skip
Years ago

36ers sign Luke Schenscher for two years

They will announce a 2 year deal with a 'Renowned Australian Player' at 10:30am this morning.

Judging by comments on here in the last week, you would assume that it is Schenscher.

Topic #28315 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

Correct.

Reply #362514 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Benny Lewis

Reply #362515 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Excellent news! Very happy with this signing!

Reply #362517 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Good work by the club. Luke obviously has family here, but it would've taken a small amount of effort at least to correct the awkwardness of the last attempt to sign Luke. Looking forward to seeing how he fits in.

I would make him co-captain with Crosswell. He's local, identifiable and personable. Then, after Crosswell, I would look to Creek for some leadership because as much as he's still got a lot of improving to do, he is naturally confident and out there to win.

Reply #362521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great call isaac. Hopefully we can get a bit more news on the team as well. TV and newspaper. Great signing by the club.

Reply #362523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

shit signing... now we got 2 soft as putty centers and not grit what so ever inside..

Reply #362524 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

great signing l think this will help DJ no ends still have no defence but have scoring power

Reply #362525 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Having two bigs can cause problems but it can also create advantages. I guess it will come down to how good the system is and how good the import guard is.

Reply #362526 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

so who would you have signed from the available free agents anon or are you just here to bitch?

Reply #362527 | Report this post

Deios58  
Years ago

DJ is mobile enough to play the 4 spot. Luke's signing is an excellent pickup.

Reply #362530 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Great news, now that we have Luke and Cadee, the 36ers could try and look at pulling out a euro aussie miracle shooter guard?

Reply #362539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Mystro, guess all the Anon posters got it right 2 weeks ago.

Reply #362540 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Great News, Welcome Home Big Red!!!

Reply #362542 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

AdelaideNow:

The addition of Schenscher, 216cm, and Johnson, 212cm, will give Adelaide an imposing frontcourt.

His signing was announced by the Sixers, a day after young star Jason Cadee had joined the club from the Gold Coast Blaze.

Reply #362543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playoffs

Reply #362544 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

Another great signing for you guys... like others have posted, you're now in the enviable position of getting imports/high value Aussies that can fill the gaps

Reply #362547 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Hey Mystro, guess all the Anon posters got it right 2 weeks ago.

*golfclap

Reply #362550 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Official announcment

Schenscher to return home.

Reply #362552 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

So does that mean the 36ers are getting both an import pg and sg? Because I don't think Weigh, DJ, or schenscher would be happy coming off the bench?

Reply #362554 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see. Another possibility is an import PF coming off the bench.

Reply #362556 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

So, the 6ers have 6 players signed. The total points used so far is 36 (34 if Creek is a 1, rather than a 3). That leaves a lot of points for the last 3 spots, plus a development player.

There should be a fair amount of salary cap space left as well - 2 year contracts could have helped keep the price per year down for a couple of these signings.

That gives the club scope for signing some very good players in those last 3 spots. Guess it depends on who's available and what they're asking for. I'd like to see Williamson suit up for the 6ers and an import shooting guard who can effectively defend opposition point guards.

Reply #362557 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Creek is a 4.

They have used 39 points.

Reply #362558 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Finally a legit signing!

This will stop any talk about Cadee & how he is a great signing - NOT!!

Reply #362559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Room for two imports and two lower grade players - Ng and a big.

Reply #362560 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Welcome home big fella!

Now, hit the weights room with DJ, put on 25kgs and study MMA until you're a 7 foot killing machine!

Reply #362561 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Signed for two years with an option for the third year. Best available South Australian player, you could say?

Ingles13, I'd say just an import SG rather than a PG too. Then either not use the second import spot, or have an all-purpose type off the bench?

Reply #362564 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Obv a good signing for club looking to forget the last two years.

But you still need a pro head coach and an assistant coach before you can get the most out of this team at an NBL level. As it stands the Sixers have kids in both positions.

Any idea of how much Schenscher is on?

Reply #362565 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

Just gonna throw it out there, and I have no idea how much he would be asking for etc. But I would chase Larry Abney at PF as an import. He is playing NZNBL, knows the league, can rebound and shoot nicely.

Reply #362567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still don't have a go 2 player 2 take over a game!! All good players, still need scores! The ranga cant play! Simple az that, u touch him he cant bang wit a knight pledger ect, still cant win it all wit that team

Reply #362569 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Weren't you guys complaining when DJ couldn't play C with Ballinger on the court? How is this any better?

Good signing for the club but going to clash with DJ I think they are basically the same player.

Reply #362570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Firstly welcome home luke. Secondly Im still keen on bringing Williamson back as the backup big. Ive heard he's keen to come back. He is diamon with better handles, a jump shot (can even shoot the 3) and is a physical beast. He can play multiple positions which will help our team

Reply #362571 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

gonna buy my first membership now, or sponsorship... good signing... finally some hope for the 6ers... Great core group of young talent and now Luke bringing some experience and more size. Still imports to go also, which will hopefully put us up a few pegs. Already a huge improvement from this time last season

Reply #362572 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

Adelaide will still suck! I am predicting a Melbourne Tigers like line-up from a few seasons ago- WAY TOO SLOW- you can't play johnson and schenscher at the same time!

