Reply #636294 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

I don't know much about him but found this:

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/perry-ellis

Reply #636295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know much about him? lol? He played/started for Kansas for four years.

Reply #636296 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sounds like one of those undersized PFs who hustle for boards and points.

Reply #636297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings have had success with undersized PFs in the past.

Good option in a fast NBL league.

Reply #636298 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeah, as Isaac said, he just seems like a workhorse sort of player that gets teh job done... Brings that inside game and what looks to be a hunger to get the boards, something that the Kings especially have been lacking...

Still have to get through Summer League, but I would hope that he's signed with only an NBA out clause as it would suck to be beaten out by an OS team once other player recruitment plans have been put into place...

Reply #636304 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I can understand he is perhaps a tweener and the limitations in his game; but still quite bemused that someone who put up 16.9 points and 5.9 rebounds per game on 53.3 percent from the field and 44.4 percent behind the arc in their senior year at such a massive program hasn't got more of a look in (but then again maybe he has had a decent look in..not sure)

Also maybe he wanted security of income rather than keep fighting for an non-guaranteed NBA deal which may never come?

Reply #636308 | Report this post

NBA Comparison: Ryan Who?

Reply #636310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MACDUB same I'm bemused -- maybe he didn't want to go overseas/wanted to try one season in D-League in hopes of getting a ten-day NBA contract.

Reply #636318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Referencing no look-in from overseas clubs is what I meant. He stuck around NBADL as you would think his name could attract at least a ten-day.

... so now he's finally looked overseas to make $.

Reply #636320 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

At first, I thought this was the Kings loading up on small forwards again, until I finally found he plays as a 4. The comment about him being "versatile" would refer to his baility to shoot the 3-ball, which is good, but if he's there to grab rebounds and he has a rebounding average of 5.9..... is that what they're looking for in an import 4? 5.9? That's not a lot. It would have ranked him 11th last year in the NBL, 0.53 rpg less than Greg Whittington (the only Kings player to average more rpg last season) who was 8th.

Reply #636322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your comparing NCAA rebounding average to the NBL.. not a close comparison. 24 second shot clock here and he would probably play more mins here.

Reply #636324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your comparing NCAA rebounding average to the NBL.. not a close comparison. 24 second shot clock here and he would probably play more mins here.

Reply #636325 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

^Anon, that's as may be, but those numbers tend to drop, rather than rise, when NCAA players come to Australia, from my memory (quite prepared to be proven wrong, but I'd like to see some stats if I was to be.)

Reply #636332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dane Pineau and now Perry Ellis..

I'm not the least bit excited about the Kings making the finals or even climbing off the botton of then ladder in 17/18!

Seriously!! Who's making player decisions within that organisation!?

Reply #636335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JvG

Reply #636336 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Your comparing NCAA rebounding average to the NBL.. not a close comparison. 24 second shot clock here and he would probably play more mins here."

Some rebounding comparisons looking at total rebounding percentage, which shouldn't be directly affected by minutes played/shot clock:

Perry Ellis grabbed 13.3% of possible rebounds when he was on the floor, across his 4-year college career.

Greg Whittington grabbed 10.7% over 2 years.

Jameel McKay 16.1% over 2 years.

Akil Mitchell 16.4% over 4 years.

Eric Jacobson 12.4% over 4 years.

Reply #636337 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Unlike the Dane Pineau hyped-up recruitment, this one is actually a legit star recruitment if they can actually secure him after the summer leagues. I'm just wondering why they announce it now before being 100% sure that they will have him for the season. Wouldn't it be a disappointment to the Kings faithful if somehow he got signed by an NBA team? Yes, the chance of that may be slim but its not zero.

Anyways, why he didn't get more of a look-in by the NBA IMHO is that he is somewhat an enigma. His listed height and wingspan is considered too short to play PF in the NBA, but if you see him on-court next to 7 foot centres, he looked taller. I could've sworn that he's closer to 6'9" than 6'7".

His weight hovers around 100kg and not particularly of bulky build so the impression is he won't be strong enough in the post. If you see him play though, you'll notice that he has tremendous lower body strength. I often see PFs and C having difficulty guarding or posting him up because he held his balance or ground tremendously well.

His 3pt college stats was impressively efficient but less than mediocre at NBA range. He didn't look to have impressive vertical leap but he dunks with ease despite having so-so wingspan and can often do standing dunks with minimal space or with contact. Basically, there's a lot about him and his potential that an NBA scout won't like, but I suspect he has the skills to be a solid contributor in the NBA.

In the NBL, he could be an outstanding scorer if Gaze knows how to structure the offense with him as the focal point. Outstanding back to the basket low post scorer with elite NBL range 3pt shot or the long 2. Torrey Craig would have a tough time trying to stop him.

I'm not sure how he good he would be defensively or rebounding-wise. His 40min pace-adjusted to 24 seconds defensive rebounding stat is only 5.3 per game so if he grabs around lets say 2 offensive rpg per 40 min pace-adjusted, he will hover around 7-8 rpg per 40 minutes which is not that impressive. However the NBL is different to US college game, so will wait and see I suppose, but it looks like the Kings will have to find two rebounding juggernauts with all that 3 point shooters in their roster.

Reply #636339 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is this guy likely to be a third import or more of a feature player?

