FlyingAsOne
Years ago

Aussie NBL PG Pecking Order

So we've got a lot of quality here, but only 1 starter being DameO, as I just can't count Sobey as a point man. So this would be my order-

Martin (still the GOAT & a winner)
Gibson
Naar
Adnam
Bruce
Norton
White

Honourable mentions to Weeks, Dech & Glover, McCarron & Sobey, but I think they're wings, with Ili & Kenny being kiwis.

So after Martin & Gibson who are in their twilight years, can anyone see Naar, Adnam, Bruce or Norton ever pushing their stocks high enough to be a starting PG in our league?

& yes I'm mainly asking as I'm hoping the answer is no, so we down Illawarra way have the best chance of keeping Naar long term: )

Topic #46666 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm old school & think all teams need a genuine 1 to run the show & steer the ship on court, so YES, Sobey is not a point guard.

Reply #784591 | Report this post

No Cadee! Wait until Heal sees this thread.

Can't see the guys below Martin and Gibson being starters any time soon.
Too many good imports in Ware, Randle, Machado, Roberson etc..

Any top flight Aussie prospects eg Wigness or Josh Giddey will end up in the U.S.

Reply #784593 | Report this post

FlyingAsOne  
Years ago

Ha.
Honestly forgot Cadee. LOL.
Probably cause The Hammer & most others with voice on the airwaves massively overrate him.

Never really rated him as a point & thought his best role was as a back up 2 guard coming on to spark the O.

Cadee's drive & milk foul lean in floater makes me wanna vomit as he suckers the refs every single time.

Seriously though, if Cadee counts as an Aussie point, I'd probably place him below Adnam & above Bruce.

Reply #784610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin Goat. Nah. Should have retired after the jaw incident. Grat player but Goat is bullshit.

Reply #784616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Possibles soon
Mcdowell-White
Tai Webster-kiwi
Wigness-unlikely going to college

Juniors in college potential backups after next season.
Isaac White-stanford
Kyle zunic-Winthrop

Possible Hugh greenwood switch in a couple of years.

Reply #784619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noah Thomas also-dfrake

Reply #784622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Josh Giddey then daylight

Reply #784626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boy that's a very shallow list, some of those guys might compete in Asian championship but would get killed on a world stage. There bench players.

Reply #784630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hugh Greenwood lol he just got paid a bucket load for a four year contract to go to the suns and will be 28 by the time the next AFL season starts

Reply #784631 | Report this post

The list is shallow but it's the same for most positions in the NBL.

Reply #784633 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

When you have your own t-shirt, you gotta be on the list!

Reply #784642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does Norton not count as a PG, or is Cotton PG when Damo goes to the bench?

Reply #784669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't sleep on Dante and Delly when their current NBA contracts run out.

Reply #784672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slightly off topic, but where did Bijan Johnson come up with "The Messenger" nickname? Creates his own logo now this. What does messenger have to do with basketball? Is it he telegraphs all the turnovers he's about to make?
Is he the greatest self promoting nbl (I use that strictly technically) point guard?

Reply #784690 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

because in 3 years he'll be driving a white van around delivering packages and telling anyone who will listen how he used to be a big-time nbl player.

Reply #784695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PG is definitely the weakest NBL position for Australian born (or raised) players.

For example if you look at say the top 5 (aprox) in each position below (in no particular order), you see how weak the position is compared to the others.

PG - Martin, Gibson, Norton, Naar, Bruce
SG - Goulding, Sobey, McCarron, Drmic, Madgen
SF - Creek, Newley, Noi, Steindl, Moller
PF - Kay, Deng, Cooks, Magnay, Barlow
C - Bogut, Johnson, Ogilvy, Jawai, Hodgson

As noted by someone else earlier, none of the other positions have good depth either with really only 3-4 strong starting quality players in most positions.

It's clear the league has become VERY reliant on imports. With a 10th team coming on soon, depth is becoming a big issue. We need some of the young talent to step up and become stars

Reply #784706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller ain't no sf.

Several guys in Europe, a few college kids, aus nba leavers will help fill the void for a few years.
Lots of retirements over next 2 seasons, easily over 10 who are mid 30s.

Reply #784707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ fair point on Moller...but who takes that top 5 SF spot... Blanchfield!? Yet another example of the lack of depth.

I know there are a fair few college players and other overseas guys that can take up some of the slack with the pending retirements. But what concerns me is the increase in locals needed (+8 players) for the next team. It's getting harder with the talent coming through.
More focus needs to be put on getting locals up to the elite level and keeping them here in the NBL

Reply #784713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller played small forward in Melbourne and playing SM and PF at Sydney.

Kay , Magnay, Deng, Cooks , Barlow
Creek, Newley, Moller, Steindl, Noi
The point guard spot is a weakness, McCarron and Sobey should gettime at the point probably with Naar

Reply #784714 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Martin Goat. Nah. Should have retired after the jaw incident."

And missed out on (at least) three more titles? I don't think so.

Reply #784728 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

And a Larry Sengstock medal to boot.

Reply #784731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To me from this list from the younger brigade of point guards either still in college or starting their pro career would be in no order
Naar
McDowell White
Wigness
Giddey more of a combo guard I think
Dech combo
Glover combo
Zunic combo
White combo
Mudronja combo?
To me not to many true point guards

Reply #784780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Naar nearly 26 so not really in young brigade. Hopefully some these develop.

Reply #784783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mudronja is a 1, don't see him at all as a 2.

Reply #784787 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:42 am, Fri 10 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754