egalitarian
Years ago

Kneecapping Netball

Kneecapping Netball.

Basketball Australia and BASA should be more proactive in getting girls involved in basketball and save them from that terrible sport netball. The benefits are obvious:

Thousands more girls involved with basketball will see more competition and higher standards.

More resources for basketball as a whole and more stadiums being built to accommodate extra demand.

Basketball clubs would become a social hub and more attractive for blokes to stay involved with the sport.

More interest in basketball would see more bums on seats for 36ers and Fellas games.

Netball is a hybrid of basketball and was developed because the English thought that it was unlady like for girls to run too far, hence the different playing zones. It has the disadvantage of being mainly played on asphalt courts without protection from the elements. The game seems to be more about the referees blowing the whistle and imposing themselves on the game rather than letting play flow. Netballers are more likely to suffer from sprained ankles and jarred joints due to stop start movements. The highest competition is the Commonwealth Games, whereas basketball is played at Olympics and worldwide. Surely we could get into the schools and deliver the message of how superior basketball is. This should be a strategy for the growth of the sport in Australia.

Topic #4066 | Report this topic

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

I like the idea but its going to take alot to get the girls out of the steriotypical thoughts that basketball is the male version of netball. I dont agree with it, but its how its often portrayed.

Reply #47321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why not encourage both hundreds of girls do both

Reply #47328 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Paul Bell wouldn't know what to do!

Reply #47329 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

Dr BS - if you start with kids young enough (primary school) then they don't have the pre-conceived misconceptions.

Putting a ball in their hand is a start, then offering opportunities in schools for them to play ie. inter-school competitions (sapsassa type, but more often).

The interest generated out of Bogut is going to be a great spark of interest, we just have to capitalise on it.

Reply #47332 | Report this post

Neo  
Years ago

I think the issue is the perception of a child's parents. Most adults would see netball as the female equivalent of Football. I doubt they think if I had a son I'd love him to play basketball, if I have a girl netball. It's more likely football/netball.

I do agree with Dunk though, the sooner we get a basketball in a childs hands and spark an interest the more chance of getting that child in the game. Problem is that with the massive boom we had in the early nineties, football had to combat that, and has spent big dollars on primary school programs. Basketball has started but the structure and money just isn't there to compete with football and to a lesser extent netball.

Reply #47357 | Report this post

egalitarian  
Years ago

Does anyone know what the situation is like in the USA where netball is unheard of. Is basketball the top female sport and does it get good coverage in the papers?

Reply #47491 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:23 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754