natwhereyouat
Years ago

Replacing Robbins; Perth keen on Massingale point reduction?

Rhys Carter
Daniel Dillon
CJ Massingale
Luke Cooper

Who you got?

Wildcats enquiring about reducing Massingale's player point rating.

Carter & Dillon both currently signed overseas, although Dillon isn't happy and wants to come back home.

Cooper is currently a free agent and is ready to go.

Herbert and McDonald have not been contacted.

Topic #30206 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dillon would certainly fit the uptemo pressing wildcats style

Reply #391825 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Cooper would fit as they would want a NBL experienced back up heading into what will hopefully be a deep finals run......Can't see either Carter or Dillon leaving Europe

Reply #391826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need a player that can run the point and can hit the open shot consistantly! Gona miss him, just they way he waz tuf!!

Reply #391839 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Bullshit if they reduce Massingales point rating for Perth.

Reply #391842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would be good for CJ, but yea probably shouldnt help Perth who are a top team, id make them sign someone who fits their points.

But from CJ's point of view i wouldnt mind him getting reduced so he can get another go, how is a import who has been cut and averaged aroun 4pts rated a 10? Surely they could make a rule that if a player has played SEABL/ABA before there NBL stint they come in at a reduced rating (too late for CJ i know) to encourage more of this, and maybe a rule that if a import is cut they go down to an 8 for any other team, the team that cut them cannot re-sign them at a reduced rating. Not trying to help Perth or any club, just would love to see a player like CJ (or anyone in his situation in the future) given another go somewhere. But these rules should probably be introduced at the end of the season, so all clubs are aware and can utilise them.

So, sorry CJ, I dont think at this time, you should be able to get your points reduced to sign with Perth.

The point of the points cap is parity, so Perth should have to make adjustments to their roster to fit CJ in or sign a cheaper player like Cooper.

Reply #391845 | Report this post

BobbyO  
Years ago

I thought I read on another topic that massingale was going for in Aust Citizenship this week?
If true and he gets it (I dont know how long it takes) but his points would drop!

Reply #391846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would love to see Carter back in, always wished we had kept him, thought he was on good money in Sweden though, so may be hard to get back.

Reply #391847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joel Wagner another possibility.

Reply #391850 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

An exchange from Carter on this topic:

@BenFitz

Who do @PerthWildcats replace Robbins with? 7 points to play with. Fringe NBL guards where are you?
@rcarter15
@BenFitz 1 is here. ;-)
@rcarter15 and you are not fringe btw, Mr Sweden MVP candidate
@BenFitz haha. Interesting situation they are in tho.. I wonder what they will do.

Reply #391854 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

If Massingale can't be re-rated down so Perth can sign him, thats fine, as long as the same ruling would apply to any other team wanting to make a mid-season change, regardless of their ladder position.

Reply #391855 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Rule will also need to be changed so Perth can run 3 imports

Reply #391861 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Oh yeah, I didn't even think of that! Ok, it wont be CJ then, unless they are willing to wait until Knight returns.

Reply #391862 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

I thought if you married an australian you were automatically an australian citizen (lisch)???
i must be wrong

Reply #391864 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Knight is expected to return for the December 30 game, Wildcats wont sign anyone this week and then due to the All star game they effectively have until the end of the year to settle on a replacement.

Also heard Massingale is in the process of citizenship anyway?

Reply #391865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If CJ went to Perth they would become my new second fav team!! Something I would have never had said earlier!!
Also anytime Perth played the 36ers I would CJ to light them up!!

Reply #391866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro I usually consider your pov well thought out but i have to strongly dissagree with you and other posters re cj and perth. Cj is NOT a 10 point player by quality so how would it be unfair to allow Perth to sign him. Bear in mind they would only need to cut pusrer now to free up the 10 points( dunnigan can't stay) do you think lemanis (and other teams) would rather Perth to pick up a Cedric, Flynn, Ervin, etc level player to back up lisch and Martin?! I would think the support for Perth to sign a 5 point player(relative) would be overwhelming!

Reply #391870 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

The fact that another club is interested in CJ is further proof that Clarke doesn't know what he is on about. I hope CJ gets signed by Perth and is given the opportunity he deserves.

Reply #391872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spinner there is no interest in CJ, he is a 10 point player that could no get it done with the 36ers.
Nathan Herbet??

