Boys junior league

Its almost finals time,and the boys 14s look like a 2 horse race.Lions should prevail with their offseason recruiting and an improving big .The 16s are alot more open with the top 5 teams able to upset each other.
Notably scores are very low lately ,could this be the boys program of late,state etc.Will a well structured team beat a team of individuals who relentlessly take on everything in their path?My monies on structure .

Topic #29062 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Is there a topic title you forgot? I can't work out if your post is Juniors in general, just U14 boys, U16s too, team play vs individuals, etc.

Reply #375806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Lions group seem to run very little to no set offence. Their structure looks to be a bit of dribble drive motion and motion screening offence. Their defence is very, very aggressive.

It seems to me that their structures a conducive to developing players rather than winning in the short term.

Reply #375807 | Report this post

Finals thoughts?

Reply #375812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the u18 div1 boys, forestville won summer, 3rd state champs and if they don't win their next 2 games miss out on winter finals for the second year running! Same state coach also!!!

Reply #375815 | Report this post

Always an Arnott basher?you guys crack me up.

Reply #375827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard another Norwood boy in U14s may be jumping ship and heading out to Lions country. And all these kids left their previous club to be with friends - or so the story went

Reply #375829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the he asked to LOAN a uniform for Nationals. lol wink wink.

See that the Forestville 18 Boys have to play Strt this week as well. And heard that Sturt are looking to play their full strength team.

Reply #375831 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"Their structure looks to be a bit of dribble drive motion and motion screening offence. Their defence is very, very aggressive."

Mmmmm. Aggressive back court press defence, dribble drive motion and pick and rolls. That sounds like another club to me. When the Lions start routinely grabbing from behind to stop the fast breaks you'll know where that missing Playbook went to......

Reply #375832 | Report this post

R  
Years ago

Interesting that Forestville's premiere coach in the pecking order appears to have failed, even on their own measurement of success, which is winter season. Summer result proves the talent was there, but the fact they never got any better & didn't achieve success at state champs or classics suggests their coaching has let them down.

Also interesting to see he's been reappointed to this position. I hope those at Forestville aren't doing the same thing & expecting a different result. We all know what that means...

Reply #375848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope that the same thing doesnt happen at State level.

Forestville's idea of a good coach and what the rest of us expect, seems to be quite different.

State is for coaches who haev some success. Not for those coaches who's teams go backwards.

Reply #375850 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Start any thread titled 'junior' and the pathetic anon Arnott bashers come to the fore.

Want to escape criticism? Do nothing. Say nothing. Be nothing.

But you guys know that don't you?

Reply #375875 | Report this post

deimos38  
Years ago

I agree that the Arnott bashing is unnecessary. I've known him for a number of years and he's a quality guy.

I'm genuinely interested though: What has caused a team that was so strong in summer to fall so far off the pace? Injuries, changes to personnel, something else??

Reply #375876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are an undisciplined rabble! Bunch of kids that might have talent but have very bad attitudes!

Reply #375879 | Report this post

pug  
Years ago

Must be a theme at the club. Their 16 Boys are exactly the same. Very undisciplined.

Reply #375880 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Anyone who has any experience in junior coaching knows that U18s is the hardest of all grades in maintaining consistency of performances over the year.

Most of the experienced players (2nd years) are in yr12 at school and while they may be committed at the start of the summer season, have their future careers in front of then when it comes to mid-winter.

Unless you are coaching a team of deadbeats, the simple fact is that year 12 exams are far more important for most 17 year old kids than a U18 premiership.

Future career>u18 basketball finals. It's as simple as that.

Reply #375881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, interesting take on it. Arnie is a very a good coach and a champion bloke. Eagles are lucky to have him.

However, I think your view of Future Career > U18 Basketball finals is a little bit simple, small minded and not really reality. What if characteristics developed in U18 finals and managing your time so you do well in school = future career. Furthermore what if it equaled opportunity for free or discounted University Degree in another country whilst still playing and improving your basketball??

Reply #375882 | Report this post

pug  
Years ago

Doesn't seem to be an issue at other clubs.

