Joe
Years ago

Given Victorian COVID-19 situation, will NBL go ahead?

So with all the new cases in VIC will the NBL go ahead or will they do what the other sports are doing and move everyone interstate.

Topic #47452 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

It's still five months away, at least. I wouldn't be surprised to see it delayed further.

Reply #813229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Move the teams to Sydney or Queensland

Reply #813230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Award the season to Perth!

Reply #813231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Award the season to Perth!

Reply #813232 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

You wouldn't want to be Phoenix/United.

What's the solution? Delay their home game fixtures and back-load it?

What's the likelihood of Australian Open happening in some form?

Will that affect the NBL and mean that United/Phoenix don't play home games until February?

Is the Phoenix home training ground big enough to hold a couple of NBL games if there was an Oz Open/NBL clash just to avoid those United/Phoenix home games from being pushed so far back?

All the questions.

Reply #813233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nbl cannot afford hubs

Reply #813234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL teetering on the edge of having no season in 20/21.

Reply #813235 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Plenty of time before a decision needs to be made.

Base the two Melbourne clubs in Tassie if need be.

Reply #813236 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Is the Phoenix home training ground big enough to hold a couple of NBL games if there was an Oz Open/NBL clash just to avoid those United/Phoenix home games from being pushed so far back?
You mean the venue the Phoenix played two or three games in during the tennis this past season?

Reply #813237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie is safe and the scummy Victorians aren't allowed in unless they do the full iso stuff.

Reply #813238 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I suggested a couple of days ago to put them in Tassie, or even Wellington!
Maybe put (dis) United in Hobart and perhaps The Wellington Phoenix...

Reply #813239 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

An alternative 'home' would get over one particular issue, but what about :

- Availability of venue?
- Suitability of venue (NBL level?)
- Will the fans there adopt their new team for 1 season? I don't think so.
- Who is going to pay for the team plus staff plus possibly family to stay there for 4-5 months?

Reply #813241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Move the competition to New Zealand. One of the only sporting comps that has the luxury of the connection to NZ

Reply #813242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is paying for that?

Reply #813243 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Unlike the AFL, and the NBL of seasons past, it is nolonger absurdly Victoria centric. Plus LK has shown he has a vision for the whole league.

A few weeks back, I though the Melbourne clubs might have been hesitant, but since FA opened they have moved ahead with some good (albeit mostly young) signings.

I thought the biggest impact would be to their pre-season, but if they're allowed full training, that's not a really an issue.

The problem with games isn't so much whether you can play in Melbourne, its getting the teams into the other cities. And at the moment Perth is one of the biggest problems. Serving 2 weeks iso before every Perth game, just isn't going to work.

It's still 4 months away, so a lot can change, but we might for example wee a scenario where there are no games played in hotspots (eg Melbourne) and teams behind hard borders (eg Perth) may have to relocate for a prolonged period.

I think at a bare minimum, the NBL will need to consider:
Reducing travel, so no-more crossing the continent every weekend;
Condensing the season, so two games very week for every team;
Playing double-headers, so you fly to your opponents city and play both away games;
and ultimately perhaps shortening the season. If the start gets pushed back any further, then I don;t think they have much choice.

Reply #813251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ still an idiot

Reply #813253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#253, it's a better opinion than anything you’ve got to say.

Reply #813255 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I haven't done enough research to say.

In other countries with this level of community transmission, has anyone really got the virus under control within 2-3 months?

I'm guessing the Andrews government wouldn't allow crowds at sports until the community transmission is back in the single figures every day. Is that even feasible within the next 2-3 months? If not, there's no way the NBL goes ahead of Melbourne in December.

Reply #813259 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And I should add, I could be wrong but my gut feel is, I don't think the NBL will do hubs etc.

I doubt the NBL would even bother going ahead if 2 of the clubs won't be getting crowd.

Who would pay the salaries of the United and SEM players without those clubs getting much revenue?

Or maybe Larry would just stump up and offer to keep United and SEM running? Maybe. Possible I guess.

Reply #813260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ have it under control and their rugby is being played to full stadiums.

Reply #813261 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

They're not going to nix a season because of two teams, especially if there are options. If "no crowds in Melbourne" was the only problem, then they'll have to start with a bunch of away games, and if still not solved, they either sell their home games elsewhere, or play behind closed doors.
The bigger problem will be if there are still real restrictions on their travel,
OR if Covid actually gets into the teams.

I think at this point the critical thing will be to see if Community transmission cases start to drop off over the next couple of weeks, meaning their lockdowns have worked, or if things just continue to go to shit.

At the moment I'm a hell of lot more worried about my daughter, than the NBL

Reply #813262 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

see if Community transmission cases start to drop off over the next couple of weeks, meaning their lockdowns have worked, or if things just continue to go to shit.
The lag time is about two weeks. Melbourne is on week three, so we should be well into lockdown-affected numbers by now, and case-per-day numbers are still climbing.

