who do you think is going to win?

Topic #27475 | Report this topic

Thomo  
Years ago

the W will go to Marty as he coaches the 36ers to another loss

Reply #349406 | Report this post

MikefromtheK  
Years ago

Crocs will win. 36ers don't know how to- at least under Clarke and co (Radford you fat ginger).

Reply #349411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

crocs by 10. Will be close, then same old dumb mistakes will come out in the last quarter.

Reply #349428 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

As much as I love the Sixers and will continue to support them no matter what, I think they are at an all time low and honestly I cant see them winning another game this season....

Reply #349431 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Crocs by 18. Tough road double for a good side let alone this rabble! TV bench will get some good mins otherwise 30 point blow out!!

Reply #349434 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thomo, thanks for the insight.

Reply #349437 | Report this post

Sector7G  
Years ago

Crocs to win easy. Our team has no fight, no spirit, no chance.

Reply #349441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crocs by double figures.

Reply #349444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers to win by 9

Reply #349449 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Crocs will get up by 9.
Looking forward to watching Simpson vs Holmes. This match-up could have a bearing on the end result.
Here's hoping Warren can back up with another solid offensive game.

Reply #349460 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

My heart says the 36ers, my head is leaning towards the Crocs. But you never know, the Crocs also had a tough loss last night...

Reply #349474 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Sixers to lead and look good at some point only to fall apart at some point and manage to steal the loss.
Warren for 10 points.
DJ to be better from the field but worse for rebounds.
Weigh to score 14, 6 of which will come when It's over.
Simpson to look good only to get tired when the other team has their run.
Creek to bounce back. Predicting 16 minutes.

Reply #349475 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

I doubt if the players have much to say, they are a great bunch.
What i find interesting is they said for nearly 2 full season they are rebuilding, 1st season dump a few, bring in new. How many teams win by changing their core? If the coaches don't know how to keep a team together, and the owners say he is doing a good job? Who is doing it wrong?
According to the owners its not them, according to the coaching staff its not them, prob even the fitness team think they are marvelous?
Any big company would know if the Indians are not working properly look at the chiefs.
According to them they kept the best? And recruited well? I bet they will again have to replace 1/2 the team at the end of the season as they are rebuilding. Its like football we have learnt from this game. If after so many years as a coach and still cant get it right at the elite level, I'm sure some year 3 team are looking for coaches still on their L plates.
No wonder the rumours are rife that many are not renewing, and im not talking players

Reply #349500 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

There were some positives against Melbourne but this is a big ask. Townsville will be hurting and will be glad to be at home to redeem themselves. Adelaide lost last time there and is coming of a crushing loss. I'd love to tip Adelaide, but I can't. Crocs by 14. I've done a game review below

http://www.36reasons.net/2012/02/preview-crocs-v-36ers-sun-5212.html

Reply #349501 | Report this post

be patient  
Years ago

Having watched the tigers game again tonight, I am amazed at the young age and lack of experience we put on the court as our starting (or finishing) five. we don't yet have the cagey old wortho, the clever saville or the multi-faceted Anstey- yet... We are not just waiting for a couple of the group to develop, we are waiting for the WHOLE group to develop. I know it is bloody frustrating for fans and players alike, but what do you really expect Marty and co. to do- berate and abuse these guys aka Al Westover (although I did enjoy his timeouts). I really don't think this would achieve anything. Maybe this guy is teaching the boys a valuable lesson about being in control while under pressure. If you turn it over a few times, come off for a bit and re-focus, then have another go, I reckon that is teaching good mental skills. Of course these guys are gonna make some bad decisions at times, but hang in there folks, good things come to those who wait...
Cheers

Reply #349502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crocs will win - but I hope mitch creek has a better game, he's on a steep learning curve at the moment - needs to make the most of this opportunity

Reply #349507 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Actually Isaac I feel strangely confident we might win tonight
If warren has another blinder and dj builds his confidence further
I think we can stretch them

Looking forward to see how Jacob goes was disappointed
We never kept him

Reply #349515 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I started at the AIS , and then tried the harder stuff.
E V E R Y . - . B o d y ! ..
said they'd stand behind me , when the game got rough.
BUT ! , .. the joke was on me ! , ...
there was nobody even there to bluff.
I'm going back to Tasmania . I do believe I've had enough.

