Dellavedova / Broekhoff
Ingles / Creek
Simmons / Maker
Baynes / Bogut

Reserves: Bolden, Green, Goulding & Adel

Topic #46744 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, mills at 1, Delly at 2? Exum has done little, so,too Maker.
12 players on the team...

Simmons / Dellavedova
Mills / Cotton / Exum(CG) or Goulding(SG)
Ingles / Broekhoff(SF) or Creek(SF)
2-3 of Landale, Bolden, Maker, Kay (Brown likely to choose NBA guys over nbl or euroleague)
Baynes / Bogut

Reply #787225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the fascination with Green? There is a chance he will be a great player sooner rather than later, but right now he is an 18-year developing his game and not up to playing at the Olympics.

Reply #787235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly can't handle PG just look at World Cup. Mills a more pure PG. Simmons better utilised at the 4but can rotate to PG.

Who would you take over Exum? He’s a lock.

Reply #787236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bolden and Adel are in the G league, Adel getting very few minutes and lots dnp. It's a shit team and won’t go anywhere but stick to your fantasy world.

Reply #787239 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

I've got

Simmons/delly
Mills/exum/Goulding
Ingles/broekoff
Landale/ kay/ creek/ maker/bolden (3 of)
Barnes/ bogut

Goulding deserves his spot after a solid World Cup and can be a real difference maker off the bench. Exum to talented and versatile not to have a spot. Cotton although a super talent if naturalised has no history with the team so no chance for me.

It’s the 4 spot that is the most wide open for me, landale and Kay we’re both great at the World Cup, As was creek at times. Bolden and maker haven’t really taken the next step up imo and bolden pulling the pin on the World Cup was a big mistake and leaves him on the outer

Reply #787240 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

Cotton MUST play if naturalised. I just don't think he’l be naturalised in time, I think the process takes a few years, look at Tai Wesley for example.
Hypothetically though, he’d be on court when Mills is on bench. Simple.
(I’m from Melb so don’t call me a bias cats fan)

Reply #787254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I now think Cotton needs to be a lock too if he can play. He's the closest thing we have to Patty Mills in terms of style. While we have a lot of great shooters and offensive players, no one besides Mills has that ability to consistently create something out of nothing when required.

Honestly think Cotton will be one of our best performers at Tokyo if he plays.

Reply #787260 | Report this post

I'm picking 8 players to start with
Simmons, Dellavedova
Mills,
Ingles, Broekhoff
Landale,
Baynes, Bogut

Cotton if available gets in over Goulding for me.
Exum if healthy will probably get in.
Josh Green is a chance but might need an injury from someone else to get in.
Power forward is the hardest to pick. Thon Maker could be ok as backup 4/5. Motum won't get in.
Kay still a chance but would be as 11/12 man.
Bolden hasn't shown he should be in.
Adel will NOT make it.

Cotton the X factor in the prime of his career. Simmons can play 1 or 4.

Reply #787261 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

Simmons / Exum / Delly
Mills / Cotton*
Ingles / Broekhoff
Landale / Maker / Bolden
Baynes / Bogut

*Goulding for Cotton if citizenship doesn't come in time

Reply #787272 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I wouldn't have Maker or Bolden in my Olympic 10/12 man roster.

*controversial*

Reply #787275 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Simmons / Exum / Delly
Mills / Cotton/Goulding
Ingles / Broekhoff
Landale / Kay
Baynes / Bogut

Simmons height allows for an extra guard over an extra big.

If given a 13th spot, Motum would be my guy IMO.

Haven't been following him, so we expect Cooks to be fighting with Cotton/Goulding on account of his three point shooting capability?

I think Green will be too young.

When you’ve got Simmons driving and drawing defenders, our three point shooting will be absolutely critical. Following that, dogged offensive rebounders will be critical: Landale, Kay

Reply #787280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maker, Deladova, Bolden, have not done anything all season and Broekhoff has been injured lately but got lots dnp before injuries.

Reply #787281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cook is shooting at 13% from three point land, should not be ahead of a fit Mitch Creek. Creek much better defensively as well.

Reply #787285 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

test

Reply #787286 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

This is where it gets very tough.

In the World Cup we saw Kay, Goulding and Creek all playing well. If you add in Cotton it becomes very hard to pick.

While defence is important, three point shooting is just so critical to take advantage of Simmons and Mills.

Where there's an argument for Bolden is our team doesn’t have athleticism which makes it hard against some of the more athletic African nations. We found it harder than we should have in the WC.