It's called time management.

Reply #375883 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Gee Pug. So much attention on the Eagles who sit 3rd on the ladder. If you are really interested in performance why not talk about teams 4- 9 , i.e. the bulk of the comp?

I wonder why?

Reply #375884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apart from, tiger, sturt, forestville, west and Norwood, the rest of the competition is div 2 standard or lower in the 18's, and the two top teams are as good as U23 div 1 teams, massive gap

Reply #375891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pug you are always sniping from that Sturt office aren't you?

Reply #375895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haven't seen anyone here saying he's a bad bloke or anything like that. But I cant see why a coach at this level would not expect criticism for their performance.

From my understnading, he has finished 8th, 10th, 5th and 9th in his 4 campains. With 3 of those being the 3 worst results in SA Metro history, last 20 years since the 14 team tournament happened anyway. The teams that finished 8th and 10th both did better in U18's and we will see over the next 2 years how these groups do.

Reply #375914 | Report this post

pug  
Years ago

Anon, attention on the eagles because they have enormous talent but lack discipline. Not sure what the bulk of the comp has to do with that. Trying to deflect attention?

Reply #375922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh and Anon.

I would suggest that 6th and below are not performaing well, considering Forestville are equal with West and Norwood they would be performing equally well. But they both have easier games leading into finals and both have the split on Forestville, hence Forestville are really in 5th all things considered and need to beat both Sturt and West to make finals.

Which means they could very well finish 5th, after finishing 3rd at State Champs and winning summer. Not a good trend for a team.

Reply #375926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If people are sniping at Paul there are numerous examples everywhere like that. Sturt U14 boys won summer and could not even qualify for nationals at the state champs notwithstanding the resources behind them including the coach.

Are we saying this defacto state U14 coach is no good as well?

Maybe kids being kids are inconsistent and things happen during the year!!

Reply #375947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If people are sniping at Paul there are numerous examples everywhere like that. Sturt U14 boys won summer and could not even qualify for nationals at the state champs notwithstanding the resources behind them including the coach.

Are we saying this defacto state U14 coach is no good as well?

Maybe kids being kids are inconsistent and things happen during the year!!

Reply #375948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except that they are sitting 2nd in this season and will make finials and therefore have not conmtinued decreasing as the year has progressed. And could finish top.

Every team could have a bad tournament, losing 1 game is make or break. (They did make top 4) Especially in U14 boys where player movement and equal standard of competition is evident.

What is stated is a continued decline, as we are all accountable for our results. Along with the State performances shows a "reputation" and perhaps "opportunity" that dont necessarily match results.

Reply #375974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So...not a bad win tonight for the eagles in under 18s! Must have been the coach!

Reply #376122 | Report this post

triton 48  
Years ago

Ah, #122, they need to beat West next week or they won't make finals. Winner will make it, loser will miss out. West absolutely smashed them last time, so Forestville still look like missing out.
Don't get too excited.

Reply #376123 | Report this post

Hydra  
Years ago

"Many of these kids could easily be playing div1 if they moved clubs."

So they don't mind not playing to their potential then and wasting their talent wallowing in the mud behind others?

Reply #376126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Triton 48 I gather you are from Sturt, who do you play next week??

Reply #376128 | Report this post

oberon  
Years ago

Heard Norwood beat North in 16s last night. Puts them into 4th and tigers will miss out I think.

Reply #376140 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

So South forfeited against West in u18s last night? Surely that's a misprint?

Reply #376156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No south did forfeited .very sad .

Reply #376162 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

So at the end of the winter season we have 8 teams competing in our u18 boys comp.

FFS people. Stop the inter-club sniping and realise that basketball is in crisis in SA.

Reply #376173 | Report this post

Norwood too good for north 16s.north no bench ,and 2 players who continually try to take on the world and not do the team thing.Some players look frustrated out there.If plan a doesn't work,they dont use or seem to have a plan b.

Reply #376221 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

And a quick look at the U18 Div2 shows that it's a 2 club race for the finals - Sturt and Forestville teams finishing 1,2,3,4.