Reply #349518 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

15 minutes till game time. If you thought Carfino is bad at 10:30pm, should take a look at the uncut versions/.

http://theusagetv.org/broadcast/16/34/363502/watch-townsville-crocodiles-adelaide-36ers.html

Reply #349544 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Love the Bob Zimmerman cover Camel! Some irony with the choice of that song for a basketball player, too.

Reply #349545 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-2/16/34/v-363502.html

Good times.

Reply #349553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good start by creek 3 assist and 5 points especially for someone who is no good.

Reply #349554 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Is Helliwell taking the piss with that moustache?

Reply #349555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

15 mins into the game and simpson has played 3mins. I hate you so much clarke

Reply #349556 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mitch Creek answering the haters.

Reply #349557 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, are you kidding? He picked up two early fouls and then got a third.

Reply #349558 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Yep Creek is balling, even the jump shot is falling. Just imagine how much his game would open up if he could get that to fall at a decent rate.

Reply #349559 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Yep Creek is balling, even the jump shot is falling. Just imagine how much his game would open up if he could get that to fall at a decent rate.

Reply #349560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahh I hope those "creek is not NBL standard" haterz are having some humble pie right about now..

Reply #349561 | Report this post

Watching  
Years ago

Love the big F U from Creek. Quality player who can def ball. Has one bad game and all the haters come out of the wood work "I knew he couldn't play, always said he was a hack".

I'm not saying one half of basketball makes this kid a superstar, but the ridiculous hate from some people after the tigers game was just bs.

Reply #349564 | Report this post

wildcats80  
Years ago

Anyone who watched 1st half online having issues with live steam in 2nd half

Reply #349565 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah doesnt seem to be working. Sucks, i had it on mute and was enjoying.

Reply #349566 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Yes, wildcats80. Just threw the cat at the screen. Fortunately, it was a wildcat but ..... dang, where's the online feed gone? Sick of staring at the halftime shootout guy. Steve, Shane, please turn the online feed back on!

Reply #349567 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

8.18pm - just came back on.

Reply #349568 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Awesome, thanks for the heads up Moses! And on queue the 6ers are falling apart ahhh boy

Reply #349569 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Those Herbert fouls have swung the game. What did he do?

Reply #349570 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

24-10, bloody useless the 36ers are in the 3rd quarter

Reply #349571 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

10 pint 3rd quarter, is how you go about losing a game you have had a double digit lead in. This season cant finish fast enough. Side note, id LOVE to see Eddie Gill in a 36er uniform, he plays how a high paid import should.

Reply #349572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers made a whopping 3 FG in the 3rd quarter.

Reply #349573 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Isaac was a foul and then the refs said he pushed Gill after the initial foul... i THINK anyways. Game was well and truly changing before that play anyways. Watchout for the Crocs, with Schenscher getting his rhythm back, this team could cause some upsets in the playoffs.

Reply #349574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would love Luke in a sixers uniform, bad call by Clarke on that one. Clarke said in the paper today that Aussie talent was his number 1 priority well why did you let one of the better big men go? Dj could have backed him up and shifted between 4-5. Unless a player comes back from overseas (highly unlikely) we won't get any good aussie's.

Reply #349575 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Anon Clarke said it was to do with a promise he had made to DJ to make him the focus, not a back up. The signs were there back then, that Clarke was out of his depth in this business. Shame, Luke wanted to be a 36er and was ready to sign.

Reply #349576 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Capitulation in the end.

Reply #349578 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Not much left to say about this season. Consistently bad, im done with the emotional out cries about what needs to change. Energy wasted.

Reply #349579 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Besides Ng and Creek no one plays with any heart. Once again we get demolished with stupidity from coaching panel.

We should stop playing Bartlett and give more time to Ng and Daly. The guy is a lair and he doesn't take anything from a timeout and put it into action.

I can't believe players did nothing all game but Marty kept putting back in there dreaming of a results. Why he benched Creek who was having a blinder is beyond me.

Good game Jacob.

Reply #349580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe he should have played dj at the 4. 7ft,local defensively minded bigs don't fall of trees. I no balls was playing well so thats why dj wouldn't start at the 4 but now would be perfect. Have a look at how many 2nd chance points the crocs got tonight.

Reply #349581 | Report this post

Rhea 12  
Years ago

SACK CLARK. Creek played real well though on the bright side.

