anon
Years ago

Joey Wright on 5AA

Thanks a lot 6ers, way to disappoint the kids, according to Joey on the radio 6ers quashed Jack McVeigh attending the Transition Sport camp next week, doubt there is any legitimate reason other than their own poor form, proven time and time again, another PR disaster. My kids were excited to go not only for Joey but also to work with Jack, still looking forward to it after no basketball for so long, but very disappointing from 6ers.

Topic #47355 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard the interview....

Is it even legal?
There is no conflict of interest and the 6ers are not training yet?

Surely having your players involved with the community in an event like this is great for the 6ers organisation.

Not going to go down well with the kids that are involved in the event, parents and now this next saga is out the wider community.

Reply #810167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps McVeigh is contracted to the 36ers and is obliged to get permission prior to taking on any outside work.

Reply #810169 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

wasn't it widely reported all the players had to take a wage cut perhaps with that in mind and the current climate, 6ers wouldn't deny supplementing income while engaging with kids in the community, he could have been advised that was the case and told not to do it again, now 6ers just look nasty

Reply #810171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe it's as simple as the 36ers don’t want anyone at the club associated with Joey.

Reply #810172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack was going to attend another camp run by a local club and was told he couldn't attend. No money in it for Jack, he was just happy to come be involved.

Seems very short sighted by the 36ers.

Reply #810173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In what world would you want a current player being associated with the former head coach, who had messages about certain players hopefully hanging themselves?? Great PR move to let that go ahead..

Reply #810174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Sobey will come by and run the boxing warm
up for Joey?

Kev White to run the whatsapp welfare checks for Joey too?

Reply #810178 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Show me the person who has never said anything inappropriate in a private conversation ever, Joey admitted it was inappropriate and apologised, it was unfortunate it was made public by a sour grapes player and asst coach. You could also ask why anyone in their right mind would think Mitch Creek would want to chat to Kelley after a game and then true to form Kelley demands NBL discipline him after he tells him to rack off.

Reply #810179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

174, the player maybe has forgiven his coach for making snide remarks using an inappropriate metaphor. The remarks clearly were not literal in intent, in a group chat with what we are led to believe was only a handful of colleagues.

Maybe the organisation should move on too rather than controlling what their players do in their spare time to help grow the game and earn some extra cash too.

This is just another cringe worthy move by 36ers management.

Reply #810180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps they aren't happy Joey is being sought out by the players to coach them in the off season.

Reply #810181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't want someone representing my brand, associating with Joey Wright. You can’t leave the way he did, having the stuff he DID infact say come out, and expect the 36ers to want to have their employee associate with him so he can make a financial gain.

Reply #810182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Maybe it's as simple as the 36ers don't want anyone at the club associated with Joey." Joey who? His name is mud as oppossed to Voldermort.

Reply #810183 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Voldemort = Kelley

Reply #810186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kelley like it or not, has the money. Even if it's like a Dolan with the Knicks scenario, it is what it is.

Reply #810187 | Report this post

Cool Howie  
Years ago

Wright is a ball sack. Who cares what he has to say?

Reply #810189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Move on, nothing to see here. Geez, people need to seriously get over themselves.

Reply #810192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They want nothing to do with Joey due to his outlandish behaviour when working for the club.

Reply #810206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does Joey really care? It's more about kids missing out on getting to know Jack.

The 36ers employed an outside company to run camps and so on. That company sacked the 36ers because they were so badly managed. Let that sink in.

Reply #810217 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Everone keeps going on about what Joey did, but can someone please explain to me what it was that he actually did to deserve the abuse?

In terms of him running a camp for a financial gain. Isn't that pretty normal? Who does something for nothing? I doubt its main motivation wouldn't be financial anyway.

I've criticised coaching aspects about Joey on this forum in the past, and lots of posters have been outraged about what I've said, but I do feel a bit sorry for him in this case.

Reply #810218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Besides punching his star player, being toxic to the playing group and instigating almost weekly fights @ training, not to mention his comments re mental health, I'd think it is well deserved

Reply #810236 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Were you at 36ers trainings?

Reply #810240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's no longer at the club, time to move on. Players on contract to the Sixers got to stay loyal to one boss, should not be at camps with former coach.

Reply #810241 | Report this post

sman  
Years ago

i thought joey was getting a college coaching gig lol, time to put it to bed joey no one rates you anymore

Reply #810245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET: chat to some players/staff and you will get answers

Reply #810249 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

takes two to tango -one or two players common denominators in those boxing matches. tempers flare at all trainings regardless of the sport, elite or not, toxicity starts at the top, check the administration

Reply #810258 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

McVeigh is the type of player who gets out and mingles with the kids, helps get them interested and loving the game, it's something he seems to enjoy. A club that will have lost members, sponsors, etc through covid, and needs to start from scratch selling season tickets with a new team needs every bit of promotion and help they can get. You would hope it wasn't a decision from the Sixers based purely on Joey.

