Anonymous
Years ago

DJ to Europe next year?

Did brett maher say something about Daniel Johnson going to europe next season?

Topic #33357 | Report this topic

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

That was a pretty out-of-the-blue statement. I personally don't think it has much backing. Although it's definitely not out of the question

Reply #449909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No idea how true it is, but he is 7 foot with speed and scoring ability so not totally out of the question that he could get a decent Euro gig.

I also dont think it would be the worlds biggest disaster, at worse we start Schenscher and spend more on our 2nd import and go for an Ennis type and get the best big available to take Johnsons spot. Its the advantage of us being genuinely 9 deep this year.

I hope DJ finishes the season strong, 6ers win the title (or atleast give it a good shake), and if he decides to give Europe a crack he would go with most fans support i reckon.

Reply #449917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maher did say DJ will probably be playing in Europe next season which is a bit concerning knowing this team is a 'one and done' team.

Pretty sure DJ still has a year to go on his contract with us after this season but yeah probably has a Euro out-clause in it anyway and plus Maher wouldn't be saying something like that on national TV if he didn't have pretty good intel.

Reply #449922 | Report this post

commonsense  
Years ago

wouldn't blame him if he did at 25 he is heading into his prime why wouldn't he want to capatilise on his earnings potential

Reply #449927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not necessarily a 'one and done' team if Johnson goes,

It would free up a fair bit of cap space.

You could chase a star Ennis like Import with that + what ever Frye is on

Then start Schensch, still capable imo, and bring in the best back up big around, any young guys coming through college, AIS, SEABL/NZ/State league? could even go a 3 big rotation of Schenscher, Petrie, Anthony and use the spot on the best forward available, someone like Leon Henry could also play a bit of a hustle/Vukona role

I think a line up of say

C Schenscher/BJ Anthony
PF Petrie/Leon Henry (or a big pf/c)
SF Ennis type import/Creek
SG Gibson/Teys
PG Ervin/Cadee

Would still be a very good line up.

Could even go a cheaper import again, or keep Frye and grab a Neville or the best Aussie in any position to replace Johnson.

Lots of options, not all doom and gloom if Johnson goes to Europe.

Could hardly blame him for giving it a crack imo, aslong as he plays hard the rest of the season, i wouldnt have a problem with him trying to give Europe a crack next season, it could be a great opportunity for him.

Reply #449928 | Report this post

commonsense  
Years ago

quite simply if you swapped Frye for Ennis then Adelaide would be championship favourites

Reply #449929 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Don't you have to play defense to play in Europe?
I mean DJ is good at one end of the court and woeful at the other end. He could be so much better if he just..tried to defend, just a little..just do something!!

Reply #449932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Old news, will simply mean more money to spend elsewhere.

Reply #449933 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Good luck to him, he has sure come a long way and it would be great to hear that he succeeds.

Any chance of getting Anatoly Bose back in the NBL next season perhaps at the bullets?

Reply #449937 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Last season DJ was nothing but a black hole and I could not stand watching him when he got the ball. Was just another small piece to the puzzle as to why the 36ers didnt win any games last season. Can't win games when the centre jacks up ridiculously ugly turn arounds from 15feet.
He would be stupid not to go if an opportunity arose. Sixers fans shouldn't be too worried

Reply #449938 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He has improved at the defensive end and looks a little stronger, but he still has a long way to go to excel in a halfcourt style. I personally think he could do with another year under Joey to get his defensive work rate up again and get much stronger in the gym. Good luck to him whatever he decides though.

Reply #449939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was always the Plan Under Marty!!

Reply #449941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Europe for the off season....that's all.

Reply #449942 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

A guy who is 7ft and can hit the 3 consistently is a valuable commodity in Europe especially for a teams that base there structures around the Horns/high onball set up (Which is half the teams).

DJ's D is improving and at only 25 years old will hopefully continue to improve so you would expect the logical next step for him is to test himself against guys in Europe as if his development continues together with body fully maturing he has the offensive skill set to be a high level player in Europe.

Reply #449944 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

He could certainly play in Europe, the question is which league would best suit him.

