Anonymous
Years ago

Melbourne United can still do it

Coach Vickerman said they need to win 4 out of their last 5 to make it. The run home:

1) v Perth
2) @ Brisbane
3) v Illawarra
4) v Taipans
5) "@" SEM

So 4 of the 5 games are in Melbourne. Illawarra is a free win right now. So let's say they need 3 out of 4. I could see them doing it. SEM are flat right now. So let's say 2 out of 3 of the other games.

Topic #46791 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Yeah, they could, but the question is "should"?

Reply #789036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The cattle is over hyped and not that good or in Pledger and Barlow is beyond the use by date though Barlow would still be a good 10/11 man. So if the hype comes true they will get there but I myself think they can't.

Perth still has the best model, get good Australian core with good imports around them, Sydney and Brisbane have done it reasonably well and it looks like paying off. Melbourne seem to get imports first.

Reply #789040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think they'll beat Illawarra, SEM and possibly Brisbane. They won’t beat Perth. The Cairns game could be the key one. Their run home is actually pretty favourable having so many home games. I’d rather see the Breakers get the 4th spot, but I actually think Brisbane will get it.

Reply #789042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne could lose all those games, at least they won't get the wooden spoon.

Reply #789044 | Report this post

put a fork in em

Reply #789045 | Report this post

Simon Cowell  
Years ago

That's a no from me.

Reply #789047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next 2 games:

1) Lose to Perth and lose to Brisbane - Season is over.
2) Beat Perth and lose to Brisbane - Season is over, albeit a 'mathematical' chance.
3) Lose to Perth and beat Brisbane - Season alive with realistic chance of winning last 3.
4) Beat Perth and beat Brisbane - Lock in finals. Team will be full of confidence.

Reply #789049 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

They're done, their body language is terrible when they aren’t just cruising to victory.

Reply #789050 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

Fair to say scenario 1 is the overwhelming favourite ^

Reply #789051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They aren't beating Perth or cairns. They’re flat they look depressed.

Reply #789055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They'll lose to Perth and Brisbane by 20. Season over. They’ll be lucky to win 2 more games. Vu Kerman is kidding himself

Reply #789057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lv in incognito mode!!

Reply #789062 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I don't think SEM would be "flat" if they were playing MU for the last game of the year and had a chance to keep them out of the playoffs; and if they couldn't get up for that game then there's some serious issues.

It'd come down to winning all 3 against SEM, Brisbane and Cairns (given the surety in the Ill and Perth games) and I just don't think that's going to happen; too inconsistent for my liking.

Reply #789076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sem have guys still hungry to prove themselves. Not flat at all.

Reply #789077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks by 30

Reply #789081 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Reply #789089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can dooooooo ittttttttt

Reply #789090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United thrashed Perth in Perth not that long ago. They definitely have a chance on Wednesday

Reply #789091 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United destroyed Perth in Perth a month ago.

Form is fickle. Who knows?

The old cliche is relevant here. "One game at a time". Beat Perth and suddenly everything looks very different.

Reply #789098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United destroyed Perth in Perth a month ago.

Evidently that was United and LVs grand final.

Reply #789099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a united fan, but got a feeling they'll beat perth tonight

Reply #789105 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I've got a gut feeling they won't win tonight, but maybe tomorrow night...

Reply #789106 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

There's so many ways this could go, with Brisbane, United and Cairns all still to play each other.

But, essentially if United loses either of the next two, it becomes extremely difficult. They'd need to win their last three, and hope other results go their way.

Reply #789107 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

United have enough offensive talent on paper to do it, but at the game on Sunday the chemistry issues were pretty apparent from where I was seeing, on the court and on the sidelines. Nothing builds chemistry quite like winning so a big win tomorrow night and possibly they turn things around, but I think a loss in Perth and these guys are done, regardless of what the math says.

Reply #789108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Their last 3 games were all important games, with plenty of time to prepare and lots of empty talk beforehand. They lost by 14, 22 and 18... See a pattern there? They are rubbish and done for the season.

Reply #789109 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

United are done and so is Vickerman

Reply #789111 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Depends which version of them turns up... They're certainly capable, but as said above, the body language is pretty awful at times...

On a related note, what are the contract situations like for the players? Assume the imports are all on 1yr deals with options at the most? Anyone decent playing for a job next season?

Reply #789114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather is under contract, lmao.