Reply #349582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not having a dig but Ng might play with heart but his not up to nbl standard. Maybe last guy on a roster not 6th or 7th option.

Reply #349583 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Agree Anon, 7'1 guys with coordiantion alone are rare. Mini cult status and local aswell, is icing on the cake! Schenscher should be a 36er, but that time has passed. The future now must evolve around upgrading on Ballinger and change the coaching staff. The current group are not responding to anything Clarke says. Even if what Clarke says is the right move, if the group have lost faith, its as good as done.

Reply #349584 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Simpson 2nd highest eff. rating gets 15 mins.
Warren ZERO assists for an import P/G.

Jacob & Luke not required by 36ers.

As the old Labor slogan said "IT'S TIME"

Reply #349585 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

So Creek gets 3rd highest minutes tonight and is on at the end of the game but the coaches didn't play him enough? And last night his poor game is due to coaches having destroyed his confidence but tonight his good game is in spite of the coaching? Boy - a bit of rationality please, folks.

Reply #349586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who though Kobe? Balls has a nice salary to play with but I doubt that a star eg ingles, Barlow etc will come home. We need a star not role players. I also hope Management can get Williamson back, from my mail he wants to come back and he is MVP quaility

Reply #349588 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

For the people getting on the Simpson didnt play enough bandwagon he had 3 fouls in the first 2 minutes

Reply #349589 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Haven't seen the game but will still watch the replay despite knowing the result...

Went out to the shop and to drop off a DVD to a mate and we're up 48-43 at half time. I get back and there is 2 minutes left and we're down by 16. WTF???

Good to see Mitch Creek have a great game. Can't say I was one of the haters after Friday so I can safely say it was good to see him bounce back well.

Clarke is now 14-34 as 36ers coach and we're on a 6 game losing streak. I'll admit I don't mind reading his articles so I wonder what Boti will have to say in The Advertiser tomorrow...

Reply #349591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek teaching the haters a lesson? Wtf?? The Creek 'hate' I've been reading is that he won't be a superstar like many would have you believe. Tonight's effort in a 20 point loss does little to prove to me that he will be a superstar. Two whole seasons of nothing and he has a half where he's on fire and persons supposedly in the know are saying 'I told you so'.

Comical stuff.

Wooden spoon presentation at last home game??

Reply #349592 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Id throw all of Ballinger's money at a big time import, doesn't matter what position he is, but he MUST be a game breaker. Trying to follow Perth's plan of even decent players across the board hasnt worked for us, so time to work around a franchise player, and get the crowd engaged again with supporting a hero type player. This squad is bad, boring as hell to watch and fans wont be come next season if the team resembles what they are now.

Reply #349593 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Anon, most of us don't believe Creek will be a superstar in the NBL. At best he'll develop into a very good player but he's no 'franchise player', not yet anyway. Its just that after Friday nights performance against Melbourne (especially his 2 turnovers mid-way through the 4th among other things like botched showboating dunks) it was good to see him bounce back the very next game with his best game in the NBL to date.

And yep, this time we are definitely back in the bomb shelter....and this on a weekend when the Hawks lost by 41.

Reply #349595 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Kobe - I'm not sure about the fans not coming if things don't change. History suggests our fans are a relentlessly hopeful bunch and have kept turning up in league leading numbers ever since the Powerhouse opened.

Let's face it, the fans have not had much to turn up for, for over 5 seasons now and still they're there. Fundamentally, I think the fans love the 36ers and, while they find it hard to forgive failure, still come out expecting things to improve. I think they will return next year as well. And, sooner or later, the fans will get their reward. I just hope it's sooner!

Reply #349596 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Ive been one of those fans, so ive seen a fair bit. And i can this is as boring a style of basketball ive seen a 36ers team play. No one has a voice, they are all ghosts. A few of my mates who have also been die hards, have already said they wont be there if Clarke's 3 year plan plays out. Basically few people i know, will stay interested and go to the odd game etc but will only re sign as season ticket holders when their is a change at the helm. Those Crocs played some fast paced run and gun basketball tonight, they are fun to watch. We have no personality which is a first for mine.

Reply #349597 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Carfino and Heal, that opening scene will be giving me nightmares for years to come. Awkward television.

Reply #349600 | Report this post

Singlets  
Years ago

Kobe really, you sound like you want people to not sign up. Why does everyone think taking money from a struggling club is an answer. When things do turn around and you come back out of the woodwork I hope the club refuses your membership.