But the best teams aside from US are Eastern European which requires the Baynes types

Reply #787288 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I'd like to see Cotton on the team. You'd have one of him and Mills on court at all times and that would make us very tough to stop.

I'd go for something like KETs team

Reply #787297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the latest news on Cottons citizenships? Is it in motion? Has anyone heard anything?

Reply #787298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think 2023/24 team will be much easier to pick.
No Delly, Goulding, Mills, ingles, Broekhoff, Baynes or Bogut.

Reply #787300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From The West this week re: Cotton citizenship:

"Cotton has applied for Australian citizenship but said he had not received any updates on his application's progress.

New Boomers coach Brett Brown is also yet to make contact but Cotton said he’d love to represent Australia at the Olympics if given that opportunity."

Reply #787335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding? Fuck off

Barring injuries, we'll have too many players for the backcourt as it is. Last thing we need is a one-trick pony like Bubbles.

Besides, if we do need another shooter, Cotton is twice the player.

Reply #787338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Bolden and Adel are in the G league, Adel getting very few minutes and lots dnp. It's a shit team and won't go anywhere but stick to your fantasy world."

THEY ARE STILL BETTER ALL NBL PLAYERS EXCEPT BOGUT, CREEK.

Reply #787349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rubbish.

Reply #787351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kyrie would be handy in the guard spot.

Reply #787464 | Report this post

Bolden would do well in the NBL.
I don't see the fuss about Adel maybe he would be good off some teams bench.

Reply #787489 | Report this post

Last Olympics for Bogut, Baynes, Ingles, Mills and Dellavedova most likely would be good to see them get a medal.

Reply #787490 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

My 2 cents...

Simmons
Mills / Cotton
Ingles / Brokehoff
Creek / Landale
Baynes / Bogut

Delly 10th man for inspiration & limited minutes.
Goulding on Boomers past performance at 11th.
Then Kay, Motum, Cooks or Exum sneaks that last spot backing up the bench.

Reply #787520 | Report this post

Mills will still be around for 2024. He'd only be 35/36 when that takes place and with the mpg he's logging with the spurs he should still be plenty fresh by the time that rolls around.

Reply #787608 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Cotton has applied for Australian citizenship but said he had not received any updates on his application's progress."

Not surprised by this. The Australian citizenship process provides no feedback, no contact information, taking months to years, until it is either accepted or rejected. BA ought to explore finding an inside contact who might know something about the application, or even somehow get it prioritized. It'd be in the national interest, of course. Cotton subbing for Mills would be massive. The on-off splits for Mills were big in the World Cup.

Reply #787753 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"THEY ARE STILL BETTER ALL NBL PLAYERS EXCEPT BOGUT, CREEK.

"

And you know that by what, all the G League all stars who've come here and struggled?

Reply #787757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Floppin's impact for the Boomers is being exaggerated. Unless he can bring the Perth Arena ref's with him to Tokyo we should stop this obsession with pretending this yank is an aussie and focus on which actual Australian we should take to wear the green & gold. I could understand the hoo haa if it was Kyrie Irving but not for Nyce Floppin.

Reply #787760 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

rjd, reckon Dutton's the man and Cotton should apply as an au pair.

Reply #787770 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Not many G League stars have come here and struggled

In fact most of them are big success ie Cotton, Jackson, Prather, Long, even Creek etc, etc

In most cases G League stats translate very well to NBL and they have more guys of this Cotton, etc level than the NBL does.

Sure there have been a couple of failures, but overall, recruiting guys who have put up good numbers in the G League is successful for the NBL clubs.

I personally would put the Aussies who play in the G League above most NBL players without NBA or Euroleague experience from a boomers point of view, especially guys like Adel who have had a sniff of NBA experience, to a similar level of Creek who is the NBL star anyway and would likely be of similar level to Creek.

Id much rather pick guys like Deng Adel over Cam Gliddon and Cooks type NBL players, in the end Adel is a 6'7 very athletic wing, averaging 12p, 3a, 5r and a good defender in the Gleague, and out performing those Giddon, Cooks, Barlow types of Aussies who are in the NBL. The fact those guys got picked ahead of Adel was a big failing,and a big reason why Lemanis had to go.

So I would look a little deeper with the G League players are garbage thinking. Quick example compare Creek and Cottons NBL and G League stats.