Reply #810274 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Anon depends who you chat with, plenty of the players also loved Joey.

The ones who didn't so much, were heavily criticised on here throughout the season(s) for being lazy, sooky, entitled, not getting it done for the team so it’s not hard to imagine those types clash with Joey less than players who didn’t act like that

Reply #810276 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I meant anonymous not Anon

Reply #810278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly KET , Joey is still training those players at the players request. Speaks volumes

Reply #810389 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I honestly think that when you're out the door, you need to make a complete break. There'll come a time when you can reconnect with your old players, and ask them to help out, but that time is not immediately after departing.

For the record, I think the issue of Joey's comments were blown out of proportion.
The club tried to implement a system to monitor the well-being of players. A few wankers childishly abused the system to vent their displeasure, and Joey basically said "fuck em." Then some other malcontent "snaps" the private conversation and makes it public.

But anyway, it's time for everyone, Joey, The Club, Players, and Fans, to move on.
Run your clinics Joey, but don't ask current players to help.

Reply #810392 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I may regret saying this but spot on Dazz.

Joey was having problems with the imports all season, the group chat was for the coaching group to monitor the players well-being and Joey being Joey wanted to show the other coaches his displeasure with the attitudes of a few select players and said what he said, basically "fuck em". It was a private chat that amounted to virtually nothing.

But one of those coaches decided to leak that chat to a player one known for being pretty righteous and right at the end of his career and he chose to leak it publicly probably in a last ditch attempt to keep his career alive at the same time burning the guy who gave his career a lifeline in the first place after his last team cut him despite being the captain of said team. Afterwards he got taken to task by another player on the team for what he did too a much more junior player.

Reply #810406 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

finally a voice of reason, common sense and truth

Reply #810416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"joey is still training those players at the players request. Speaks volumes." No it means there is no one at the Sixers that has control on the team. No HC and they haven't said to the playing group make no contact with Joey. Piss weak. (as usual)

Reply #810427 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

D2.0
This is in South Australia, there is no-one else to ask to help out.

Reply #810431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You miss the point anon that there are players that are still here who were loyal to Joey and there was a sub set that have been booted by the club

The actions speak to that.

I agree that the club should be stepping in and arranging coaching and conditioning in the off season while awaiting Henry to arrive ( insert that is still
up for debate too)

Considering that Perth are training as I bet other teams are too, for the 36ers not to have the team that is here training under someone's watch , say Liam Flynn, is laughable

Reply #810437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey working his angles for sympathy but let's be frank he embrassed the club and clearly the club could find issues with fair work etc so can’t see why they’d let any employees work with him

Reply #810455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems pretty black and white to me.

Reply #810458 | Report this post

Tjamu  
Years ago

the whole "Joey wanting players to hang themselves" is blown out of proportion and I can say this because I know both Joey and a lot of the guys involved personally.

Joey and the players from his earlier days at the club had a culture where the shit talk and banter was off the charts. Everyone was mates AND EVERYTHING FLEW, NOBODY GOT MAD OR UPSET. (oops, my caps lock malfunctioned)

team mates ripped into each other, Joey ragged on his guys, players and a small number of staff shot at Joey and there was ALWAYS laughs and shots back. Never anybody crying or exposing each other.

If Joey, or any of the players throughout the ordeal ran a screen record in their group chat you would see, Joey didnt really say anything out of line. To regular people who are happy winning participation awards, what he said was disgusting, but to those involved and around the organisation, it was literally just standard conversation amongst his guys.

Joey has his players backs like not many other coaches. this goes from star to development players, shit he looks after game day volunteers better than most. The Joey hating is blown out of proportion. If any of you somehow ended up lucky enough to be involved with the man, you'd reconsider bashing on him cos some angry person told you to

Reply #810470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All I know is I dropped of my lad there today and stuck around and I saw packed gym of kids running around and learning and developing in the sport.

Fantastic initiative, and sad that an organisation has seen it fit to illegally block players in the offseason from contributing to such a great initiative for the sport in their free time. Makes zero sense, bad business, and more damage to what was once a great 6ers brand. Can't blame anyone for this except the individual/s that made this decision. I wonder if it were the same people/person as the Mitch Creek saga?

Reply #810471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Illegally blocking players hahahaha

Reply #810472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Restraint of trade is illegal
36ers lurching from one drama to the next

Reply #810473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most employment contracts have a clause stating you must seek prior approval before obtaining other external employment. It's standard. Hardly restraint of trade. But cheers for posting in your lunch break Joey

Reply #810474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But this is pro sports, the NBL and more importantly the 36ers. The same club that forgot to get Ferguson's payment before releasing him , the same club that chased Mitch Creek in court to enforce a contract that didn't exist.