Reply #362576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schenscher (25)/ Rookie (junk time)
Johnson (25) / Import (Williamson) (25)
Weigh (25) / Creek (20-25)
Import (30) / Ng (5-10)
Crosswell (20) / Cadee (20)

That's how Id run it.

Reply #362577 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

sorry, that was me, dont why my name randomly disappears!

Reply #362578 | Report this post

ever optimistic  
Years ago

QUOTE:-
Adelaide 36ers Head Coach, Marty Clarke said that he is pleased that Schenscher has agreed to play for the Club.

"We needed a talented big man to come into the team and securing Luke is a great opportunity for us, as we plan to make the finals this coming season."

---------------

Well that's a relief to read - totally explains the last 2 seasons' results then - good to know that the coaching staff have finally decided to plan for finals - should be easy now.

Reply #362579 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

tyrell, Luke and Johnson are two of the fastest bigs getting up and down the floor Melbourne had Nevill and Haliwell two of the slowest a bit of difference

Reply #362585 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Johnson is pretty athletic, i wouldn't call him "slow"

Reply #362592 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

'ever optimistic' the plan is to only make the finals - not win the c/ship! No need to get 2 excited!!

Reply #362594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How bout we get shooting guard and point guard import cadee not starter quality and crosswalk almost past It. Especially after such a bad injury.

Reply #362596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The negative posts are being negative for the sake of it. This is a very good signing on many levels, period. Fans will come the team will be competitive and only better things to come. Well done Adelaide for finally being aggressive in the free agent market.

Reply #362597 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

agreed anon

people on here would get upset if they won xlotto

This team is being built not bought

Only way that "stud" players are going to come here is to dangle big $ in front of them which then places a noose around the neck of the squad.

To gain Schensch back and add Cadee is massive for two reasons.

It has made two other teams weaker and made us stronger.

it also shows that people want to play for Marty.

we also still have around 40 points to spend on the last 4 spots.

This team has a huge capacity based on pound for pound position for position against other squads.

Reply #362602 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Lovely Signing!

Luke/Aussie
Johnson/Balls
Weigh/Creek
Expensive Import/Ng
Cadee/crosswell

Good lineup. I really would not even care if we didnt make the C'ship series aslong as we got to finals this year!

Reply #362603 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I like your team Baller#3

Get a cheap aussie big worth no more than 5 points and that still would leave 3 points in the kitty which can be used to bring in an Import if any of our players rated a 7 or more go down with a long term injury. (Schensch, Balls, DJ, Weigh)

Reply #362607 | Report this post

Hooping  
Years ago

Now go get the import PG thats playing in Mildura, would have 20 assists a game if teammates could catch his passes, he a pass first PG and super quick plus he is 6'2 by all reports.

Reply #362608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done SOS huge signing.

I'm with Paulo on this:

Schenscher (25)/ Rookie (junk time)
Johnson (25) / Import (Williamson) (25)
Weigh (25) / Creek (20-25)
Import (30) / Ng (5-10)
Crosswell (20) / Cadee (20)

Except I'd be going for a veteran back up C rather than a rookie like a Vanderjagt/Mottram/Pero V type.

I'd like the back up PF to be Ballinger but don't think he would be comfortable with that. So a Galen Young type vet dirty work import would be ideal there.

Reply #362617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be honest DJ is more of a 4 anyway. I don't see it being a huge problem. Need Luke more for rebounding and protecting the paint rather than scoring.

Reply #362618 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I actually like Annon's suggestion of Pero V as the backup frontcourt body. Always wanted to see him in a Sixers jersey.

Reply #362619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the newspaper article it also mentions that we are trying to keep balls and we have enough in the salary cap to do so.

Reply #362620 | Report this post

1. Croswell / Cadee
2. Import* / Ng
3. Weigh / Creek
4. Johnson / Abney *
5. Schench / Pero

------------------------------

Reply #362623 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

great work sixers and welcome back schensh.

that is a very potent scoring team that can hurt you many ways. i see us as very hard to shut down if we have the 3pt shooters. ng, cadee and the import must have a decent to good 3pt shot so teams dont try to bottle up the paint. assuming so teams have to plan that we are gonna score heavily on them.

the downside is that so far its not a great defensive team across the whole list but creek can lock down, shensch can own the paint so thats a good start. the import must be a good defender and not a shrimp that can be pushed around. how well he can guard and stretch the defense with his shot will go a long way to deciding if we are a good team, or a championship contending team.

the import has to be a guy that can handle the ball well, but doesnt need to own the ball all the time to score ( like bloody gilchrist).

priority has to be that guard, if its just one import + cheap aussie pf so be it, or cheap import pf ok but use max money to lure that guard.

as for calls of williamson people keep refering to him as a big....??? i thought he was 6'6??? yeah i know he has a big build and can jump, but ild rather a proper big body than a sf who plays a bit bigger... also i dont want weigh and creek to share too many minutes with someone as they might with a williamson...

