PersonalFoul
Years ago

Copeland @ Altona

what a high profile coaching get for the club.

Its always good to see ex-NBL and 'named' stars in the local leagues. Great for opposition coaches & players.

How did no other club look at Copeland for season 2020 is the next question.

Topic #45804 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably because they checked out how he has done at his previous bigV jobs?

Reply #758435 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Previous jobs doesn't always mean you're a terrible coach - previous jobs might be wrong fit, bad board, not enough $$ etc

Too often in Australia we sack or dismiss coaches after 1 attempt ... English Premier League and Soccer is historically known for sacked coaches to go on to have success at other clubs why is basketball different?

Reply #758436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Copeland was my coach at sunbury years ago and it struck me as odd that he didn't talk about the basics of what to do on D. You'd think with all his experience as a player that he would understand the need to put in defensive rules unless the coaches he played for never put any emphasis on it.

Reply #758437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being a big name former player doesn't mean you're a good coach, either.

Reply #758438 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

To the poster above about D rules

Worth a look at old tapes of the Melbourne Tigers. Certainly weren't known as a defensive powerhouse, they simply scored more than the opposition. With prolific scorers like Gaze and Copeland etc.. i am sure Lindsay had some defensive rules but he had more faith in his offence to get the job done.

Reply #758439 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

And it was probably an indictment on Lindsay Gaze and his coaching that he had the GOAT (his son) on his team for 22 seasons plus star players like Copeland, Bradtke, Marcus Timmons and Dave Simmons yet only ever won two championships.

Reply #758440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless you played and transitioned into coaching over the past 3 years no system you ever ran will ever help you! The game is constantly changing and evolving. The only thing you'll be able to impliment is a good culture and maybe a quick hitter sideline or baseline out of bounds play.

It was tough (and a bit embarrassing) to watch him and Andrew rolling out the old Tigers shuffle like they thought they could prove to people that pass and cut still had a place in today's game. They also rolled out zero defensive strategy based off that old school "she'll be right" mantra at the defensive end. They got destroyed.

If you don't evolve with how the game is played successfully around the world you'll be spit out pretty quickly.

Reply #758443 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[And it was probably an indictment on Lindsay Gaze and his coaching that he had the GOAT (his son) on his team for 22 seasons plus star players like Copeland, Bradtke, Marcus Timmons and Dave Simmons yet only ever won two championships.]

I think the devil is in the details here.

In the 80's, the Tigers had Gaze and no one else. It was only the 90’s where Gaze was accompanied by other stars. This was an era where you had a great Perth Wildcats group, and the GOAT coach Goorjian whose teams were always strong. Plus other teams popping up for a season or two- eg Giants with prime D-Mac, Chris Jent, Maley, Reidy.

Then, take away 1995 when Bradtke was overseas and 1999 when Gaze was in San Antonio. After 2000 everyone was getting old (Gaze and Copeland turned 35 in 2000) and there were other strong teams in this next era too (eg: Titans with Anstey, D-Mac, Mosley, Jason Smith, Crocs with Sam McKinnon and Rob Rose, etc).

So really, there were only 5 or 6 seasons where Lindsay Gaze had a truly elite roster at his disposal. And it was an era with plenty of strong teams. And they did win 2 championships from 4 grand finals.

Reply #758444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which job? Coaching Director?

Reply #758445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speaking of, anyone know where Justin Schueller from nbl1 Kilsyth is heading.

Reply #758446 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Schuller is United Assistant and U17 Aus Coach, doesn't have time for NBL1 team.

The info just has Copeland as mens Div 1 Coach

I think lets see how he goes, what was he like at Broadmeadows.

Gets people talking - more off-season noise

Reply #758447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks personal foul. I had my hopes up that it would be coaching director.... alas, not to be.

Reply #758448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Copeland has coached Big V before.

Geelong Div 1 for a season.
Hume City SCM for a season.
Sunbury Div 1 for a season.

Now it's Altona Div 2.

Reply #758449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The word was that Scheuler was not required at Kilsyth, I'd say he is looking for another winter coaching job.

Reply #758450 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

From what I've seen of Copeland he puts in the time - I used to see him (before he went to Sydney) at MSAC every morning before 7am with squads of guys and running individuals.

My gut tells me he'd be good in a player dev role but maybe struggle as the head coach.

On Lindsay Gaze's coaching, yes those Tigers teams should probably have won some more. That group 92-2000 was as good a collection of talent that has ever been in the league before or since. LV has detailed some more above, but he also had some blind spots such as overplaying starters and not really having a plan B when things didn't go to plan - just running plan A "better"

It was still the most entertaining basketball to watch (bias, obviously) so I wouldn't change it for the world.

Reply #758453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's got his work cut out at Altona, players hated each other there this season

Reply #758458 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:42 am, Sat 11 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754