Anonymous
Years ago

Mavs resign Warhurst, reject Kevin brooks

Warhurst has won 5 games over the last 3 seasons and mavs have resigned him to ruin their program for atleast another 2 year deal after his disastrous coaching the past 3 years.

Topic #43830 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re-sign***

Reply #702643 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

"disastrous coaching"

How do you figure?

Reply #702648 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Kevin Brooks may seem like a good option but something went wrong at Norwood and he quit after one season. I imagine his price is higher than most at this level as well.

Reply #702655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is bsa bringing in relegation this season?

Reply #702657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you take a look at the Mavs men over a decade of poor results
Last 6 times (3 under the current coach)
Second to last 3 times
6th being the best in a decade

The culture is terrible and there is no demand for discipline or commitment to the club from players who have been kicked off other teams for either having a bad attitude or are plainly not good enough.
Mavs is the last stop for club rejects this is fact if you go through a decade of playing rosters.

Change was definitely needed but in true Mavs style things stay the same.

Reply #702658 | Report this post

Charon 74  
Years ago

Worst retention of male Juniors in the comp is a major reason they fail year after year. I played under the current coach in his first year and whilst he was knowledgeable he lacked control of a team that fought continually a training and reserves games. The culture was every man for themselves and the coach just going off his trolley at the officials. Nightmare year I'll never forget.

Reply #702659 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Warhurst was a great player but it seems their offences are constantly changing the players have a lack of discipline and don't know what they’re running, yet they seem to have atleast 3-5 really talented players that can win at the PL level but he can’t seem to build anything around them and create a winning culture, which creates the question, what is he doing to fix this? So far, nothing. Does this also lead back to poor presidency?

Reply #702660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How they can re sign such below par coaching is beyond belief! Could see last season that his players did not want to play hard for him & good efforts were not rewarded. Here's to another 2 years of terrible Mavericks basketball.... which is a shame because there is some talent on their list!

Reply #702662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certain players don't do preseason or attend training commitments and still get playing minutes. One player (not an import) rolled up a the singlet presentation and ended up starting after basically doing nothing prior. Another played football and training about 10% of the time he was rewarded by starting the first game of the Premier League season then quit!! This is just a sample of what is the norm at Mavs.

Reply #702663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did they even advertise?

Reply #702666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players will walk guaranteed

Reply #702667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah Mavs don't you love them

Reply #702670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember when they had Bruce, Madgen and Hill... still didn't make finals

Reply #702673 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I think if you have a good memory those three only played about half of the season. Easy to knock Mavs and some probably deserved but a number of clubs have suffered similar fate at some time. Three current opals were Junior's at Mavs not sure to many clubs can boast three senior Australians on the same team from their ranks.
New facility not far away the future is bright if they can get off court right.

Reply #702677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Madgen yes
Francis yes
Wilson Jun at Sturt
Talbot Jun at Fville joined Mavs then finished at Norwood

Mavs Jun program No, SASI yes.

Reply #702678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So when did KB apply, or did they approach him? Surely they'd know it would cost a bit. So was it a financial decision, OP, please elaborate or you should have just posted they were getting Warhust back.

Reply #702681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The women at Mavs have always done reasonably well and have a high number of their club Juniors represented at senior level, the men are a rabble at very best. There are a number of decent PL asst coaches that could bring in fresh ideas and a new approach that could revatilse the Men's program. The issue would be that Mavs isn't the most attractive program to be involved with for those that want to be a head coach. I would say that there would have been minimal to no applicants in the race and the committee have just rolled over the same coach. Kevin Brookes may or may not have been the answer but at least he is new to the club and would bring something different to the court this year.

Reply #702687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South men brought in some new blood and that's commendable. No doubt Al had done better than Jason has. Eastern should have head hunted a new face.

Reply #702695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alex Wilson played juniors at both Sturt and Eastern.

Reply #702697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still had the best import combo last season.

Decisions like this is why they aren't taken seriously. Another disappointing year ahead

Reply #702711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson went to Navs at 18's to play for her father who was appointed for a season. He then poached Talbot from Forestville. Alex Wilson spent her important Jun years at the Sabres. I genuinely hate clubs that take credit for players they poached at 18's level and claim them as there junior.

Reply #702712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson also started at Mavs until dad/sturt moved her to win.

