Hogwash
Years ago

Hawks v United 8 Nov

Third matchup already between thses sides.
Goulding out for Melbourne makes this a close one imo.

Thoughts?

Topic #44239 | Report this topic

Hogwash  
Years ago

* these.

Reply #714487 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

Could see this one going either way..

Reply #714495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This probably will be very close, Melbourne done lot flying and games over the last few rounds. Hawks will want win this to stay in touch, think even without Goulding Melbourne should win a very good tight contest.

Reply #714496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melb by 16

Reply #714498 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Last time they played in the Gong, quad-druple over-time

Reply #714502 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Could see this one going either way..

Yeah ditto. The Hawks could be uncompetitive and lose badly, but I could also see them being competitive and losing narrowly.

Reply #714531 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Melbourne by 20.

Reply #714534 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I literally forgot all about this game. Wow!

This is the natural cycle...we're in what, round 4 now?

First couple of rounds, watch heaps of bball, eagerly anticipate every game...

Reply #714545 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Market has Hawks firming and Utd drifting in price. Interesting.

Reply #714552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack Toft, the other day I gave you credit for being one of those most ingenious posters on here. Someone who I try to seek out in game threads to see what gold you come up with. And this is what you deliver today? My life is over.

Reply #714553 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

sorry mate..... work day and a crazy week at work so far, so I haven't been able to deliver....

Reply #714554 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

+1 Anon 553.

Vote #1 Jack Toft.

Reply #714555 | Report this post

Jack Who?  
Years ago

If waiting on Jack to deliver a thread is the highlight of your day I feel sorry for you.

Reply #714569 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

"Last time they played in the Gong, quad-druple over-time"

Jack Toft

You could have said ....last time they played in the Gong there was more overtime than you would find on a Macedonian steelworker's pay docket.

Reply #714574 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Backcourt????

Reply #714586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope everything has to go over the half way line, including the ball. The ball never crossed the line

Reply #714589 | Report this post

Dr. basketball  
Years ago

Hawks best play is giving it to the big fulla near the hoop

Reply #714592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shocking calls again in this game - definitely favouring hawks.

Reply #714594 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

League-wide conspiracy to get Illawarra into the playoffs

Reply #714595 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Shocking calls, and a few obvious make-up calls, but that doesn't excuse United’s poor play.

United are proving to me that they’re a confidence team - they have really tightened up and look scared to shoot from outside. Not filling me with confidence for the finals right now.

And wtf was Vickerman thinking when he had only one decent (read confident) shooter on in the 3rd quarter?

Reply #714599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just a matter of time before the hawks roll over

Reply #714601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 absolutely terrible fouls on Kennedy and he's fouled out. This league is a joke.

Reply #714604 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Home Cooking League sponsored by Hungry Jack's. Wait, what?

Reply #714606 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Surely its home cooking because Bevo used to coach Perth.

Reply #714617 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Maybe if united keep running up high foul counts it's because they are consistently fouling....

Reply #714619 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Do those guys in green get paid? I sure hope not!

Reply #714620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love fracktards commentating about the refs when they don't actually understand the rules.

Reply #714623 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I genuinely enjoy watching any team in the league play, but damn that final quarter was the toughest thing I've ensured so far in to the season.

Offense was turrible.

Reply #714624 | Report this post

mike  
Years ago

my god the refereeing was terible - making the games hard to watch - I was at the Breakers v Adelaise game last week and that pasty bald ref blows his whistle on every play almost - if the basketball is G leage standard the refs are primary school standard - something needs to be done about the way they ref. There is little post play and loads of threes and free throws as you cannot touch anybody.
Just watched the Lakers VS Minnesota and couldn't tell you what the refs looked like but you did in this NBL game

Reply #714627 | Report this post

mike  
Years ago

my god the refereeing was terible - making the games hard to watch - I was at the Breakers v Adelaise game last week and that pasty bald ref blows his whistle on every play almost - if the basketball is G leage standard the refs are primary school standard - something needs to be done about the way they ref. There is little post play and loads of threes and free throws as you cannot touch anybody.
Just watched the Lakers VS Minnesota and couldn't tell you what the refs looked like but you did in this NBL game

Reply #714628 | Report this post

Dr. basketball  
Years ago

There are some very insulting comments about the referees being made but I was taught the bloke with the whistle is always right.