Reply #813263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide has a near empty purpose built venue. I'm sure the owner/s would welcome any use of it. There are options available and LK has the money to do it if needed.

Reply #813264 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

So if things go well and the season can start, will our clubs have any issue having our imports arrive in time, will our teams even be able to find imports or will it be more about finding players that formerly were in the league rather than the unproven imports we get each season?

Reply #813265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If no crowds in Victoria there will be no NBL

Reply #813269 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus sees that we are truly farked. An he can't even blame Lemanis for this.

Reply #813276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unlike other sports, TV revenue would make very little for the NBL, most revenue would come from Ticket sales. Most teams would be making very little if any profit anyway, would be a hard sell to play to now crowds

Reply #813282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would a move to another city for a season be an option. Can a Canberra, Townsville, etc be able to be a host city for one season. Would think some sport fans would be able to get a couple thousand maybe to cover costs of move.

Reply #813284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I seem to recall Loeliger being reported as saying the NBL needs crowds. Not sure if you can read that as meaning no crowds => no NBL season?

Thinking about what will need to happen for the season to proceed, does anyone know if the NBL and clubs have COVID-19 safety plans drafted and whether any have been reviewed by the relevant state government agencies?

Also, does anyone know if clubs, players and coaches are adding COVID-19/pandemic/force majeure clauses into their contracts for the coming season(s)? Similarly, are they trying to get venues to agree to such clauses?

Things like those might affect how late the NBL and clubs could leave a decision about the season going ahead or not, and in what form.

Reply #813328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't put teams in other host cities as owners etc won't get the require revenue from those cities/venues as there is a reason those other cities don't have teams or second teams

No Crowds in Melbourne effectively puts a line through the NBL until such time as Melbourne can have crowds

Also the small issue of the NZ Breakers might be a major issue as well unless.

Reply #813331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much will NBL lose from betting rights if no season goes ahead? That is another element to include in the equation as to what should happen.

Reply #813339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

129 days to go until Kestleman's planned start date of ("on or around") December 3.

A lot can happen between then and now. Things might be okay again in Victoria and NSW, or they may not. 129 days ago, Victoria announced 17 new cases, 139 active cases and 6 people in hospital. Today Victoria announced 532 new cases, 6 new deaths, 4,542 active cases, 245 people in hospital and 44 people in ICUs. So a lot can change in 129 days. And they're talking about shutting down more industries and workplaces, not opening them up.

Even if things are peachy by December 3, I doubt we'll have NBL teams flying freely back and forth inside a "Tasman bubble". (Notice no-one's mentioned even the possibility of that bubble for at least 2 months - well before the current outbreaks.) Makes Breakers' involvement a big question mark (as per poster above), even if Victoria and NSW can get down to a handful of new cases per day, and stay there.

Reply #813343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would suggest players would have to agree to very little compensation for a season to go ahead, and still maybe not - assuming no crowds/minimal crowds

Reply #813345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Compensation for players for what reason?

Reply #813346 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yeah the SBC just off high street

Reply #813348 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

see if Community transmission cases start to drop off over the next couple of weeks, meaning their lockdowns have worked, or if things just continue to go to shit.

The lag time is about two weeks. Melbourne is on week three, so we should be well into lockdown-affected numbers by now, and case-per-day numbers are still climbing.
I was thinking that, based on the 14 days, but hoping I was wrong. Maybe due to people taking longer to get symptoms, or delaying getting tested?

If things continue, at some point those Melbourne teams will have to think seriously about getting the fark out of Dodge.

Reply #813358 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

If no crowds in Victoria there will be no NBL
I don't think that's a viable option, unless things go completely to shit.
OR, clubs can completely avoid expenses.

Otherwise, at some point, "some revenue" becomes better than "no revenue"

I don't know what the players contracts say, do they still get paid if no games? What about the staff?
How flexible are the venue contracts?

Besides, hypothetically, if the rest of Australia was fine, minimal restrictions, except for people coming in and out of Victoria, the league could easily go ahead with 7 teams.

And as discussed, I think travel restrictions are potentially more of a problem.

Reply #813361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe the options of staying in Australia to play that your contract money will be paid where as overseas they have lots of out clauses. It a very interesting situation that could end up in a legal shit fight. Let's just hope it’s all systems go even without imports if need be.

Reply #813363 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I was thinking that, based on the 14 days, but hoping I was wrong. Maybe due to people taking longer to get symptoms, or delaying getting tested?
If anything I would suggest testing is casting a much wider net now, so the lag time should be smaller rather than bigger.