Reply #702713 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think the comments highlight the general issues that the Mavs face compare to the "inner city" clubs. Clubs based within 10 minutes or so of the CBD can retain a lot of their juniors for seniors. A kid who lives in Colonel Light Gardens can start off playing basketball at the social level, then play for one of a number of clubs within a par 5 of home (god forbid that Toorak Tractor travel any further north than the car park of Wildie) Then once "Pippa" has finished school and heads off to Uni, she can still continue playing for her club because she is still living at home with mummy and daddy. Then once she has finished Uni she gets a job in Parkside doing "something in PR" and still plays for her club.

Now look at Mavs. "Cheryl" lives at Wistow, she starts playing social at Mt Barker, gets into the Mavs, but also plays in her country league. Goes to Mt Barker high, finishes school, gets a job in Adelaide doing "something in sales". Moves in with a few girlfriends into a stare house at Plympton. Instead of travelling to the Hills to play basketball Saturday night, she is partying hard with her flatmates.

I think you'll find if you sampled 100 juniors from Sturt and 100 juniors from Mavs who were playing at U12 (say then 10) and were aged 20 now, I think you'll find probably 85 of the 100 from Sturt are still living at home and probably less than half of the Mavs players still live in the area.

Reply #702716 | Report this post

Tiny Pinder  
Years ago

This is why Mavericks continue to be referred to as a joke. Why in the world would the committee give him another two seasons when he sucked it up big time. I don't recall him winning anything including Juniors!
Crazy crazy crazy

Reply #702717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps they rang Norwood and centrals and got a reference on KB

Just because you're a good player doesn’t make you a good coach.

Al green gone now too, another perfect example

Reply #702718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack Toft - does the same apply to Centrals and Southern for their more country players?

Reply #702721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It must be $ for the club? Ridiculous appointment that just makes no sense.

Reply #702731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mavs also knocked back another player coach option as well.

word on the street is KB will be heading back to the Lions to coach the women

announcement very soon

Reply #702738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The asst coach Wade Hampton would have been better than Jason Warhurst.
When you win a game a season you have issues in the way you coach end of story.

Reply #702744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who was the player coach??? I heard it was Starling

Reply #702746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starlings been pretty vocal about only wanting to play for Hawkes from what I hear.

Reply #702750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's not going to happen, Hawkes doesn't want it, had enough. And they butted heads a lot this year so can't see why.

Reply #702778 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Anon 702721, I reckon a similar story would apply to Centrals. For Southern, most of the kids are probably still living there at 20 so not as bad

Reply #702779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#778. I almost spat my beer out laughing at your comment. You obviously have no idea!!!

Reply #702781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#281, why did Alex bring it up at woolacott and why has Nathan said he wants a break. And why has north already decided on his replacement, finish the rest of your beer mate

Reply #702782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is the replacement then?

Reply #702785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You still have no idea!!!

Reply #702789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know Hawkes and am pretty sure he is applying for the team again. Has built a good program with a great culture. Should remain his. Who is his replacement??
Hawkes and Starling may butt heads sometimes but they are actually fairly close and get along well. Expect both back leading the program in 2019.

Reply #702793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South signing Petty is a massive gamble but at least it's a positive step towards change. Mavs should have done likewise but the president and committee are so far out of whack with what is required that this appointment doesn't come as a surprise at all. Jason should have taken some time off IMO, not good for the team, club or the culture.

Reply #702797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you know Nathan do well give him a call. Replacement is an ex sixer

Reply #702821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jason Joynes?

Reply #702824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wrong again^^

Reply #702825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ex 36er? Pero??

Reply #702826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No need to give Nathan a call, as I said, he will be back to coach North next year.
Pero, ha.

Reply #702831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guaranteed it's not Hawkes.

Reply #702834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guaranteed you have no idea!!!

Reply #702836 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

Taking bets on who actually has a clue: Tweedledum, or Tweedledumber.

Reply #702837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both options would be better for Mavs than Warhurst

Reply #702845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mavs probably did look at KB's past in norwood and centrals as they were both terrible experiences, i also heard his SAABL team isn't doing any good either.

Reply #702852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KB did great at Norwood in trying circumstances.

Reply #702854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Many at North are aware of a minor, select few that are trying to get Hawkes replaced. Fortunately they are heavily outnumbered by those who put the club first before their own agendas.

Reply #702868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Jason Joynes would be the women's coach at north

Reply #702869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jo Hill to coach the women.

Reply #702872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a chance.

Reply #702880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joynes would have been great at Mavs men

Reply #702883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

again, its probably financial issues, no reason to resign warhurst if he isnt the only they could afford

Reply #702885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is this select few wanting Hawkes or are younger just speculating again

Reply #702895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Call me Tweedledum but I spoke to person who they offered it too and he's accepted. Has coached before and is ex 6er. Now when it's announced I expect tweedledummer to apologise.

