Ball4llday
Years ago

1 Percenters to improve our League

Given the increased exposure to the NBL I still can't help but think there are so many little things that can be done to improve our local product.

As a keen follower it's still dissapoints me , the instances of unprofessionalism that I feel takes away from our league.

1.) Commentators (D.Casey) I'm looking at you. These really need to be local and in the event they are not, can we employ ppl with half an idea about the game.

2.) Replays during telecast, time and time again when there is a significant play, the wrong replay is shown, or no replay shown at all. We're left there sitting with the commentators waiting.

3.) Scoreboards, how hard is it to get this right? Slow updates, or incorrect scores allocated during the game

4.) Stopclock! We need an accurate stopclock, theres always a time lag during deadballs, i.e 30 seconds remaining in the qtr, team A takes it from the baseline, uses their full 24 seconds, more often than not the remaining time just expires before Team B can get another shot off.

what do you guys think? Anything other small aspects that can be improved?

Topic #46070 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop cutting to the crowd or the coach or whatever, during live play

Reply #768149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Showing the crowd after a good play

Reply #768159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Move Illawarra to a city that would appreciate a team. Stadium is always half empty even with the big names

Reply #768161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last nights game, 2,614. Pathetic.

Reply #768164 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The commentary is the single biggest issue. How do you draw fans if nobody is selling the game?

Reply #768167 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"Showing the crowd after a good play"

Always puzzled by the directors' obsessions with random crowd shots. I guarantee no-one is tuning in to watch the crowd and it's very rare for the crowd to be doing something more interesting than what's happening on court. Save the crowd shots for true breaks in play.

A good one-percent-er would be to get rid of play reviews in the last 2 minutes of games. They absolutely kill the excitement whenever they happen. I believe the confusing and mood killing nature of this practice subtracts more value from the spectator and player experiences than their resultys add.

Reply #768177 | Report this post

Ballalld4y  
Years ago

Completely agree with the crowd shots, especially when in Illawara or cairns where the stands resemble that of the local rec centre

Reply #768178 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

A good one-percent-er would be to get rid of play reviews in the last 2 minutes of games.
So only get rid of reviews during the most critical time of the game, when the rulebook specifically expands review options?

Reply #768180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

stop showing "unattractive" people when cutting to the crowd... I know it's a bit hard when the game is in Illawarra, but at least try.

Ok unattractive is subjective, but the FIFA world cup and Australian cricket producers seem to get it right.

It also contradicts the demographics the NBL and First Ever is trying to appeal to.

Reply #768181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowd shots are/can be good, but only when used at the right time or they're shit.

-during play no one cares, we want to be watching the game. Save it for when the ball is dead.

-A crowd shot every now and then can be good promotion though, people at home can be watching all the people in crowd having a great time and think of how they want to be a part of that.

-i like occasional crowd shots after a big play for somewhere like Perth/Melb/NZ, a wide angle shot of an entire packed out stand going crazy with excitement and passion looks pretty cool imo.

-Places like Illawarra like last night... just not a good look seeing an empty crowd. Within tuning in for 15sec i could see how small and dead the crowd was and its just sad. If you are going to show the crowd you need to disguise it better and use better angles and shots, otherwise it looks terrible for the league.

Reply #768182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously every Hawks game has to include 7 shots of that fat ugly bloke in the front row. Give us a break

Reply #768184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop showing dude in wheelchair ffs. Stop giving Shane Heal an income.

Reply #768188 | Report this post

The frustration of waiting for the ball to be brought back up court but we have to watch one or all of:
Kid eating a hotdog
Drunk bogans that hold there beers up and cheer
Family who may of got tickets for free from work and have no idea what they are watching
Girls who are more interested in posting they are at the Bball on the phone then watching...
JUST SHOW THE GAME

Reply #768197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More shots of the cheerleaders. Been very lacking this year.

Reply #768199 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Agree with all comments about the crowd shots, both good and bad. How bad does it look when there's a shot of the crowd and the people being focussed on look bored or are on their phones etc? Show them when theyre going nuts or doing something cool.

Also, this doesn't get mentioned much, but i dont really get the constant need to have cameras in time out huddles. Do we really care what play is being drawn up? Id rather see some analysis graphics, or some replays or even the cheerleaders every now and again during the timeouts. Unless your a serious ball player, listening into time outs especially when its not very animated can be a bit boring from an entertainment pov.

Reply #768211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Loud music during play stops crowd cheering. Some people playing music either think they are the next top dj or think they get paid for every song sample they play. Big difference between using music to create atmosphere and enliven the crowd to music drowning out everything. Uniforms clashing nearly every year illawarra involved. White singlets with strong red top section clashes with wildcats. Agreed re time outs and crowd shots. What about the entertainment inment. Mascots dancers lets occasionally see what else is going on.

Reply #768213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's all running smoothly at this point

Reply #768215 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"So only get rid of reviews during the most critical time of the game, when the rulebook specifically expands review options?"

I never understood why some reviews are allowed only within a narrow period of the game. Either allow it all game or don't allow it all. With respect to referee mistakes, the last 2 minutes shouldn't be any more critical than any other 2 minutes of the game. If anything, the last two minutes are arguably the least critical because the game result is often decided by then.

Reply #768216 | Report this post

chillbaby  
Years ago

re the Hawks crowds this season. I have season tickets to both Hawks and Kings - love the NBL!. The scheduling for the Hawks - for whatever reason - to start the season has been pretty tough. The first game was the same day as the NRL grand final up the road and this week and next week are both Monday nights - not known for large crowds at most venues. I havent been to either Hawks games this season - was at NRL GF and left work too late Monday and unfortunately can't get there next Monday either due to work commitments - although if it was Sat/Sun I'd be there - will be going to Wildcats game though next Friday night. Just sayin'... by the way I'm not that "fat, ugly bloke" referred to in the Illawarra crowd - at least I don't think so...

Reply #768218 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

^what rjd said. Reviews in only a 2 minute period of a 40 minute game is hypocritical. So either ruin the whole game with them or none. I'd like to know what the players think of reviews in the last 2 mins.

Reply #768224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have got to tone down the music. It's actually nice to hear the ball bounce, the players talk, the crowd cheer and the whistle blow. Music was non stop and so loud on Sunday at the Phoenix game. It never stops. It is so loud that it makes it difficult to have a conversation with the person sitting next to you. If you want ringing in your ears - go to a nightclub - not a basketball game. Some music is fine and it can enhance the atmosphere and add to the experience. Just don't play it for the whole game.

Reply #768226 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Stop cutting to the crowd or the coach or whatever, during live play
I've only seen the Phoenix-United game so far, but every time they cut to the crowd, it was so dim and unexciting compared to the well-lit court. I'd rather watch the players getting back or pressing up court than a drab crowd scene.

Reply #768230 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Isaac

In-game camera perspective and editing need to be made.

A game in Perth, Melbourne or Sydney with big crowds could involve panning to crowd, if the crowd are into it and add to the spectacle. Even sellouts in smaller venues with good crowd involvement. NBL needs to show people at games having a great time, to create demand for tickets from broadcast viewers.

Reply #768313 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:26 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754