And just to clarify, yes Jacob not wanted by the 36ers and not wanted by the other 8 teams as well. He probably needed that to do something about his last 2 seasons (his worst 2 of his career)when a chance popped up.

And Luke, did not want to come to Adelaide !!

Reply #349601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luke was ready to sign and Marty pulled the contract away and gave the minutes to dj. Luke signed 1 year at the crocs then when Marty realized he made a huge f up he tried to get him back this yr but Luke signed a multi year deal at the crocs. I really like dj, he has loads of talent but If luke was here teams wouldn't be getting as many easy n second chance shots. Hill, holmes had enough time to prove themselves.

Reply #349602 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Singlets, it is what it is. The product has to offer a minimal amount of interest about it, to keep people forking out there hard earned cash. This is as bad as its been since ive been supporting, which is a real shame.

And your dead wrong about Luke Schenscher not wanting to come back to the 6ers, it was verbally agreed upon. But your entitled to you're opinion, even if it goes against the facts.

Reply #349603 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"Awkward television"

That's exactly how i'd describe ONEHD's NBL Coverage.

Reply #349604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Team needs a major dose of personality, both on and off court. They fade out too much in second halves - no ATTITUDE.

Reply #349607 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I'm not trying to second guess the coaches but Schenscher was killing Simpson in the 1st half with his movement and height, a complete mismatch. I know he's not the best defender around but it might have been worth putting DJ on Big Red IMO. At least there wouldn't be a 15cm height difference...

Reply #349608 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Weigh's the player to get fans engaged - Clarke told us.
11 , W . Helliwell a coupla nice passes.
Schenscher scores easily on Simpson and Johnson , but nothing on Helliwell . I read on here that he cain't play. So , I must be wrong... half-time..Don't try no-doz

Reply #349609 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Ok, I've seen enough. I'm sick to death of seeing Stephen Weigh getting the ball and immediately putting up a fucking bomb with 10 or more seconds left on the shot clock in the 4th quarter of a game...

At just about every one of our 15 games we've lost he's done this. Ok I know he's injured but damn, enough is enough.

Reply #349611 | Report this post

Quasi  
Years ago

Good effort from Creek after a stinker on Friday. Simpson defending Schenscher all match (when he was on the court) until the last 4 minutes was an absolute joke. Ok to try it and see how he went, but massive height difference and was killed from the beginning to the end. I know Johnson's not a good defender, but surely the coaching staff could have tried something else - double teaming, Johnson, changing up the defence etc. Truly frustrating to watch all game. Helliwell, Ng and Bartlett need to go next season. They don't offer anything to the team whether because of the coaching or they're just not good enough

Reply #349612 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I just want to see what we would do with this team and another coach. Clark might not have done heaps wrong tonight but I think he has already lost the players confidence. Him having 1 decent coached game is pointless now.

Weigh needs to harden the f$%K up and take the ball to the ring instead of standing back and just shooting constantly.
Creek showed what he could have been doing all year, if Clark was such a good AIS coach you struggle to see the improvment he has given Creek.
DJ really for a guy averaging 16 points you put some shots up tonight that were average looking..didnt know he was averaging 8 rebounds though, would be 14ish if he put in the effort Simpson did!

I work weekends, going to games costs me that days income (sunday games only). This team REALLY doesnt make me want to do that right now and I will be pissed if I decide to take Sunday off and we have another lack of effort loss.

Reply #349613 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Holden, if Weigh is injured as everyone keeps mentioning then he shouldn't be leading the league in minutes.

Good to see the Sixers finally use Creeks strengths in offence for a change. He finally got the ball in the post or was used inside.

Weigh with the great start but then did nothing the rest of the game and went back into his coast mode.....

Why Clarke went with the strategy of Simpson guarding Schenscher is unbelievable but I guess expected by a coach with his losing record.

Why Creek was taken off after 3 minutes in the 3rd is very strange also. His replacement was Herbert whose best play of the game was fouling off. Why would Clarke persist with him for the last 7 minutes of the 3rd and then 5 minutes of the last quarter? He offered nothing and played 25 minutes. Why didn't Clarke realise Creek was having an excellent game and to let him keep playing. Instead its more important Weigh gets the minutes.

Reply #349614 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

KingJames I wish I had an answer to that but even Clarke has said he's playing injured. It doesn't make sense.