Reply #636341 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

6'8 with shoes. 6'10 wingspan 38inch max vert solid pick up kings! This guys is exciting for the league.

Reply #636343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is JvG away again in the US?

Reply #636344 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I'd think he would be a feature player Isaac, a second team All-American star player from a powerhouse college like Kansas is normally a lock for the NBA. It would be 'Kings then daylight' v2.0 if he was to be an afterthought third import!

Reply #636347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still shocked at the lack of knowledge about a player who was a four year starter on one of the blue chip programs. People are reacting as if a scrub has been signed.

Reply #636350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still shocked at the lack of knowledge on here (a hoops board)*

Nice write up, Steve.

Reply #636351 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, not everyone has time to follow college basketball.

Reply #636355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SteveK2 how can you say it would be Kings then day light even if he were the third import. The kings had the most talent of any squad last year and still played like chumps. Expecting the Kings to miss the finals again and expose Gaze for the terrible coach he is.

Reply #636369 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Reading about his unimpressive D-League numbers I would assume this guy is more a role playing import type that would be replacing Powell.

Reply #636373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac oh yeah you don't watch TV.

Reply #636376 | Report this post

{  
Years ago

This signing will get me in the door game night, awesome addition for the Kings.

Reply #636380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wear Perry Ellis trousers.

Reply #636381 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Terrific signing, Perry is a gun.

Reply #636385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D league numbers ? That don't tell u much. You get more idea from Steve2k's post how he play than some stupid stat line. Good read Steve but I disagree with his slim chance getting a contract. He was top scorer in the mini elite camp recently, if he does well in summer league he could get a contract.

He plays 4 years in a team filled with star recruits and still the lead guy. His teammates are in the nba, guys like Embid, Oubrie jr and Selden. They scout the hell outta him, double teamed, they know he likes to spin left and he still scores. This guy is legit plus he plays in Big 12 and its very rough, physical conference.

If this guy is 3rd import, then i expect them to bring in Jimmer Fredette and Dwight Howard. Any idiot can win championship coaching that and of course everyone will go on about kings then daylight duh that's obvious.

Reply #636402 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

D-League numbers don't tell you much? WTF?

I'll take his numbers playing in a pro league against men vs playing in an amateur league against kids.

You're talking about stuff he did 2 years ago. In college. Against kids. If this guy was such a star why did he go undrafted? Why was he cut early by the Hornets after just one pre-season game? Why he was only a role player in the D-League last season?

I'm not trying to knock the guy but I think it's obvious he's meant to be Powell's replacement not Whittington's.

Reply #636406 | Report this post

Indominus-Rex  
Years ago

@Zodiac why would he be Powell's replacement when he'll be playing the position that Whittington played last year and I'm almost certain he'll be starting in Whittington's spot as the Kings said they were looking for a starting import 4, and he's an import 4....

Reply #636408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couldn't this work similarly to some of the very successful import PGs? In that he's plenty good enough to be a dominant NBL player but lacks the size & quickness for his position at the NBA level? From what I saw of him and Pineau in college, Ellis should be a long way ahead. Ellis spent two years as the leading scorer for a major conference champion. Pineau wouldn't be close to being capable of that.

Not stating as fact that he will be a dominant NBL player. Just that lack of NBA success isn't an indicator of lack of NBL ability.

Reply #636427 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I won't say that stats are useless as a gauge but they certainly can be misleading if that's your only source of information when scouting a player. D-league could be one of the most volatile in terms of roster turnover because of the frequent sent-downs and call-ups by the NBA.

Perry Ellis' stats in Greensboro reflected some of that. If you just look at his minutes, points, FGA, rebounds and so forth, you would be having the sort of questions that Zodiac have about this bloke.

In truth, Ellis had a slow start when he joined the Swarm and had to play behind Christian Wood for more than half the season. The Hornets assigned and recalled Wood three times until they eventually settled and kept him with the side to finish the NBA season. So for the first half of the season, Ellis' minutes and role were changed depending on Wood's arrival and departure.

He actually finished the second half quite strongly when Wood left with a few 20+ pt games despite being the 4th/5th option behind Damien Wilkins, Cat Barber, Archie Goodwin and Mike Tobey. Even had some good rebounding game in the last month of the season to make me have question marks about his actual rebounding ability.

Casey Prather also didn't have the best D-league stats when he was with Bakersfield Jam. Similar situation as Ellis having to play behind NBA guys sent down and recalled. He turned out ok in the NBL.

Reply #636433 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I have watched him play a bit on TV when he was at college and I think he is a very capable player, potentially a very good signing for the kINGS...

Reply #636518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kids in amateur league ? Top teams in big12 playing at full strength can kick the arse of NBL teams. The college teams that used to tour Oz didn't bring all their big name players, play like its holiday or not even the top teams. Last time was LSU with Simmons but LSU was only so so. False impression that college kids aĺl can't compete with men in NBL.

I'm real bored with this long off season and Nba finals don't start until next week. Wish I could watch those old KU games to check out Ellis again.

Reply #636840 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Plenty on Youtube anon. Here's some you can watch over the weekend.

Perry's highest scoring game:

Epic triple OT vs Sooners and the return game:

Reply #636846 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:16 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754