Reply #449945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Europe and Australia run at the same time

Reply #449947 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Whom ever pays the most is normally which league suits the best

Reply #449958 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Lets be honest "Europe" is a pretty broad statement which could mean one of dozens of leagues. Jesse Sanders came from "Europe" is he a better player then Johnson? Kickert plays in Europe. There is a big discrepency from Euroleague/Eurocup/Spanish league right down to playing in somewhere like Cyprus or something.. or many other leagues that aren't on NBL level.

Could he play in Europe? Obviously, Absolutely. Could he play in Euroleague, Eurocup or Spain?,. Right now I don't think so.

Reply #449969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What do guys like Rush make in Sweden? more than DJ in the NBL?

Reply #449983 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Can't stand it when people say 'we should get an Ennis type'

He's arguably the best player in the league and Perth are quite lucky to have him, not to mention if it was any team other than the Heat he was signed to he would probably be gone by now. Our team is already fairly stacked as it is, I'm sure there's a few teams that would like an 'Ennis-type' on their roster, that doesn't mean it's going to happen..

Sorry for de-railing, just think people need to get realistic.

Reply #449985 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont think Rush would be on as much as Johnson. My guess would be around $100K based on what Ive heard/read from that type of league, but it's just a guess.

Reply #449990 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Europe has a number of leagues but I don't thik he’d be leaving to play in Cyprus or the dutch league!

He is on good coin at the moment and will get offered good money to stay in Australia so he’ll be leaving to only 4 or 5 of the European leagues who can compete in terms of $$$

i.e Spain, Italy, Turkey etc

Reply #450010 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"start Schensch, still capable"

Hahahahahaha

Reply #450011 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Sorry for the lack of content in my post, but after watching him vs Cairns the last 2 weeks, he is really no where near capable of starting. He just can't finish from 2 feet!

Reply #450012 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

^referring to Schensch, not DJ

Reply #450013 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

^ agree with the above comment. Losing DJ would be a big blow for the Sixers championship chances over the next few seasons. Schenscher is a nice backup, but a mediocre starter and he is nearly 31.

Finding a high quality big man who will play in the NBL is not an easy task. The Sixers would have to pry loose a guy like Ogilvy or Knight if they want to be a contender over multiple years.

If I had to, I'd be offering DJ top three NBL money to try to keep him here as big men with his skills don't come around often in the NBL and are the kind of player you build a perennial contender around.

Reply #450026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will be hard to keep him the way sixers fans have bagged him out in recent years. I wish I new how to bring up previous post to validate my point!

Reply #450040 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Beanstown... top 3 money for DJ? .. Hmmm. I would be looking for a quality import if DJ is on his way out. DJ is good, but not good enough to warrant more money then he is already on. Why not try for David Anderson? failing that Maric? Jawai? (worth a try) then any nuymber of NBA near misses?

Reply #450047 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He is so well suited in Joey Wright's system, and their arent too many similar ones that Ive seen in Europe, so I think he should stay here and keep progressing towards being an all-around star in the NBL.

He could play another three years here and then head to Europe and play four years through his prime as a much better player. As it is he is an incomplete player and risks bombing out over their because of his lack of strength.

Reply #450050 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

If DJ does go to Europe at some point, then seriously.....good luck to him. He's never going to make big money playing in the NBL so why shouldn't he make as much money as he can before he eventually retires? Hell, he could make more money playing AFL than he would NBL, but that's highly unlikely.

He's a 7 footer who can shoot both inside and outside and that's a valuable asset in this day and age (I'm old enough to remember when next to no player who was 6'9" or above even thought about shooting a 3, unless they were a Magic Johnson or Larry Bird type). Sure his D still needs work, but even this season under Joey Wright he has shown a lot of improvement in that part of his game. He may not be the best defender and probably never will be, but he is improving and the sulking when things aren't going his way has almost gone under Joey.

Unlike some others around the place, I do think that DJ has the tools to go on and be the dominant big man in the NBL, the Chris Anstey of his generation (I've always said that other than his aggression he plays a lot like Anstey did). The question is does he stay in Australia or does he go overseas?

Here is a thought. With Brett Maher saying DJ will end up in Europe, that says to me that there have already been people looking into him and that there are those over there who obviously see a lot more in his game than some on here do.

Reply #450071 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No question he goes to Europe, just a matter of when. Khazzouh went over with similar weaknesses to DJ and struggled in that style.

I think DJ is best going over as a polished product, that will maximise his value to make really good money over a number of years.