Reply #702899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one has offered anything yet. If you know so much name the person or you are just another shit stirrer

Reply #702902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All I'm gonna do is give those 2 clues, anymore and it'll give it away.

Reply #702904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are wrong!! The process hasn't even started to interview any candidates

Reply #702905 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

Why would you care about giving it away? What are North going to do - track your IP?

Reply #702906 | Report this post

Team Player  
Years ago

No need to change the North Mens coach. Their defensive intensity was awesome in the latter part of the season. Keeps the Dunlap principles alive in the club also being taught in the 12s and 16s to great effect.
The womens job could be a tough gig. No Jo No Leah creates a huge hole.
Still lots of talent there

Reply #702918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Tweedledum, maybe tell us who you think has confirmed the offer to the new Rockets coach.
I imagine it is from the "select few" that think they actually have a say so I wouldn't read too much into it.
As mentioned, the application process hasn't even begun so they are talking out of their arse.
You will get no apology from whoever Tweedledee is because if Hawkes applies and from where that program is now from when he started, he will remain the coach.

Reply #702920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem with Mavs is they don't run the club properly which comes from the top down. Sponsorship is left to last minute which means no money in advance to know what the hell they can afford. They get their imports in way too late which is another issue and no networking about getting other players. Mavs have some good players - young ones as well 22 years and below.

Jason is a good coach but if he takes these comments on board he needs to chill the hell out and treat his players with more respect. Maybe also needs to get some decent imports that actually fit into the team. Wise was terrible until the end of the season and Rios came out cracking and then filtered off.

One thing for Mavs is they don't buy their team a championship when a number of clubs do. If all clubs had a cash flow like Nyberg has then it will be a different story. Unfortunately for Eagles Teys and the bench did F-All Grand Final which cost them the game.

Give Warhurst a break as he's been dealt with many challenges over the last 3 years. Maybe if the President/Committee knew what they were doing, then shit wouldn't hit the fan.

Reply #702923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he had the same rules across the board for all players that commit and do the right thing then that may help the way his players see him. Unfortunately Jason bends the rules how he sees it and has shit on many off his pkayers over his three year reign of nothing but the same each year.
Perhaps if he actually changed his approach and rewarded those that do everything for the team and the club then he may get the buy in and respect he needs to succeed.

Reply #702943 | Report this post

Ex 36er wasn't Hawkes an ex 36er

Surely north wouldn’t sign Al Green

Reply #702952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just to humour that stupid notion:
Hawkes
KB
Andy Simmons
Dean Kinsmen
Tim Brenton
Sapwell
McKay
Maher?
Green
Pero
Ninnis

Others?

Reply #702953 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Couldn't imagine North signing Al over Hawkes.

Reply #702986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another thread suggests KB doing the Centrals women next year

Reply #703394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OK, was told to keep it quiet, but new coach of men is Al Green. Not a matter of choosing him over Nate, he hasn't reapplied. So wait and see Tweedledummer and choke on your words. North are just going through motions before its announced.

Reply #703665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ lol

Reply #703686 | Report this post

Jimmy Carr  
Years ago

Hey #665 - applications don't close until the 14th, so how has Hawkes not applied? You're clearly just making stuff up.

Reply #703749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because he's said he's not going around again, duh!!! Als already been told

Reply #703766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ Wrong! Again!

Reply #703773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who has told Al all this - anyone with any authority?

Reply #703774 | Report this post

Jimmy Carr  
Years ago

I'm by no means in the know or a close friend of Hawkes but from what I hear he's already submitted his application. Can someone who does know him please confirm that any suggestion that he's not "going round again" is a complete fabrication. Given that that part of your post is incorrect I reckon it's safe to say so is your info regarding Al already being told it's his.

Reply #703775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Al is posting on here again

Reply #703777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe anon 766 has mistaken Andy and Forestville with Nathan and North

Reply #703778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am in the know with Hawkes at least. Never heard him say he was "not going round again", just that after the loss to the Eagles he was going to take some time to think about it.
Whoever keeps stating Hawkes is done obviously hasn't spoken to him or his team.

Reply #703811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Christian Bell was an ex 6er who has coached before

Reply #703816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Christian Bell was an ex 6er who has coached before

Reply #703817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

David Spear was an ex 6er who has coached before

Reply #703818 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Bomber Kubank ex sixer ex coach.

Reply #703907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scott Ninnis is an ex 6er and ex coach

Reply #703912 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:30 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754