This is what we should be seeing from Creek almost every game. Pity his coach seems to like benching those who are doing well and giving good minutes to others, like Herbie, who stink up the joint more than the current crop of NBL referee's...

Once Schenscher's offense started to get on top of Simpson (er...from the first time he touched the ball that is) Clarke should have had DJ (or Helliwell) helping out with a double team. If Big Red got a pass off to an open man then live with it but that wouldn't happen every time. To play Simpson on him the whole time both were on the court at the same time was pointless. The only reason it didn't hurt us in the first half was because we managed to hold the rest of the Crocs out. Once our D went out the window with our O in the 2nd half the Crocs exploited the Schenscher/Simpson mismatch and Clarke did nothing to stop it.

Skud, that's exactly my point about Weigh. In the last (and often starting late in the 3rd) he consistently gets the ball with 10-15 seconds or more of the shot clock remaining and just bombs one away with complete disregard for what is needed by the team, or if he has a defender playing him close. Nine times out of ten he doesn't even try to look for a more open team mate or drive to the hoop, he just camps himself near or outside the 3pt line and bombs away. And the sad thing is that he has a partner in crime in Nathan Herbert who has a bad habit of doing the same bloody thing.

5-15, last place and on a 6 game losing streak with our next 3 games against Townsville and Perth at home and another game in Melbourne. HOPEFULLY we can get to 8-15 or at least 7-16 but somehow right now I can't help but feel it will be 5-18 once the month is out leaving Adelaide like they are right now, without a win in 2012...

Reply #349615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow Creek finally has one decent game and all the fanbois start punching holes in their chests.

Got his season stats handy? Didn't think so.

Keep in mind Brad Hill had a 30 point game in the playoffs a few years ago.

Reply #349616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Luke showing us what we could've had with a game high 22.

Smashed on the road by the Crocs where we scored an appalling 23 points in the 2nd half now on a 6 game losing streak seriously, surely that's it for Marty?

SOS really need to pull their heads out of the sand now.

Reply #349617 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

the televised time outs in the last half were just sad, Clarke explaining hard .... then asking " everyone got that ?" .........answered by players with silence and no direct eye contact.

I actually feel sorry for Marty.

Reply #349619 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

Another promising start, another critical foul (gave them 5pts), another bad loss.

Would be good to see the Creek bashers from Friday come out and backup those comments. I'd also like to see all the Warren fans come out and convince me he's one of the best imports in the league. 0 assists in 30min with 6pts and 0 rebounds. Not good enough. And don't just point to friday's game- consider the opponent, the team structure and the fact we lost.

Eddie Gill- 16pts, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 steals and a big win.

I've done an extensive review on my blog

http://www.36reasons.net/2012/02/oops-we-did-it-again-adelaide-v.html

Reply #349620 | Report this post

Average OKKA  
Years ago

Clarke can't score the ball for them, especially in the 3rd....

Reply #349621 | Report this post

harry  
Years ago

lol
23 points in a second half

not really a surprise is it?

just hand us the spoon now

Reply #349622 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

With a bit of luck the players will be at the 36ers Auction. I'll shout them a beer.

Reply #349624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SACK CLARKE & RADFORD

Reply #349629 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I think Schenscher got 20 points , mostly on Simpson.
Gotta easy one on Johnson and Weigh , who cain't do much injured. Schenscher didn't look like scoring on Helliwell,
in the second , for a coupla minutes. Just like Nevill in Perth one game. Still , ya don't like Helliwell, so Simpson it was.
Weigh fans have had a good season .
The NZ guy from Perth , just forgotten his name , cain't shoot. ..- Aw well , ..
What difference which side you're on if you're sailing on the Titanic?

Reply #349632 | Report this post

michael  
Years ago

such extreme fans in adelaide. instead of accepting a poor game from a young player, he is not up to it and has no future. he turns it around and the doubters point to his season stats or that it was a loss or mostly in one half. how about some middle ground? everything must be an argument to be won. 'ha ha! i told you this player was garbage. i;m laughing as he fails to achieve your benchmark'.

Reply #349637 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Titanic?

Camel, thanks for that! I am now trying to get out of my mind the image of Marty and the Rat on the bow of the Titanic!

(refer Leonardo and Kate)

Reply #349638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if raving about Eddie Gill, perhaps you should "consider the opponent".

