Halfway House
Years ago

ABL after round 1

We are now halfway thru the ABL season. What are everyones thoughts? Have the preseason predictions changed? Here are my thoughts on the guys. I don't know enough about the womens comp so I wont comment except to say that the top four teams all look like they could beat each other on any given night.
Anyway here are the guys:

Sturt - still favourites and going nicely
Forestville - Newley has now settled in. The Eags are definitely Sturt's biggest threat. Will Newley be around for playoffs tho?
Woodville - Have surprised everyone and are a definite chance of going all the way now Rees and the import are on board.
Eastern - Excellent early season form. A double slip up at home on the weekend could be costly. They will need to improve to prevent anty further slide down the ladder.
West and South - Bost these teams have been a bit better than most thought. But they need to play at their very best to contend with the top two or three sides. Can they do that for another round?
Centrals - Looked good early but have struggled lately. Lost a couple when they had one of their big three recruits out. If they have their best team on the court each week they are still a chance to make the playoffs.
North - Some disappointing results early but I feel that the Rockets are ready to take off. They have the horses to go with the best teams and if they keep improving their chemistry they will sneak into the playoffs and be a major threat.
Norwood - Everyone is surprised to see the Flames on only 2 wins but they also have the horses. They seem to be slowly adjusting to Sapwells style and will win a lot more games this tme round - but will just miss out on the finals.
Southern - Again disappointing but without Pochy, Clarke and Jingles they were always going to find it tough. Expect them to pull out an upset or two in the second round tho.

Topic #2930 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice round up. The warriors for me.

Reply #33266 | Report this post

Halfway House  
Years ago

Well almost halfway - sorry forgot about tonights game

Reply #33267 | Report this post

Pundit  
Years ago

My guesses:

TOp 5 in no particular order:

Forestville
Sturt
Woodville
North
West

Bottom 5:

Eastern
South
Centrals
Norwood
Southern

Reply #33268 | Report this post

Lippy  
Years ago

Are all the NBL players going to be around for all of the ABL season, including the finals?

Reply #33271 | Report this post

Timberwolf  
Years ago

As West and Eastern are 4th and 5th after the half way mark and are both on 5 wins, you would have to assume, like last year that to make the play offs, teams are going to need 10 wins, and the split against any team they happen to tie with(like Southern did over Forestville last year), going by this, for South(4 wins) to have a chance of making the finals they will have to go 6-3 for their last 9 games....unlikely! Norht and Centrals(both i believe are on 3 wins) will need to go 7-2 in their last 9 games, again unlikely, but certainly both these two teams have the talent to pull off that kind of record. Unless the Tigers win tonight, they are out, as Norwood are too already out of finals contention. Look out however for these two teams cos they will be playing for pride and will be out to spoil as many teams hopes as they can.

I would say that Sturt, Forestville and Woodville are already pencilled in to play finals action this year, interesting to see what order they will finish. And unless Eastern and West have horror secong rounds (3-6 or 2-7) which isn't totally out of the question, I would expect them to round out the final five, with North, Centrals and South just missing out.

I wouldn't however be surprised if we end up with 3 or 4 or 5 teams all on 9 wins at the end of the season and it will come down to splits between them (or possibly percentage if the tie is between more than 2 teams, not sure on that one) to see who will get the last couple of positions. South do have the advantage of already have beaten Eastern and West so wouldn't write them off yet.

Should be a great few last rounds when we get to it!

Reply #33275 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

halfway house - sounds more like halfway fence.

Good write up - if you were a politician.

Make a prediction on who's form is going to run out, who should but wont make finals, and who just plain stink.

Here is my tip for the mens ladder at the end of the season

Sturt - Looking the goods
Forestville - Join Sturt, ahead of the pack
Woodville - Matt Elder, great addition
Eastern - Solid team
North - Will find late team form
West - Hot and Cold (possible dark horse with Blake back)
South - Sorry Panther, just wont fire
Centrals - Too reliant on 3 star players
Norwood - Late run, poor start to season costly
Southern - They really need to change how they play to get a W. too much individual offence, no movement off the ball. NBA-esque style, without the mad hops and deadly shots.

Reply #33280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"mad hops and deadly shots."

Has a nice ring to it :)

Reply #33282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dr dunkenstein, you are clearly a southern follower....as you wrote 3 lines about them, and 1 about all the other teams.....tell me in more detail, why are the tigers sitting bottom after making the finals last year???...i am one disheartened fan.

Reply #33288 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Clearly? Look at his posting history and try again...