In general anyone with NBA or Euroleague experience should be picked ahead of NBL players without it, even if they are currently in the G League

My Team for Tokyo

Bayens/Bogut
Bolden/Maker/Landlae
Ingles/Creek/Broekhoff
Mills/Exum
Simmons/Delly

Humphries, Mathiang,Adel, Bairstow, Motum, Goulding, Kay, Green, Cotton (if naturalised in time) maybe Sobey, M-White, Noi should be pretty much the only other players considered if guys are unavailable.

Reply #787773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noi. Lmao, Cairns have performed better with out him, his +/- is terrible.

Reply #787775 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

I only mention Noi as a maybe camp invite, due to his youth, length and athleticism.

Reply #787777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys with genuine potential should absolutely be involved in the larger camps to give them a taste of Boomers ball and some motivation to keep developing. Just being around guys like Mills & Ingles for a few days would be amazing.

Reply #787779 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Given that the coronavirus is starting to shut sporting events down but that the Olympics is too big to shut down, I expect to see many of the top teams without their stars.

I can see a repeat of the WC where many of the top players stay away because of pressure from their agents or the NBA, which will result in a weaker USA team and the Boomers for example.

There will be a lot of sports executives hoping that a vaccine is found pretty damn quick, so that they don't have to make some hard decisions.

Reply #795112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons / Dellavedova
Mills / Cotton / Thybulle
Ingles / Broekhoff
Landale / Maker / (*Bolden, Kay, Cooks, Creek, 1 of) - maybe even Magnay.
Baynes / Bogut

Reserves
PG Exum
SG Goulding
SF *others above
PF *others above
C *others above

Reply #795174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously you guys have not been following Makur in the nba this year, he has been given opportunities including the odd start and produced nothing. His plus, minus would be horrendous. Try and look at a bit form before putting names on a page.

Reply #795177 | Report this post

Brad.  
Years ago

Cotton would be great but yet to see proof of his naturalisation.

Reply #795185 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I got a sneaky suspicion the vaccine will be released just in time to save the Olympics. Say mid May.

(shit, tin foil hat just blew off!!!! Damn it!)

Reply #795188 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

An anon wrote: "Landale / Maker / (*Bolden, Kay, Cooks, Creek, 1 of) - maybe even Magnay."

Is it that you don't like Magnay's game enough or just feel he is too inexperienced? IMhO, the way he has developed and played this season puts him just behind Landale in the rotation.

Reply #795198 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

A lot of water has to pass under the bridge between then and now. Ben Simmons' injury "shouldn't" be a factor but could be. The coronavirus could see the event even straight out cancelled. Injuries. Contract situations. Anything could conspire to constrict the team, as it often does.

If all went perfectly well and the basketball gods smile upon us we will once again have a team in the hunt for a medal. Whether Brett Brown is actually going to do a better job than Lemanis is up for debate with the only clear edge being Simmons' involvement, and even that is questionable at this point.

MY team:

Ben Simmons
Patty Mills
Joe Ingles
Jock Landale
Aron Baynes

Dante Exum
Mattise Thybulle
Ryan Broekhoff
Thon Maker
Andrew Bogut
Nick Kay
Bryce Cotton

Reply #795213 | Report this post

Brad.  
Years ago

I like your team ME.
Though some will scoff at the omission of Dellavedova.

Reply #795223 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

It would seem like sacrilege to leave him out, but with his three point shooting and form right now he'd probably be a liability. I'd put him in camp and see if he can step up but I wouldn't bank on it. I think he's had his best days.

Reply #795233 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Coronavirus:

Just a thought.

IFF a vaccine is developed, Will trials/camps need to be delayed.

Vaccinations often impair athletic performance for a short period (a week is quite common).

The high IQ/ low athleticism players would be less impacted, but those relying on athleticism more would underperform.

The vaccination factor may impact on a lot of elite sports.

Reply #795259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A vaccine is still a long way off

Reply #795261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If our best aren't available the following can fill in at short notice;

Cadee
Teys (capt)
Blanchfield
Majok Deng
Andersen

Adnam
Dillon
White
Drmic
Krzlovic
Jawai
Luke Nevill.

Reply #795266 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Apparently the decision will be made by May as to whether it stays going ahead. That is two to three months within which to contain this spread a bit.

Reply #795279 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Quote: "If our best aren't available the following can fill in at short notice;"

Isn't that a bit lambs-to-the-slaughter?

If our best aren't available it will be cos they don't want to die!

So, what your saying, Anon 266, is "Thanks, and R.I.P." to the following;

Cadee
Teys (capt)
Blanchfield
Majok Deng
Andersen

Adnam
Dillon
White
Drmic
Krzlovic
Jawai
Luke Nevill.