A lot can happen between then and now. Things might be okay again in Victoria and NSW, or they may not. 129 days ago, Victoria announced 17 new cases, 139 active cases and 6 people in hospital. Today Victoria announced 532 new cases, 6 new deaths, 4,542 active cases, 245 people in hospital and 44 people in ICUs. So a lot can change in 129 days. And they're talking about shutting down more industries and workplaces, not opening them up.
Things can get worse quickly, but they can't get better quickly.

Reply #813364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find some interesting contingencies being planned

Reply #813389 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

I'm from Melbourne, I can not see any crowds by December 3rd how where going. There has been cases were people are getting tested but the tests are not working. If a test is wrong then people are spreading the virus shopping, working and so on.

I personally want Victoria to go to stage 4 to make sure we control this virus before Christmas. It will effect the economy but at least it may be under control. It’s a waiting game for this Vaccine....

Reply #813395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic is crap and NSW too. How is it possible to continue. Qld dodgy.

Reply #813408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stage 4 wouldn't make a difference, because the workplaces it's spreading in aged care and food processing would remain open anyway.

Reply #813414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No NBL for season 20/21

PLANDEMIC GOT EVERYBODY GOING NUTS.

4,500,000 PEOPLE HAVE DIED FROM STARVATION IN 2020 AND THE CURE IS FOOD, YET THE WORLD IS SHUT OVER THE FLU.

Reply #813480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is starvation a contagious disease? If I sit next to you will I catch it from you? COVID is not the flu.

Reply #813485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^idiot

Reply #813486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

486 yeah you probably are

Reply #813487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Aussie should want stage 4 and really the plan needs to be heading the other way.

The money runs out for everyone soon and the government are throwing everything at propping it up which can't last forever.

Taxes will massively be increased to try and pay for this which means less jobs and investment which hurts far more than COVID ever will.

The jobless rate and number of loan default will sky rocket in the next 6 months and people under 30 and employees/jobless in the 50-60 bracket will suffer the most.

Reply #813490 | Report this post

Mobbin  
Years ago

Prior to the season start date, everyone can come over to WA for two weeks quarantine in WA. Play a couple months of games at Bendat, Challenge or Perth Arena, stay at Joondalup Resort or Crown and enjoy the summer weather. Next couple months do it in SA (no idea if they have resorts or extra stadiums), then hopefully/if the east coast gets their sh!t together, have the back end the season over there or head over to NZ.

Reply #813494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO one will accept the Victorians.

Reply #813508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Classified as essential. Quarantine. Play December away from Victoria. (Start date is still 4 months away)

Reply #813511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Taxes will massively be increased to try and pay for this which means less jobs and investment which hurts far more than COVID ever will."

Actually if we start getting the large corporations and our wealthiest people to start paying their fair share of tax then it shouldn't impact the average citizen at all. Its not like the massive tax breaks we continue to give them lead to further investment and employment anyway.

Reply #813513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly.

Reply #813515 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Fingers cross it gets better but can not see games being played in Melbourne by December.

Reply #813519 | Report this post

Mobbin  
Years ago

#813508 Got Collingwobbles & Geelong in WA right now... and Hawthorn & Carlton swapping in next... AFL obviously have much bigger squads & support staff so 2 AFL teams is probably equal to house 4-5 NBL teams.
Sport distracts folks from life, all Govt's know that is essential, even more so now.

Reply #813522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

100% agree with you Mobbin, the afl, league on tv has been a god send. I'm even watching the Waratah league on the net, which has been surprisingly good and the nba, wnba back is fantastic.

Reply #813527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#480 you may want to check your source for your 4,500,000 deaths from Malnutrition. Channel 7 just put up the numbers for deaths world wide in 2020. COVID was 3rd behind diabetes and TB with 635,000 deaths with malnutrition well below on 235,000

Reply #813539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THE CURE IS FOOD!

Reply #813540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice rebuttal

Reply #813542 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Now vs a month ago....very different propositions for the NBL sadly.

Unfortunately the politics is getting into it.

Federal Government and media criticised Victoria for being too heavy handed, now they're criticising Victoria for being complacent.

State Government is criticised for hiring security firm to do security instead of the military, I cannot imagine "security guards will bang infected residents" was much of an anticipated risk.

If people are going to be that dumb in society, we won't get over the infection very quickly, if the Federal Government is going to play the game of politics then we're in trouble because that is just as dumb a thing to do when it comes to avoiding the spread.

We need the Federal Liberals to stop being numpties, and the general Public to stop trying to party and bang infected people.

Reply #813545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow some people are sad human beings.

Reply #813552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"State Government is criticised for hiring security firm to do security instead of the military, I cannot imagine "security guards will bang infected residents" was much of an anticipated risk."

They were told by their own experts in March they needed police in charge of quarantine.

Reply #813556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Victoria is in a mess because the state opposition and the RWNJ's in the media have been opposing every move that Andrews has made. No wonder they have so many people disregarding the emergency laws.