Reply #362624 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I know we already have a young team, but I think we could gamble on a rookie big given that Weigh can play some PF and Johnson at C. A three-man rotation of Schenscher, Johnson, whoever (plus Weigh with some minutes) would cover PF-C OK even with foul trouble. Someone like Brock Motum or Majok Deng (if he weren't going to college).

Weigh is probably going to need to spend some time at PF to give Creek minutes anyway.

e.g.,

Crosswell/Cadee
(import)/Ng
Weigh/Creek
Johnson/(project kid)
Schenscher/(main rotation big)

Reply #362628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good post phil. On Williamson he is 2-3cm shorter and 2 kg lighter than Simpson. He's got alot better post moves than diamon 2

Reply #362629 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

ild be very happy to concentrate all our money and time on the 1 import, and try to find a young big who might then go on to something with us... or not but at least we tried.

Reply #362631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure once the season starts we will have a eleven man rotation and Schenscher will play in 2 minutes bursts, so don't get too excited people.

Reply #362640 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Plenty of Schenscher on TV and radio.
' Imports and Ballinger are still a mystery . '
That was Leeanne just then on TV news -
We have made an offer (reduced) to Ballinger
and it's up to him now to make an important decision.

Reply #362650 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Williamson is 6'6 but he is a genuine PF who can defend from 3-5.

Reply #362652 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ballinger - 'considering offers from other clubs ' just then on Ch2.

Williamson - I never seen him play . Only saw him train here for a litle while , not enough , looked more of 3 , but not enough time to judge that.

Reply #362654 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Congrats to the 36ers, great signing to get Luke back to the club.
The season now rests on the quality of the off guard import. If we are lucky enough to score a Rose, Farley, Ere type who can be a go to scorer and share some ballhandling duties then the future looks very bright.

Reply #362667 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Good pick up considering who is available on the Free Agent list. Have been impressed with Luke's performance since he last left the 36ers. But there are still 2 very real concerns with him, injury and fouls.

Reply #362678 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

Under the right circumstances I'd jump at Luke...but not with this team's needs and the players already signed. I hope I'm wrong but I think we might look back at this move as a bad idea.

I've written a lot more on today's blog

http://www.36reasons.net/2012/05/luke-schenscher-take-2.html

Reply #362681 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Terrible move. Bad frontcourt. Defensively, not great strength, rotations, rebounding. Okay offensively, but even though they have different ways of getting it in the bucket, they will still take a bit away from each other. Schenscher is overrated as well (a 12 and 6 guy for Townsville). What about that arthritic hip?

Reply #362683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schenscher and Ballinger played together on our last playoff team, I dont see a Schenscher, Johnson combo being much different, so could work, definatly need some decent defenders backing them up though.

Reply #362705 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

@ Forcey, that is the Biggest load of shit i have ever read. Hypothetical! $$$ wise we are much better off, Luke's not Pulling 200K, so we are much better off already.
Who would you have chased in FA?

Reply #362720 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

According to Channel 10, he's being paid $150k which I think is reasonable for a big centre of his ability.

Reply #362771 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

Thanks for the feedback "Hoops"

I've been saying all along you need to balance Weigh and DJ with a brute import PF, someone who is an elite defender, can guard 4 and 5's and is happy mainly rebounding, blocking shots and cleaning up inside. Too many risks in signing Schensh. Again, I have no problem with him, this is just not a situation I'd bring him into.

I'm willing to gamble on starting Cadee and backing him up with Crosswell, so I'd prefer the team went this way

C- DJ
PF- Import (as above)
SF- Weigh
SG- Import (6"5 guy who is a great defender, can hit the 3 and take it to the basket)
PG- Cadee

Bench- Creek, Crosswell, Ng, Ballinger, Veteran Big (ie Burston, Mottram)

Reply #362818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ballinger and Schenscher worked well together being backed up by Holmes and Cooper (i think), so dont see why Johnson and Schenscher cant work well, aslong as our back ups are decent defenders.

Reply #362821 | Report this post

Idiot  
Years ago

Are you guys who bag this deal watch the sixers play. All year dj was playing more like a pf. His style was similiar to chris antsey or dirk n. Dj was shooting 3 high 2s and so on, with luke in the mix they could form a damaging partnership. If it isnt working out at times hopefully we'll have the luxury of having a mobile big import like williamson or simpson to come off the bench into the mix, and that way our big players wont be overworked. dj can always play c when lucke's on the bench. This is gonna mould dj into a superstar of the nbl. how good will he play nowing luke's got his back.

With creek and weigh as well, get a gd ball handling, gd shooting sg and well have a versitle team that i think will be competetive if not domininant especially if they stay together for a couple of years.

What about wilkinson from nz for the backup pf, c role?

Reply #363368 | Report this post

D@B  
Years ago

Ballinger and Schencher worked well together?

From memory that season was pretty much a disaster until Julius Hodge arrived

Reply #363372 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wilkinson wouldn't play for back-up money. I would be expecting a budget back-up big with more focus on the SG import.

Reply #363378 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:00 am, Sat 11 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754