Good one!

Reply #795286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chill pill robot.

Reply #795324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was pretty silly #266

Reply #795327 | Report this post

Shane Heal  
Years ago

Here's my team with approximate minutes
PG: Simmons 28
SG: Mills 27
SF: Thybulle 24
PF: Ingles 25
C: Baynes 25
BPG: Dellavedova 15
BSG: Goulding 0
BSF: Broekhoff 20
BPF: Kay 8
BC: Bogut 15
BN: Cotton 13
BN: Landale 0

If Bogut looks sluggish, Landale/Kay (in small ball 5 role) takes his minutes. If Thybulle isn't hitting corner 3's Broekhoff takes his starting spot. One of Mills/Cotton on court at all times (never together). Ingles/Delly play Point when Simmons off court.

Standby: Exum, Goulding, Creek, Maker, Bolden

Reply #798101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shane H I actually quite like it which is unusual for anything that comes out of Heals mouth.

I would take Exum ahead of Goulding if he's healthy though.

Reply #798103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starters
Simmons
Mills
Ingles
Landale
Baynes

Bench
Dellavedova
Cotton
Creek
Broekhoff - needs gametime
Kay - 60/40 going. Lack of athleticism an issue.
Maker - FIBA maker better than club maker
Humphries - red hot form, no Bogut

Reserves
Exum - Injured time after time, Delly possible replacement
Green - needs more time to develop, creeks/ingles/Broekhoff future replacement.
Thybulle - elite defender, mediocre on offense, creeks/ingles/Broekhoff future replacement.
Bolden - limited gametime, lacks enthusiasm
Magnay - no game time, time to develop at next level, Baynes future replacement

Reply #830531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding - mills or cottons replacement.

Reply #830532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Squad of 14, expecting at least 2 drop out.

Mills
Dellavedova
Cotton
Simmons
Green
Exum
Thybulle
Ingles
Broekhoff
Nick Kay
Landale
Motum
Baynes
Humphries

Fringe and/or names of random players to incite flaming

Goulding
Creek
Bolden
McCarron
Sobey
Magnay
Giddey
Adel
D Johnson
J White
S Froling
Noi
Travers
Pineau
Lual-Acuil
Hodgson

Reply #830535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorjan loves mobile athletes, maker will be there, Kay less likely.

Reply #830536 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

Didn't Goorj say recently they’ll be announcing a 24 man squad sometime soon and side note, does anyone think the olympics may not even happen, I believe someone from Japan (as in like a government official of sorts) or like a committee member say given the current circumstances it may not be wise to do an olympics

Reply #830543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This week 24 man announced.

It will go ahead as long as everyone that comes is vaccinated.

Reply #830549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deladova, Maker, Exum, Broekhoff, Pineau, Magnay are not even playing, Tracers, Noi, lol, Cotton is not naturalised , Adel could get in but has shown nothing or is injured.
Maker ahead of Kay is ridiculous, Kay is playing in the second best national league in the world, Maker is still reading his press. Goorj doesn't get a lot wrong so I think he’ll get a balanced squad that won’t disappoint.

Reply #830560 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Is the Asia Cup happening before the Olympics so then we can use at as practice games?

It seems it will be postponed. It doesn't feel possible with Limited travel.

Reply #830562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay is averaging 9-6-1 and is 3rd last on the ladder

Reply #830563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

# 563, I'm certain Maker would like those stats. His side is full of ball hogging US imports that only like one end of the court, I’ll let you work out which end.

Reply #830567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simply not true, he started well and is now getting beaten by the more athletic pfs.
He did ok at the 2019 WC but it won't be enough in Tokyo as most teams will be at full strength, not like the wc.

Reply #830569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trimble is top scorer in acb with 19 pts per game.

Reply #830570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trimble was over 20 and doing what Trimble does, shoot a lot but plays poor defence, his shooting percentage is dropping due to the last month being on the bench and getting a lot less time.
He does get beaten by more athletic fours, but he is still playing more minutes than anyone else, so obviously the coaches are happy with him. Kay is still a much better option than Maker who has headlines but what has he shown.

Reply #830576 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

"Goorjan loves mobile athletes, maker will be there, Kay less likely."

Remember the (original) Bear, Tony Ronaldson? Would still be one of Goorj's faves, I bet. Tony to join Bogut, on the sidelines at Olympics!?

Any news on Bogut's Boomers' involvement, in any role?

Reply #830631 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:15 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754