I havent seen to many fast and slippery big men over there, it's a slower game so you need strength in the halfcourt. DJ really struggled against the Chinese bigs, and his shooting percentages against guys like Pledger and Nevill have been poor too.

I think once he is 'man strong' he could have a big impact in good comps in Europe, especially given the improvement he's shown this year, but I personally dont think he's ready yet.

Reply #450090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I definatly see the value in him playing another year or 2 of nbl at a high level, even have a crack at being mvp or all nbl 1st team before heading over. A bit like Matty Nielsen did. If DJ can get to that sort of level in the next year or 2, a decent Euro spot/NBA trials wouldnt be out of the question.

His Euro career will work out alot better, as you see with imports here, if you dont do well in your 1st or 2nd opportunity you dont really get another look, especially in bigger comps, so the worse thing would be to go too early struggle, and never get another look in.

Best to polish his game more, especially rebounding and defense and be able to get decent gigs and hold them for a longer period of time and probably make more money aswell.

Reply #450095 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Why do so many ppl try and claim Dj has an outside game. He does not. He just gets away with jacking up shots he shouldn't.

Dj was 13 from 56 @ 23% from behind the arc last season...

Everyone thinks they are dirk these days. In saying that, Chris Anstey was worse. As a tigers fan I cringed everytime that tool would hit 1/10 from 3 and celebrate

Reply #450123 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

DJ has a really nice shot out to about 20-feet, that's where that comes from. Anstey was good from long range for a big guy in his first three seasons with the Tigers but his last couple it dropped away and so did his overall effectiveness.

Reply #450125 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Sammy: The year before that he was 17-45 @ 38% is that alright for you?

Last year there is no doubt he had a bad year shooting the 3.

The below guys are getting similar stats this year to DJ last year. Do they have no outside game as well?

Cameron Gliddon @ 25%
Peter Crawford @ 25%
CJ Bruton @ 24%
Stephen Weigh @ 23%

This year DJ is 4-13 @ 30% and is being more selective with shooting the 3.

Anyway the point at the end of the day is DJ is a good shooter for a big guy. Have you been watching his games this year? He is becoming automatic from the outside with no one on him. Even with people on him he is consistent. 54% from the field this year. Credit where credit is due!

Reply #450126 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Plus, I don't know how other people interpret it, but to me the word "outside" or "perimeter" game isn't limited to simply being a good 3 point shooter.

To me, that phrase also refers to having the ability to operate from the perimeter.

So that it refers to the ability to penetrate and drive from the 3 point line or just inside it.

DJ is good at doing that.

Reply #450128 | Report this post

Past player  
Years ago

A lot of players can go to Europe whether they get paid or not depends on how they play, just ask MW.

Reply #450158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he can't play NBL let alone be tough enough for Europe.

Reply #450162 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

6th in Scoring
8th in Rebounding

Yes DJ 'can't play NBL'.

Reply #450164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yep shows you how bad the nbl is

Reply #450167 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

If the NBL is that bad Anon #450167, why do you bother watching it or posting on a forum like Hoops?

So-called 'fans' like you the sports world can do without.

Reply #450171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am a fan of basketball and I am enjoying the resurgence of the NBL. It's a shame that there are no real stars in the game any more. Let's hope that changes sooner rather than later.
Maybe you better change your nick to something other than Holden eh

Reply #450178 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Don't feed the anonymous troll

Reply #450179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks DJ.

Reply #450181 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

The great thing about 6er's supporters is you stick the old boot in to DJ for a few years while he was young and improving his game under a poor coaching structure and now with it mentioned he might head to Europe try and break thru you try and psuh negative comments about his game to talk him down in the hope he will stay.

If anything we should be pushing all of the NBL's better Aussie players to play at the highest level to continue to develop our sport.

If a guy can play in NBA, Euroleague, ACB etc we should encourage it as it is only going to be a good thing for the Boomers.

Reply #450182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@tigerwatcher How do u kno everyone posting on here is a 36er supporter?

Reply #450184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoops Forum regulars hate DJ!!

Reply #450185 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I for one have enjoyed seeing DJ's game progress over the years, similar to Nevill stepping it up once he left Melbourne. I like seeing players develop in the NBL instead of hitting their peak at 20 and then just being a good player who had great potential. Especially the big guys.

Reply #450216 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:44 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754