Reply #349641 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Schenscher didn't score anything but free throws (from fouls committed when Helliwell was on the bench) when Helliwell was on the court. Didn't check how long they were both on for, but it would've been a logical match-up.

Only problem with that is that you're then reacting rather than being proactive. Helliwell is not a threat on offence. If you play Helliwell for most of the time Schensch is on, Simpson and Johnson are going to spend more time off the court.

Reply #349644 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Isaac - Two very nice assists and a sweet 17 footer from Helliwell , but ain't gonna give as much as Johnson and Simpson in offense.
Jack - The clown crying in the alleyway image. I cain't get it outta my head.
Big Ads - Wake up ! The Titanic sails at dawn.

Reply #349645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul Rees didnt give much on offence.

Reply #349646 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

pAUL REES
COULD PLay and was franchise when came to championships unlike the big Hellipoor

Reply #349653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Helliwell needs to foul opponents harder and make then earn the free throw opportunity. He fouls too soft and too quickly.

Foul harder.

Reply #349667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul Rees got posterised by John Dorge

Reply #349695 | Report this post

vertigo  
Years ago

can only hope SOS are like a football club.
when you hear that the board has the coach's full backing, what do they do a few weeks later?

sack the coach!

i swear if they do, I will be a good boy and go to church every week until whenever Lent is!

Reply #349696 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Tropical booz was spot on!!

Reply #349699 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Tropical booz was spot on!!

Reply #349700 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

While in the end , even his love child wasn't looking at the play board .

" They're not taking the losses hard enough ." Maher on TV news just then .
Stirling ; " They're in a priviledged position....."
They're gonna get a rocket , this week , from Maher and Stirling , out there.
Betta go and have a look.

Reply #349704 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Last night it should have been quite obvious from early in the game that:

Only Helliwell could defend Schenscher &
Simpson was a threat to score or attract the double in the low block every time he got the ball and he was also capable of matching or bettering Holmes on the boards.

But he was left on LS and as a result was in foul trouble all night.

Woolpert realised that early on and made Luke the focal point whenever Simpson was matched up on him. Clarke failed to counter. Very ordinary coaching IMO.

Simpson is just about the most poorly utilised player I have ever seen in an NBL team.

Reply #349706 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw .: To Clarke and Weigh , - Stirling's gotta built in bulls..t detector , and so has Maher , by the way.

Reply #349707 | Report this post

Boss  
Years ago

helliwell doesnt need to be a threat on offence. just a big man defensive stopper

Reply #349709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These 'x year plans' never work out in football so why would they work out in basketball? In the AFL it's been Richmond and Melbourne with their 'x year plans' and both of those teams have been stinking it up for a decade. When you aim for mediocrity that's what you tend to get...

Reply #349718 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

In some ways I think Clarke might have been better off having Helliwell guard Schenscher and rotate DJ and Simpson at PF with DJ also playing the 5 spot as needed.

It was obvious from very early in the game that Simpson simply couldn't combat the 15cm height difference between himself and Big Red and with Schenscher actually hitting his shots it wasn't pretty to watch. As good a defender as Simpson is he just had no answer. Question is why didn't Clarke or Radford see it? Woolpert definitely saw it and as fstos pointed out he exploited it. For the Crocs it was a mismatch made in heaven.

Reply #349720 | Report this post

Ochocinco  
Years ago

I hear from BrownTown that the crowd of 3322 for the 6ers game was the lowest crowd in their 20 season history!?!

Reply #349721 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Except the game was played in Townsville

Reply #349723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Aw .: To Clarke and Weigh , - Stirling's gotta built in bulls..t detector , and so has Maher , by the way."
Did they have their detectors turned off during the interview process ??

Reply #349731 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Although he cops of lot on this forum, Helliwell does have a role in the team, but is poorly used.

He's big, he's bad, he's ugly.

So why send him outside the 3 point arc?

He doesn't need to score in offense, just alter the opponent's favoured way of scoring and rebound. Use his skills under the ring to stop the easy penetration (Sixers Help D is non-existant), get the boards and find the outlet pass. In offense, park him on a block to either feed him a high ball for them to foul him, or else it ties up a second player to free up a shooter. Having him there for the offensive rebound has got to be better than forcing him set screens.

Reply #349737 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Jack, Helliwell outside the arc reminds me of the horrible offense the Boomers were running in Sydney Olympics.