Reply #714632 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I rate Louise.

Reply #714633 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Noice Hawks.

Reply #714636 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Maybe if united keep running up high foul counts it's because they are consistently fouling...."

This. Dean Vickerman's teams have finished 1st in fouls every year he has coached in the league. I personally think Melbourne are lucky not to be whistled more, they certainly push the envelope with the way they go about it, just like many championship teams before them.

Reply #714639 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

God I just love Brian Conklin and his 'fuck you' game style

Reply #714653 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I don't mind him either. Uh oh Perth fans coming at us in 3, 2, 1...

Reply #714656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne looked jaded, in this competition you can't be slightly off and win. Anderson made a statement as well.

Reply #714666 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

You could have said ....last time they played in the Gong there was more overtime than you would find on a Macedonian steelworker's pay docket..

Don't laugh. I have a friend who works in HR at the steelworks and they told me of an incident in the 1970s when they had a guy (possibly of ethnic extraction) who was on two shifts at the plant and had been for some time. They were on a shift crew in the sinter plant (start of the process) and on a second crew in the casting yard. The steelworks had something like 14,000 workers so there were bodies everywhere and no one clicked he was drawing two pay packets and sleeping on the job.

Reply #714670 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I missed this one.

Any mention of how CG's knee is going?

Reply #714695 | Report this post

mike  
Years ago

i lovethat the guy with the whistle comment is right - trouble is there will be nobody watching the games and imports not wanting to come. DJ Kennedy last night and Shawn long tonight were just sat because of trrible Amateur calls. When your watching non professional etc you can't complain, but in prof basketball the standard of the refs needs to be up similar to the standard of the players.

Reply #714875 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Nope everything has to go over the half way line, including the ball. The ball never crossed the line"

Just watching this game now, ball is over the halfway line once McCarron touches it with both his feet over the half. Unbelievable missed call, not surprisingly Chris Reid again! Whenever there's a howler good chance it's Reid or Chapman, they just seem to make a habit of it.

Reply #715047 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You have to have control of the ball in the front court. McCarron never had control.

Reply #715060 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

By my reading the definition of control in this instance includes attempting to catch it (the standard definition of control is holding or dribbling but that now includes catching for crosscourt violations), which was the case here.

The three points of contact was introduced for the situation of a player dribbling the ball across half-court, to combat the trend of defenders trying to pump them back whilst they were straddling the line.

Reply #715065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

30.1.1 A team is in control of a live ball in its front court when:

- A player of that team is touching his front court with both feet while holding, catching or dribbling the ball in his front court.

Although ugly McCarron's was a legal play.

Reply #715067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Catching, not attempting to catch. The player does not take control of the ball. If this was a inbound pass in the front court the shot clock would not start ruining until United took control, not just because he touches the ball attempting to catch it. The game clock would start but not the shot clock.

Reply #715071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what time in the game was this?

Reply #715072 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If 'catching' actually means a complete catch then it wouldn't need to be added to the definition, because someone who completes a catch is 'holding' the ball. It's an interesting one because the new definition certainly could have been worded better.

Reply #715075 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"If this was a inbound pass in the front court the shot clock would not start ruining until United took control."

United take control of the ball when the referee hands it to the inbounder in that situation.

Reply #715077 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

OK, managed to dig out FIBA's examples of the new rule, which contains this statement:

"A live ball has been illegally returned to the backcourt when a team A player who is completely in the frontcourt, causes the ball to touch the backcourt, after which a team A player is the first to touch the ball either in the frontcourt or backcourt."

This suggests the play last night was a violation. But then further along it gives a really explicit example, which says it is in fact legal, so I got this one wrong:

"A1 in his backcourt passes the ball to A2 who is in his frontcourt. A2 touches the ball
which returns to A1 who is still in the backcourt.
Interpretation: Legal play. A2 has not yet established control of the ball in his frontcourt."

Reply #715080 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The stupid thing is McCarron could have avoided the entire situation by putting one foot in the back court before catching the ball, instead of trying the balancing act.

Reply #715085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In a nut shell though they got it right, even though I like nearly all others thought it was a bad decision. Well done to the refs even though a lot off decisions in that game were woeful.

Reply #715120 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:25 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754