Reply #391874 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

As the rules stand, a player can only be re-rated at the end of a season. I would find it incredibly suspicious if an import player, (and everyone in the league knows, quality aside, a restricted player is an automatic 10pt player in this league) is re-rated down two points mid-season just so a team, ANY team, no matter if they're coming first or last, can fit them in, especially, due to other teams folding, there are other players available.

If he gains Australian citizenship, those rules then don't apply to him, so if he's re-rated based on his new status while currently unsigned, then fine...

Changing the rules mid-season shouldn't happen... Hopefully this forces the NBL to review procedures and they can let teams know that changes are afoot so that they can recruit based on these new/amended rules, not wait the whole off-season and then the new rules come in when all the teams have been filled...

Reply #391875 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Dont get sucked into more Boti propaganda. Bevo is one of the few that will speak to him. More than one player on Bevo's supposed radar hasnt even been spoken to. If the Cats knew Saturday night that they needed someone straight away dont you think that is a bit weird that come Tuesday the supposed targets havent even had a phone call or email. Dont you think it is a bit weird that the almighty Bevo is talking about signing an import when they already have two. This is an organisation that had Dunnigan signed and on court within 10 days of an injury. See through the BS that Boti is tossing up right now.

Reply #391880 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

3. Restricted Players

All first year restricted players (as defined in the NBL Rules) shall be assigned a PPR of 10 for the duration of their initial NBL Contract. For subsequent contracts these players' PPR will be determined using the PPR principles applied to all other contracted NBL players as outlined in this document.

Currently, Massingale is rated as a zero, which means he now has the right to be rated properly, and not as a restricted player. I can't see anything in the rules that specifically says "re-ratings can only occur at the end of a season." It seems it is on a contract by contract basis. Its quite plausible, and within the rules that CJ will be rated as an 8.

Reply #391883 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

With the exact wording there being "initial" then all should be above board then... nice find..

Will be interesting to see how it all pans out now...

Reply #391887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can he not be a restricted player if he's not an Australian citizen???

Reply #391888 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

He is a restricted player. He has also come off his initial contract, therefore the automatic 10 points no longer applies.

Reply #391889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Robbins, 27, told Beveridge on Saturday his body could no longer undergo the rigours of NBL basketball

And he is looking at CJ

Reply #391891 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

as long as everything is done to the rules that existed at the start of the season then all is fine. when rules start getting bent/changed or even not applied that is when it starts to look like a circus. There is one set of rules and they should apply to everyone.

Reply #391895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think ppl are gettin a bit worried here? Perth sign cj then they are gona be very hard to beat! I prefer knight any way, c how it turns out, i trust that bevo and the club will get the person for the job!

Reply #391903 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Luke Cooper???

I would rather the Cats played a Dev player than Cooper.

Luke Cooper is like Zac Delaney, sans the Wollongong Cult Status.

Don't see how CJ could be signed without some change in the Cats team or the rules.

Daniel Dillon would be the most ideal.

Reply #391904 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

No rules need to be changed, Marcus.

Reply #391907 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Oh...in that case, good luck to the Cats in whoever they wanna get.

Reply #391911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

forget massingale. keep purser and get rid of tovey then you have,
martin,lisch,redhage, knight, dunigan
purser, bartlett,hire, wagstaff, trueman a team that is hard to beat yet still under 70pts. not likely to happen but a fan can dream.

Reply #391929 | Report this post

Daveo  
Years ago

What are the chances of the Cats contacting the Taipans to try lure Shaun Bruce over for the rest of the year? Kinda like how Perth released Trahair so he could go play for Hawks a few years back? Bruce would excel in this Wildcats team

Reply #391932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They could do worse than look at Shane McDonald.

Reply #391933 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Can we get Dunigan when he leaves Perth..guy is a gun and a Highlight real lol

Reply #391934 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cairns could get him in for Edwards.

Reply #391939 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

You would have to think that Bevo will go for a guard that can play some D, so my guess is he will try and get Dillon. Rhys would have been perfect but he's not going anywhere.

Reply #391987 | Report this post

go wildcats  
Years ago

Of the players mentioned i think Daniel Dillon is the one i most remember. CJ has a good game against the wildcats but i remember Dillon's speed and strength. I also remember he played some defense... my vote is for dillon if they can get him. Plus i think he has quite a bit of upside in this league.

Reply #392146 | Report this post

Gruff  
Years ago

CJ was naturalized today. So the import rules no longer apply as he is not currently under NBL contract.

Reply #392156 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

CJ was naturalized today. So the import rules no longer apply as he is not currently under NBL contract.

Permanent residency, not citizenship apparently...

Reply #392187 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:03 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754