Pro sports players aren't normal employees in the eyes of the courts or the ATO for that matter.

Reply #810475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you're contracted to one company you just can’t go and work for another unless permission is allowed. Why would the Sixers want to help out a former coach who left in bad terms. It’s done in football where contracted players are on loan to other clubs, restriction of trade lmao.

Reply #810477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^5. If the Sixers can't get it done that's their fault. They should stay away from the toxic and cancerous Wright. Signing him to such a stupidly long contract was ridiculous too. More Sixers mismanagement.

Reply #810478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't understand NBL contracts then. AFL players run clinics as do A League. Despite these competing with their clubs now business model. A player is contracted to provide playing services, Jack McVeigh was not playing.Just as the club cant tell a player that they are now going to wash cars or take up other tasks as part of the their employment The 36ers cant stop him attending the camp, the only issue being to look at him unfavourably going forward.

Reply #810479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Calling Wright "cancerous" and "toxic" shows you have never met him or had a conversation with him. Because a minority had issue with him and used the attach on Wright to deflect from their own shortcomings is not an issue for Wright. Participating in liable may be an issue for you though so think before you post.

Reply #810480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its unfair to call Wright toxic and cancerous while not criticising the players who continued to let him down.

Reply #810481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Until this season nbl Australian contracts go over 12 months, you have to get a release from your club to play elsewhere or do anything with basketball, McVeigh had a two year deal so is under contract and Adelaide are quite within their right to stop him helping Wright.

This coming season onwards players can now take it over seasons length or 12 monthly.

Reply #810492 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

McVeigh signed a 3 year contract when he came to the Sixers.

Reply #810494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not true - you don't need to get a release to attend a camp , run a business or doing anything other than play basketball for said NBL club. You aren't a slave, the club can not legally tell you what you can and cant do outside of what you have signed up for.

Reply #810495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If any coach talks about 'hanging' then thats a toxic and cancerous environment.
""F**k all of them. Hopefully it gets low enough for them to hang themselves. F**king dicks," Then he went on to say to the ABC ""Everyone that knows me knows what kind of culture person I am," Wright said.
"If there was anybody setting culture rules there and wanting to abide by them, it's me. "That's probably one of my downfalls. "I'm too hardcore about keeping culture the way it's supposed to be and doing the things you're supposed to."
THat is a fact not libel. It also confirms exactly what sort of a culture he was enabling. One of toxicity and cancer.

Reply #810497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers have their own camp coming. Why would they allow one of their players to attend a rival camp whether it be Wright's or anybody elses. Business 101.

Reply #810498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're taking a private message out of context and making it into something it isn't. If there was a bad culture there but Joey couldn't fix it, thats on the players.

Reply #810500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A late famous nrl coach Jack Gibson use to say 3/4 years at any club was long enough, left Parramatta after a 3peat and didn't defend the for a fourth. Now in basketball this is not always the case due to normal high turnover of small list of players but in Wright’s case his time was up as his familiarity had its use by date.
Adelaide were in their right to tell their players not to go, it’s time for all to move on.

Reply #810511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey is a fantastic salesperson. And nobody sells the "poor me against the world" better than him. I know Joey very well personally, away from the court, and I can tell you he is a ruthless shark who will exploit anyone to get what he wants, all the while making you and everyone else believe he is sacrificing himself.

That message may have been taken out of context but reveals a lot about his true nature, and is not a sole example.

I would not let my players, employees, kids or girlfriends anywhere near the guy.

Reply #812026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glad you aren't my friend.

Reply #812028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#028 Never said I was his friend, and you should be glad you aren't either mate. Toxic and dysfunctional are the best words to describe him.
And if you believe players spoke up in favour of him proves he’s not that bad, you’d be dead wrong. He bullied the younger players (who still think he has some influence) that they owe him and made them post positive things about him.
He tried it with former colleagues too, but that didn’t work.
Check out his Transition Sports Promo video (https://www.facebook.com/171072676276563/posts/3211791645537969/?vh=e&d=n) he’s drunk and clearly slurring his words, can’t even open his eyes. Players reported that he was turning up drunk/hungover to training. 100% true.
He constantly screws people over and then cries "poor me, everything is so hard for me/everyone’s out to get me" when he’s called out on it.
Not denying his expertise or skill on the court, but as a human being, he is not a decent person.

Reply #812032 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The bags under his eyes and increased irritability over the years did have me wondering if it was a health issue.

Reply #812033 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:20 am, Tue 30 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754