Mr Robinson
Years ago

Ballinger hypothetical

If you are Adam Ballinger right now what are you thinking?

The 36ers are building a team that is focused around youth, and not around yourself like it once was. On paper the team looks to be better than the last few years. This could be your last genuine crack at winning it as your career winds down.
You are coming off playing 29 games out of a possible 56 in the last 2 years.
The 36ers have offered you a reduced income to stay as a role player off the bench even though you will most likely play minutes similar to a starter.
You have some offers from interstate teams for more money but it means packing up your family and moving.
If you leave the 36ers you risk tarnishing a legacy of being one of the club greats.

Do you still chase the money or stay in a familiar environment where you have your family and home set up. Do you repay the 36ers for paying you a relatively large salary for all last season?

Topic #28325 | Report this topic

Igotmadskills  
Years ago

His wife also has a personal training business here so we all know the wives make the decisions so I say he is staying. Unless the offer her gets is for multiple years at great money..

Reply #362714 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The Sixers need an experienced head around the team to guide youth. That is another consideration for him.

Reply #362724 | Report this post

Red  
Years ago

He is not staying with 36ers.
Tiger bound

Reply #362725 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Red, we hear that around this time every year. Maybe it's true this year.

Reply #362727 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Here's a hypothetical...Ballinger is rated an 8, coming off two injury riddled seasons he is a risky pick up for a lot of clubs, especially being rated an 8.
If no clubs are willing to take that risk given how many points he is taking up in your side, is this a restriction of trade from the NBL?
If he is unemployable due to his points rating what is he going to do with himself???
He won't get picked up in Europe and there's not a lot he can do back home, where does he go? SEABL?

Reply #362729 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Basketball careers are short, make money while you can, who cares what people think of you. When past Wildcats players who didnt finish up in Perth show up at the jungle and do something at a time out or whatever, they always get a loud cheer from the croud.

His point rating will hurt him though especially coming off an injury.

I suspect he will get picked up at a lower point rating late in the peice, IF he doesnt cop out and settle for less money/time and stay in Adelaide.

Reply #362730 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Redhage got no point reduction but worked hard on his rehab to be ready to go come season start. Cant see Ballinger being treated differently by the NBL.

Personally I would like to think Ballinger will stay on at a reduced rate and role obviously subject to passing fitness tests etc

36ers are one of the only teams that can handle his points ranking too

Reply #362735 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Im not sure wives always get such a big say with pro athletes when there is a big discrepency between money/role offered. A lot of athletes tend to be pretty single minded about getting the best job.

Reply #362741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chanes of winning this year? Hahaha.

Remember Marty is still coaching. That's probably a downside for him. Maybe tough trainings could lead to more injuries on his older body?

Reply #362743 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Personally I don't see Balls moving to another team.
I think his family is too settled in Adelaide, the wife has a successful Personal Training business here and I'd expect them to stay.

Let's wait and see what happens.

Reply #362746 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Why should repaying the 36ers have anything to do with it, when they in part were reponsible for the bad medical advice that got him into this situation in the first place.

In the past, Balls has performed in a very successful tandem with Luke, but that was when Scotty was coaching. Balls never had the same chemistry with Johnson but that was partly because he had to defend centres in that situation.

He is faced with an interesting decision.

Reply #362748 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

I think there is something to be repaid to a team that has supported him very well and could easily argue have not gotten value for money

There are a number of rumors / stories out there about Balls not doing his rehab perhaps as well as he should have first time around which may have then lead to the re-injury

I guess it comes down to weighing up whether you think years of underachieving whilst still getting paid big money means that you pay that faith back at some point

I would also think that he has some what of a name here in Adelaide that would help open doors post career. Not that many interstate would be as familiar with him.

Reply #362752 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

There are a number of rumors / stories out there about Balls not doing his rehab perhaps as well as he should have first time around which may have then lead to the re-injury

@ Muzz Buzz, Spot on!! Taking advice from someone very close to him over medical staff.

Reply #362754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon Balls being left to the last minute was a very poor move from the club and consequently he will sign elsewhere. His been seen around local stadiums training and shooting so id say that suggests his firing up for a contract elsewhere.

Reply #362756 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If he can't get a contract, partly due to the points rating, he can apply for a reduction - historically there has been an allowance for that situation. In his case, his points rating is partly based on the year before last whereas teams might be factoring the season just been quite strongly.

I'm surprised he's not playing 15-20 MPG with an ABL side to show his renewed ability to either the 36ers or other teams. Or out training with the 36ers as soon as he's able. If he can get back to training and show where he's at, that could show enough to bump up offers.

Right now, he's rated an 8, as are free agents Loughton and Nevill.

Reply #362758 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Wow Anon - a pro basketballer has

'been seen around local stadiums training and shooting

That could only mean he is leaving for another club.

Reply #362761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

skip, a long shot assumption maybe, but my thiinking is why hes not training at the Dome? isnt that where you would be if you were balls and going to re sign here.

Reply #362764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ballinger has supposedly not spoken to coaches or other 36ers staff including medics for a while now

seems he or someone he know thinks they know what's best

hard to say that you want to be a 36er when you show no interest in it at all

"its not how you meet me it is how you leave me"

Reply #362765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ That sounded like a load of bs anon.

It don't take a genius to know what's best for yourself! We are talking about a professional, not a 8yo kid!

Reply #362774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure Ballinger's wife is from Victoria originally too. If the Tigers offer him a multi-year deal for say double or maybe even triple what the 36ers might be offering he'd be silly not to take it. He owes the 36ers nothing for being the best player on the team and major drawcard for the four years prior to last season.

I really hope he does re-sign I just think it looks highly unlikely especially now that he would be coming off of the bench.

Reply #362817 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Channel 10 are hyping up a story I imagine is about Ballinger:

Is a star 36ers player about to walk out on the club?
Kinda harsh wording...

'817, he would indeed be silly not to take double or triple. Of course, the Tigers would be of a questionable mindset to offer anything like that. Doubt the multiple is quite double or triple though. My guesses:

Paid last year: $180k
Being offered now: $80k
A Tigers offer: $110-120k?

Reply #362820 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Id be guessing around those figures too Isaac. More than that though, the Tigers probably want him to be a bigger piece of the team as well as offering more dosh.

Reply #362822 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

The wife's business will thrive where ever it is.

Reply #362823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Channel 10 and Mark Aiston on Twitter suggesting a 'star player walking out of the club', interview on the sports report tonight.

Sounds like Tigers have pounced..

Reply #362831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL on Twitter confirming that Ballinger has left.

Best of luck to the guy, will never forget that deep 3 he hit to beat Perth in a wild comeback that included a Jacob Holmes 3pt shot that although not getting above the rim, somehow dropped!

Reply #362835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, Okay I heard he was on around $200K last season and if the Tigers signed him it would probably be as the centrepiece of their team so assumed their offer might be around $140-$150K. I thought the 36ers might be offering around $50K-$80K more as a token gesture as I don't think Marty has really ever rated Balls that highly.

But yeah you'd know better than I would what kind of figures are closer to the mark.

Reply #362836 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Actual figure would be between our two guesses. I think your guess at the Tigers number could be a bit higher than they'd risk (last time anyone saw him play, he was definitely not at his best) and higher than they'd probably need to offer to get him out of here.

Anyway, he's off to Melbourne it seems - thread here.

Reply #362842 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:46 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754