Lack of depth at other Clubs must be a worry.

Reply #376248 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Maybe its just stupid to have more than 1 team from a club in division

Reply #376255 | Report this post

R  
Years ago

Would it be better to have the 3rd & 4th best div 2 teams playing in div 3? How?

Reply #376256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

because those kids would be stupid to stay at that club and play div 3 when they could play div 1 or 2 elsewhere.

playing div 2 gives them hope that one day maybe they can move up (false hope because we all know they have no chance).

Reply #376279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And still is hasnt happened at u12/14 level because people play at a club more for the service they are provided, than for a spot in div 1/2.

Why go to a club where you lose every other week by 30 points, have bad coaching and have to travel for 30 minutes or mkore each way to get to train with people you dont know.

When you can stay where you are, play with your mates, win each week, get good coaching, take 10 minutes to get to trianing. When realistically you aren't going to be an ABA or above player???

Reply #376291 | Report this post

R  
Years ago

So you're saying, the clubs should develop these kids all the way up to U18s, then those kids should leave the club that has developed them & go to another club to play at an appropriate level.

Seems backwards to me.

How about just letting each team play at the appropriate standard? Wouldn't that be better for everyone?

Reply #376296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

R, no it wouldn't.

Reply #376315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If that happened then the under 18 div1 comp would be boring...Sturt v Southern every week!!!!

And before you Eagles supporters get carried away...let's see what the result would be with a full strength team!

Reply #376317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would that be the case?

If you had an 8 team comp in every grade, why would Sturt and Forestville have multiple teams???

And if it was the case, surely all the other clubs would start doing more in their juniors, instead of bringing the 'wo is me' line.

Get some good coaches, stop spending on ABA, employ a full time JDO, and get some work done.

Reply #376319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won't happen anon - it's easier to whine and drag others down to their level.

Reply #376331 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Won't happen
because if a couple of clubs get wind of good coaches or players that aren't at their club they are in their ear and say come join the strength, join us and weaken every other club till we don't have any competition, then we can field 6 or 7 teams in one div and the kids can play week in and week out against their mates who they train with.

Great Business Plan for basketball in S.A.

Reply #376333 | Report this post

Is it time for BSA to bite the bullet and run 8 team Grades with open qualification (i.e any Club can play District)

Summer is used as a qualifier and if a Club is good enough to have two teams make the Top 8 than so be it.

In Winter there are 21 games with all teams playing each other 3 times.

Nationals qualifictaion is based on ladder after first round of Winter season and Club champion is determined at end of Winter season based on all teams and where they have finished.

Reply #376337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

??? - you sound like a typical representative of the lazy clubs that drag down basketball in SA.

That doesn't happen in QldSth or Vic where qualification is open.

But hey, don't worry about working hard to improve your lot, keep sooking about the big bad clubs that put in the resources and work into their junior program rather than ABA...

And it would be good to see clubs like Western Magic have the oppurtunity to play in the correct grade according to thier abilities. If they prove to be better than Woodville (or Westies) in that area, reward them with the spot. Might make clubs more accountable to their members!

Reply #376342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If BSA intend to have two clubs in Adelaide then they should certainly take on your suggestions.

IF BSA wants most of the current members to walk away from the game then they should take on your suggestions.

Some would suggest their current lack of action on anything proves thats exactly what they want.

??? is on the money.

Reply #376343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#342 your lies about working hard or not putting resources into juniors are just that, lies.

Thank you for continuing the old stories from your club which you use to poach members from other clubs.

QldSth and Vic have completely different systems in place. To think you can take one part of their system and put it into place in the mess that is SA basketball and it will work is just naive.

Sad that so many believe the lies and stories.