Reply #349745 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I don't think it was Stirling and Maher that interviewed Clarke and Weigh . They commence to doing it this week.
Weigh comes out for a little while , sometimes.
Does his own thing , so he can play 34mins.
As great as you are man , you'll never be greater than yourself.
Others have to sweat , out there.

I don't think Clarke and Radford were really swithched on to guarding Schenscher.
Woolpert was gonna rest Schenscher when Helliwell was on. Helliwell told them twice that Ben Allen was coming in , but they didn't hear him.
Woolpert v Clarke = meaning v innocuousness.

Reply #349749 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Camel, I think it could be a reference to Stirling being involved somehow in the initial selection of Clarke.

From back before the decision was made:

Due to the amount of interest shown by local and internationally experienced coaches the 36ers have welcomed World Championship winning coach Jan Stirling's input into the exhaustive selection process.

Stirling has volunteered to work alongside 36ers staff and one other yet to be named outsider to ensure the right person is selected for the job.

Reply #349753 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

it sucks cause i sooo badly want to love this team.

dj is such an exciting offensive threat. will only get better.

simpson is a workhorse. super around the basket.

creek is an amazing athlete.

warren has breakneck speed and is a super hot shooter from range.

ng can light up off the bench.

weigh is a great mid-range shooter.

honestly if you fill in the gaps right this is a great team. unfortunately we may not see them come together in time.

the sixers need to approach newley with ball's salary and tell him one day his family can come see his guernsey up with mahers and davis's. will likely get turned turn but need to try, otherwise next best like.

i dont think sacking clarke with a year to go is the anwser. it gets teams nowhere doing that crap. he has one more year, give him that. let him go after a strong scoring sg who can defend the guards in the nbl ( who are killing us). if he fails then we move on, we should have plenty of time to be scoping out who we want and most of marty's players he signed shouldnt be tied to us so the new coach can go after who he wants.

Reply #349770 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

phil, I don't mind the idea of demoting him but keeping him involved. I just don't think they can risk another season like this again.

Not sure if Newley is within reach. Delly is a guy who could help on D. Hate to harp on about him, but he'd bring versatility. If he wasn't up to starting, start Crosswell. If he was, then he could play PG and also SG when Crosswell was at the point.

Reply #349777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with chasing Delly, id offer him Ballingers money. Its a good educated risk IMO.

It may be a bit of a higher risk but id offer Warrens spot to Cadee, it may be overpaying but i think he has tremendous potential and could be one of the best PG's for years to come, and being behind Gibson at the Gold Coast we would be able to offer him extra minutes and the major role which may be attractive. We would probably have to over pay to get him, hence offering him Warrens spot and $$ (or atleast most of it) with the chance he is the next top PG.

outside of getting a Marko/Mills from overseas i doubt there are any better Aussie PG's around as Gibson, Martin signed multi yr contracts last year.

Our guard line up definatly needs improvement, so id only keep 1 of Herbert, Ng, Bartlett at the most my preferred option would be to grab Delly, Cadee, keep Crosswell and sign a cheap import to come off the bench, if it works with the points cap, salary cap wise id basically offer them the say 50k that Herberts on which would probably get a young or SEABL/NZBL type import wanting a chance to prove themselves, id look at someone who can score and has been dong well in SEABL/NZBL for a few years names like Massingale, Pace come to mind.

I think a line up of

PG Cadee/Crosswell
SG Dellavedova/cheap import (Herbert if we cant fit a import in the points cap)
SF Weigh/Creek
PF Simpson or Williamson/Ballinger (on a much cheaper contract)
C Johnson/Helliwell (wont play much as Ballinger will back up C aswell, but Helliwell is handy defensively against guys like Khazzouh)

would be great, but very young so may still be some growing pains but if it stays together for a number of years should be very successful. Assembling a line up like this would be a good challenege for Clarke and his AIS connections, if he can pull it off id be prepared to let him coach next year, assuming he hasnt been replaced before hand.

It is a fairly similar line up to this years, but i think it could work, keeping the young core of Weigh, Johnson, Creek who should continue to imporve individually and playing together, having good veterans like Crosswell and Ballinger off the bench, and adding top young talent like Dellavedova and Caddee is great thing for the future and the now.

Imagine if we managed to get them all hold them for the next 5 years, i doubt too many teams will have young Aussie talent as good as Creek Weigh, Johnson, Cadee, Dellavedova, going forward.