Reply #813558 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

KET I wonder who you vote for.

Please continue to ignore that it was one of the biggest stuff ups in Australian history by the Andrews Government which is having devastating effects. Don't let facts get in the way when you are making up a story.

"State Government is criticised for hiring security firm to do security instead of the military"

No they are being criticised for hiring incompetent people which you blatantly failed to mention.

" and the general Public to stop trying to party and bang infected people."

You mean the people the Andrews government hired

Reply #813561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"was one of the biggest stuff ups in Australian history"

Brunson I wonder who you vote for. The Hyperbole Party?

the hotel quarantine issues caused all small portion of the recent outbreak.
also, all states have been using local security firms to manage the quarantined people so why is it only Victoria that had an outbreak?

Reply #813562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET

Your post is 110% correct. I can still remember that liberal tosser say everyone is visiting there mothers on mother's day and victorians can’t. Open up was the call. Security companies are paid to do a job, they didn’t, hopefully they will be sued out of existence.

Reply #813564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The current crisis in nursing homes is far worse than any bungle of Andrews' yet Morrison was demanding they remained open in April. Aged care is a federal responsibility.

Reply #813565 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"Brunson I wonder who you vote for. The Hyperbole Party?"

Regardless if it was Liberal, Labor, Greens or Dad's army political party I would say the same thing.

"all states have been using local security firms to manage the quarantined people so why is it only Victoria that had an outbreak"

Because the rest of the states picked competent security firms.

Reply #813574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Victoria gave the contracts to security firms and then they subcontracted to make a profit. The firms that actually did the work were given no formal training etc

Reply #813576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Because the rest of the states picked competent security firms."

Its not that simple.

Reply #813577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the error is hotels from the Vic Gove caused all this and now we'll have no NBL as no crowds equal no NBL and we still haven't even addressed the NZ situation

Reply #813579 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It's hardly political to suggest there's hypocrisy in "The Victorian Government were too strict" followed by "The Victorian Government was complacent". If you're believing that line of argument, you're going to believe anything critical of the Victorian Government.

Realistically, you're then criticising those in Victorian Health advising.

In respect of the Federal Government and Aged Care - the Federal Government threatened the Aged Care sector with penalties if they didn't open up - against the advice the Aged Care providers. I was part of that call.

"No they are being criticised for hiring incompetent people which you blatantly failed to mention."

One could reasonably expect when hiring a Security firm that those things would not occur.

If we are in the business of criticising Governments for their hiring of Security firms, the Federal Government are no better, I was part of that litigation no more than a few years ago in the Manus Island Class Action.

Reply #813589 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The National Cabinet recommended ADF personnel manage quarantine, and offered ADF Personnel.

Other states ran with this recommendation.

Victoria said "No thanks, we'll use private security guards".

We know some of those guards were recruited via WhatsApp, paid $25 per hr as contractors, and received no training on COVID whatsoever.

In other words, Victoria could’ve had professional military personnel managing quarantine. Instead we ended up with lowly paid and untrained contractors. They probably drive Ubers on Fridays and do security on Saturday.

Victoria is now the only state with a major outbreak. All of Victoria’s cases could conceivably be linked to hotels (Chief Health Officer Sutton said this a few weeks ago).

Politics aside, if those are the facts, which they seem to be, then someone has to be held accountable for this. Absolutely appalling. Very important decisions in crisis management, and they effed it up monumentally.

Reply #813590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Other states ran with this recommendation.

no they didnt

Reply #813593 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[We know some of those guards were recruited via WhatsApp, paid $25 per hr as contractors, and received no training on COVID whatsoever].

I should add, we also know many of them weren't taking their roles seriously, or trying to stop the spread of COVID

It's also strongly rumoured (and I heard these whispers well before this was mentioned in the media, so I'm pretty confident it's true) that guards were sleeping with quarantined guests

Now, of course it's possible that military personnel would also fail to take COVID seriously. But, how likely is that? I know plenty of ADF and reserves people, and they're all professionals who take their duties seriously and know how to follow a chain of command.

Compared this to security guards- where companies are run for profit and contracts given to the lowest bidder, staff get their security licenses from Weetbix packets, get paid peanuts, and many had no COVID training.

Consider which group is likely to manage quarantine better.

Reply #813594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The current outbreak is not solely due to the hotel quarantine issues. Other outbreaks started elsewhere at the same time because Victorian people did not follow government guidelines.

Reply #813595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry, I was wrong

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jul/20/nearly-all-coronavirus-cases-now-in-victoria-may-have-link-to-hotel-quarantine-inquiry-told

Reply #813615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sorry you are not allowed on hoops. You admitted you were wrong.

Reply #813616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mccarron and Acuil have covid.

Reply #813624 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #813627 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:44 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754