Reply #33289 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Sturt - Look to strong
Eagles- seems to be a two horse race
Woodville- Talls seems to be good plus solid team play
Mavs- Surpriseing some teams and can make some noise this season
Centrals- struggleing now but i think they still have a chance but i could be wrong

south-Playing good team ball will just miss
north- Big troubles at north ..will play better late but just miss
west no nash no west

Southern - missing last years players and no one is stepping up
Norwood - just simply cant shoot the ball

Reply #33295 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

no nash no west? How about Truslove then? beat mavs on the weekend.

Reply #33300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West beat woodville and North without Nash or Truslove and beat Eastern without Nash. Consistency appears to be more of a problem than missing any one player.

Reply #33302 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

maybe im wrong about west ...
They still wont make the playoffs tho

Reply #33305 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Watching the game vs Eastern, I'd have to disagree. I think they will sneak into the playoffs, and no one will want to play them.

They will have to play a blinder to beat anyone above them though. They have beaten Woodville, but they are a different team now. Forrestville and Sturt are a cut above the pack. Everybody else they have/can beat

Reply #33308 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

correct me if im wrong, but i believe Newley will leave by the end of the month? this will effect the Eagles chances..

Reply #33309 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

anon - i am not a southern supporter, but have seen them play twice this season, both times they dissapointed me. They have some good players, but aren't playing a team game (at the moment).

Lloyd - If newley is to miss the end of the season, will other NBL players (i am thinking Watson, Vanderberg, Truslove, Forman, Gower)also miss finals???

Reply #33333 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

i think its due to the Emu's isnt it??

Reply #33336 | Report this post

Stella Artois  
Years ago

Doc

Newley is missing due to junior and senior Australian duties. I would assume like Jacob last year NBL commitments will not be a problem for the others.

Lloyd, the Eagles will need to collectively lift to cover Brad's absence. What some people have forgotten is that Dix and Farman are both coming back from knee recons. Having Brad in the team has allowed them to progress gradually without the pressure to score 45-50 between them.

While it might take a game or two get back into sync after Brad leaves the Eagles have the talent to challenge for the title.

Like a lot of people i think Norwood and Southern are out of the finals race (although they'll ruin someone's hopes on the way). I am confident North will sneak into the finals and make 1 or 2 teams pretty uncomfortable.

Woodville's huge weekend has demonstrated they have turned a possible disaster into chmapionship contenders.

West or Eastern will fill the final spot.

South are still a chance but will need to be a lot better than the team who got beat by Woodville and Forestville.

Centrals reliance on too few will see them fall 2 or 3 games short.

Finally Sturt probably are favourites, but their depth is a concern. If Oscar goes down then they would be in huge trouble.

Bring on the second round

Reply #33340 | Report this post

cagey  
Years ago

Stella,
I think Sturt are as deep as anyone. If Newley or Dix went down Forestville would be hurt just as bad, same for Wilson or Puddifoot for Woodville, Davis for Eastern etc etc. Not many teams can cover the loss of a key player. Strangely enough, three of the deepest teams seem to be Southern, Norwood, and North but they are struggling. Perhaps the coaches are finding it hard to get the rotations right with so much talent.

Reply #33468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern, Norwood, and North just dont have the calibre of top players to compete with the clubs above them. They are deep but no real stars.

Reply #33469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the Womens

A good race by the top 4 teams.

1/ North

With only 1 hiccup, the reigning premiers are looking good. Although this year the will have a few more challengers.

2/ South

Probably the form team of the moment. Are playing to their strengths and Kelsen and co have beaten the other top teams.

3/ Sturt

Playing well together and have a very imposing front line. A lack of depth may hinder then if injuries occur.

4/ Forestville

Have had some minor hiccups with a couple of losses. Have the most talent and Coach Kinsman will have them ready for the finals. Watch out in the second round.

5/ West

Should take the last spot in the finals. have pushed the top teams without coming away with the victor. Look out next round for them to take some scalps.

6/ Norwood

A bit up and down. Might sneak in to the last spot. Can beat some teams but are not putting it together on a regular basis. Need sombody to step up in the point to take control of the team.

7/ Eastern

Still a bit young. Might shape the finals with a win. And probably will beat the lower teams but will probably fight it out in the lower group.

8/ Southern

Some young talent, but not overly athletic and no real go to player. Like Eastern and Woodville are fighting in the lower pack. WIll need some more fire power to move up.

9/ Woodville

Might be able to move above Southern or Eastern. Well coached but that can only take you so far.

10/ Centrals

On the up but have a long way to go.

Reply #33494 | Report this post

Ogre  
Years ago

Cagey how are Southern deep? They have blamed their whole season up until now on injuries, yet they are suppose to have one of the deepest lists?

Reply #33549 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:48 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754