You could even make that your starting 5 PG Cadee, SG Delly, SF Creek, PF Weigh, C Johnson, with a veteran like Crosswell and a import guard and import fwd completing the 8 man rotation.

If we stay patient, retain our young stars and add to it with guys like Cadee and delly good things will come back to the 36ers!

Reply #349795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BTW I was working on the assumption that guys like Ingles, Newley, Barlow, etc where out of the 36ers/NBLs reach, as if within reach the club needs to do everyting possible to sign them.

Reply #349796 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

At least we're going to get a high draft pick.

Reply #349801 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

In think any move apart from some movement of Clarke from coaching role is going to get ticket holders excited as we got fooled last two years .

Reply #349809 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Daniel Johnson , in The Advertiser , was seeing what his agent comes up with for next season , whether that's here or elsewhere , he told us.
(Maybe in Melbourne , I'd guess. )

Suze is gonna give five thousand bucks at the 36ers Ausction on Sat 18thFeb , in a bid to win a date with Wade Helliwell .

Reply #349814 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Phil, what can you see that nobody else can, that would indicate there has been any improvement whatsoever in the last 2 seasons that would warrant putting up with another year of Clarke? Not only no sign of improvement but no change at all as far as results go. 2 wasted years are more than enough, why go for a 3rd? Things are not going to suddenly turn around in the 3rd. The fans will not tolerate another year. They are screaming for changes now.

Anon #349795, you can't have a team mostly made up of juniors that will develop in the years to come for 2 reasons, firstly the NBL is not a developing league, it needs to be a professional league at all times, and secondly, the experienced senior players are needed to bring this professionalism whilst at the same time the juniors are learning from them. Clarke is a developer of juniors but not for the NBL, the NBL development comes when they actually train and play with experienced NBL players. This is why we will never be successful whilst Clarke is using this league as a junior training field and the 36ers is fielding a team of juniors.

Reply #349823 | Report this post

MikefromtheK  
Years ago

Also the problem with junior development is the better they get the higher salaries you got to offer. NBL doesn't have much leighway for salary cap so the players end up getting poached.

Reply #349834 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

im not saying i want clarke here for another year, just saying sacking coaches and paying them out rarely works out very well.

im just worried we would likely grab whatever was available coach wise then get told we stinged on imports because we had to pay out clarkes contract. then be stuck again.

whatever happens i want it done right next time. people say we cannot afford another shit year, i say we absolutely cannot afford another shit 2 or 3 years. that would come close to killing us.

Reply #349880 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

very much agree with going after delly..

doesnt he have another year of college after this year though??

as for cadee im a fan, and certainly could play him along side warren for scoring punch and both can handle the rock the only problem is that our weakness is defending guards especially any guard thats not a stick, running with cadee and warren we would likely have another similar year to this one.

newley can score and also guard the small quicks or bigger guards also. im very aware its unlikely but try playing every emotional card you can sixers. take a photo of a girl crying at a sixer game whatever.

god ild love delly.

outside of those i cannot think of an aussie 6'1-6'5 who can score regularly and defend strongly that will be available. since when did this become a hole in australian ball?

Reply #349883 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Much as I love watching Delly for St Mary's, he's a bit too slow up the court for me in an NBL setting. I'm a run 'n' gun, "play it fast" kind of fan.

Reply #349885 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

phil, not so much a hole as it is asking a lot and competing with other teams to get it. Not every team has a Gibson or Martin.

Reply #349897 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

hmm if you want a guy 6'8 ish who can score around the basket or a j from range we have plenty of those.

6'10 + international level players yeah we have tonnes of those ( obviously alot playing international).

6'1ish hard defenders some who can score as well, yeah there is a tonne of those around the league.

6'3- 6'7 guys who can score from range or slash and are strong defensively ????? newley and ingles are the only ones who come to mind? hell i cant even think of even a close equivalent in the nbl? maybe crawford or bose but not even close to what im refering to. both more stop and pop.

actually i think we have a problem with almost zero australian players over 6'3 who can actually put the ball on the floor. any players we have in that height range are stop and pop shooters. any with any athletic gift wait for an open lane/ fast break. so trying to find someone in the height range who can lock down defend and not be a liability on offense are super sparse. who in the nbl is in the height range and a strong stopper?

Reply #349950 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:49 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754