Reply #376344 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Lies and stories
Ask the kids who play in the u/23 comp
they seem so excited to go out each week and play against 2 or 3 teams from the 1 club or their own club several times
I believe instead of playing in zones they would prefer to travel and have some variety

After all variety is the spice of life

P.S. 344 come to our club you will have a better chance of making state

Fill the kids and their parents with your lies and stories, oh don't worry about little Johnny who was doing well in a high div who has played with your club for years, we almost got beaten the other day so we better poach someone better and drop him down with the rest of the rubbish that we can't find {poach} any decent coaches to look after to be lost in the system of disgruntled people

Reply #376350 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I believe instead of playing in zones they would prefer to travel and have some variety

This!

Reply #376383 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Anon 319 says: 'employ a full time JDO'

Quoted for truth. I'm sick of seeing the same retarded moaning about junior basketball.

I am a big fan of Paul Arnott who works his butt off with f*ck all recognition and a lot of sniping from the sidelines. The interclub bitchin in SA weighs us all down so maybe we need to settle on a new way forward:

- Advertise the JDO job to ensure a competitive process.
- pay the person a decent salary. None of this part time, supplement your income elsewhere bullshit. We want focus and a recognition that this job is about the future of basketball in SA!
- set a performance based contract over 3-5 years to ensure a long term vision/focus
- insist they cut ties with their existing club so they are working to one master - basketball in SA.
- set some realistic short and long term performance targets around the participation and performance of juniors in SA that are agreed by all Clubs and publish those targets/goals on the BSA website so we are all know what we're working towards.

I know, it's Business Planning 1.01 but maybe we need to get back to basics?

Reply #376390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ Ummm confused much???

Reply #376392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon you assume people want full time deadend jobs in basketball.

Name some high quality people who would leave their jobs to be a full time JCD.

People whom have full time jobs in basketball do it because they can't get decent jobs in the real world.

Reply #376393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon,

Paul Arnott does not hold a JDO position. He is a competitions manager at BSA. He does not get to do what ever he wants with the comeptition. That is controlled by the CEO and commission.

A JDO is what some clubs, (Norwood, Forestville and Sturt) have. Over the last 10 years, these clubs have put resources into recruiting and developing juniors.

Clubs who do not put resources into this position are the ones who lose players. Then come on here and bemoan it, rather than looking at the reality of the situation and doing something about it. People move because they are unhappy, because they want to be given a good service and will move to those clubs that have a good service which inclides a full time JDO.

Some clubs do not want to do this, but want to whinge and moan abot their kids leaving and moving to those clubs that do the work. That is the reality of all markets.

No one is advocating a 3 team compeittion where all other clubs die. But rather a competition where all clubs are competitive. But without a full time JDO, a club will not be able to compete.

And not unlike in a welfare state, without competition or need for action, there is not reason to move resources into area's of need. Like a JDO for a club.

Should BSA help with funding to start these positions Yes!!! Because if more clubs had JDO's, it would means more kids playing basketball and less kids moving. And therefore the would make more money.

Should those clubs unwilling to even consider JDO's be given guarenteed div 1 spots? NO!!! Because then there is no incentive for them to transition to have a full time JDO and BSA cant help.

A JDO at all clubs means we should be able to moev towards domestic comeptitinos at all clubs like VIC and QLDS. And if you and your club are not interested in that then you will get swept under the rug as a meaningless and irrelevent club.

Choice is to get on the train and work to become stronger. Which will stop coaches and players from leaving. Or maon and whinge and fall into obscurity.

Your Choice ??? and anon 376344.

Reply #376422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Paul. More lies.

Reply #376425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which Paul are you refering to?

Reply #376438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are you always so bitter Meschke?

Reply #376465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice try, close but no cigar.

Which part are lies???

That Paul Arnott is a Competitions manager not a JDO?

That all clubs should have a JDO and move towards domestic competition?

That market forces are not in play when parents decide to move clubs?

Reply #376468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's Meseche, Who else gets paid to be on the computer all day?

Reply #376469 | Report this post

Europa 44  
Years ago

Obviouly you do!

Reply #376482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This forum needs to move to a new forum script, Kill of the ability to post without being somewhat registered and forced to stick with one username. Lot of hot air and fantasy farts on here

Reply #376517 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:54 am, Sat 11 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754