Reply #789118 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Prather the highest paid towel waver in NBL history!

Reply #789121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes at least last time he was towel waving 2/3 season he helped them to championship.

Reply #789122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBLfacts
@nblfacts
·
38m
The
@BrisbaneBullets
are the first team since the Kings in 1996 - and the first Bullets team ever - to play five straight games shooting above 52% from the field.

vs Wildcats 55.88%
at Breakers 54.93%
vs Hawks 56.94%
vs Phoenix 54.05%
at 36ers 52.78%

Brisbane looks the goods for 4th at this point.

Reply #789132 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

They are done!
No team camaraderie.Just money grabbers.

Reply #789165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amount of quarters 'won' in last 3 games played:

10 -Kings
8 -Wildcats
8 -Breakers
7 -Bullets
5 -Taipans
4 -36ers
4 -Phoenix
3 -Hawks
1 -United***

(Melbourne have not outscored their opponent in any of their last ten quarters for the first time in franchise history)

Reply #789310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Even the hawks have won 3 shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitt

Reply #789311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe they can now. Beat Brisbane and there in you would think.

Reply #789434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I told you they could still do it

Reply #789475 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So did I.

Reply #789487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The equation for United is this: win both remaining games, and they're in

Reply #791895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One game away

Reply #792701 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The equation for United is this: win both remaining games, and they're in

Not 100% though
If NZ has a massive win and Melbourne has only a narrow win then NZ gets 4th
eg. if NZ wins 100-75 and Melbourne wins 95-90 then NZ gets 4th spot.

Reply #792702 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That example would give MEL +64 and NZB +62? Add another 3pts to NZB's score and they go through.

What happens if points differential between the two teams is tied? Head to head count-back?

United playing last and knowing the permutations is a huge advantage. What a luxurious run home they have this round - even though their game on Sunday is away. Amazing.

Reply #792703 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Is it just about margin, though, or is it actually percentage? If the latter, the same margin can be worth a different amount, ie a 10-5 win is 200% but a 90-85 win is only 106%.

Which makes the complaints about the Illawarra game on NZ's behalf odd, because a 65-52 win got them 125% but a 99-86 win would only have got them 1.15%, so the longer the game went the more they would have had to increase the margin for the same percentage benefit.

Similarly, if it's overall margin a win increases it, no matter the margin. If it's percentage, a win by less than your average winning margin will actually decrease it.

For example Sydney's percentage is 106.44, with their points averages being 94 for and 89 against. If they beat Illawarra 91-90, their percentage drops to 106.25.

Melbourne, NZ and Brisbane are all so close to 100% there's not that much wiggle room for percentage-decreasing wins, but it can happen.

In Luuuc's example, the 100-75 win would give NZ a percentage of 102.52, while a 95-90 Melbourne win leaves them on a percentage of 102.50, and NZ goes through.

However, quite a few people are only quoting margins on Twitter, and if that is indeed the tiebreaker a) it unfairly punishes slower-paced teams and b) all this math becomes irrelevant.

Reply #792704 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

My bad, I get the example now, it surely would be based on points percentage not margin you would think as historically it was always the latter before the change to mini-league head-to-head.

Nevertheless NBL are doing a poor job of communicating the scenarios at play.

The following was in the United-Taipans match report to add to the confusion:

The only way Melbourne can win on Sunday and still miss the finals is if the Breakers beat the Phoenix on Friday night in Christchurch by 23 more points than United wins by.

"We are close, about 20 points up [on percentage] but I can certainly see New Zealand putting a possible margin like that up if they play the way they have been playing lately," Melbourne coach Dean Vickerman said.

So the nbl.com.au author is wrong yet at the same time quotes Vickerman who correctly understands the margin isn't fixed since it is percentage based. Classic NBL.

Reply #792707 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Although looking back at the match report and the author is going off of pure points margin as 23pts is the magic number which equates to MEL +64 and NZB +65 so they may be right?

Also adding "on percentage" in brackets to Vickerman's quote adds even more confusion as coach didn't verbalise the exact method of calculation when stating "about 20 points up" yet the author has used incorrect terminology in trying to clarify what was being referenced. Bizarre. NBL never change.

Reply #792709 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Door is open for a Bradbury title.

Bogut might be more banged up than we realise.

Martin has a semi major injury at least every other year. Maybe this year he has a second.

Reply #792712 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:55 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754