Jack Toft
Years ago

Perth v SE Melbourne Jan 24

Finally.....Perf get to play a game this season. The Red Army must be foaming at the mouth in excitement of a home game, but then again we normally see the Red Army foaming at the mouth even pre-Covid.

The Creeksters travel to the Republic of Westralia after going 1 and 1 against the mighty Sixers. Lethal, off the bench, Secret weapon Adnam, should find himself well guarded with his defender sticking to him like a wetsuit. I wonder if he packed his board? Let's hope the SEM boys weren’t looking at sleeping in a tent in Freo.

Just like Trump, Wildcats hate losing. It’ll take more than a dump of fake points to beat them tonight though. The Cats with a deep roster and with the return of local town favourite and 2020 MVP Bryce Cotton, would have to go in hot, hot favourites to open up their account tonight with a stirring win. Their roster is so deep that former Sixers captain and champion tweeter Kevin White might just be warming the bench.

It’ll take a lot to turn this state blue, and even President McGowan could be there to unfurl the 10th flag*

This is Perth’s game to lose. My kiss of death goes to them.

Topic #48013 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth are a crap team.
SEM by 14.

Reply #829294 | Report this post

Bullet  
Years ago

So only 7,000 allowed in tonight ? It's a shame we can’t see packed stadiums yet.

I think SEM have a chance of an ambush here, hopefully they can out score the wildcats

Perth don’t look very good on paper this year, bottom 3 from me, they will need someone like Luke Travis to be a lot better this year.

Reply #829296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how's Cotton's citizenship going?

Reply #829297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perf $1.54 SEM $2.50

Reply #829298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack you got the kings tip right:)

Are 7000 going to be able to get the refs on side enough? Perth doesn't look as strong and as shown by others teams, it takes a game or two to get the rust out. This is SEM chance for the ambush but never right off Perth even if rusty. Perth by 1.

Reply #829299 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Even though this Wildcats team looks pretty average on paper I expect them to sign some good import big later in the season and should be too much for SEM in their fortress over there.

Reply #829300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm prepared for an entertaining thread.
If Perf lose the streak is over, roster is crap etc.

If they win it will be only because of home cooking.

Reply #829301 | Report this post

Jazr  
Years ago

Some interesting matchups and initial questions.The frontlines Wetzell/Creek/Moore v Travers/Blanchfield/Mooney look to be in favour of SEM but as always Cotton will be hard to stop. On the other side who will step up as the Wildcats new "stopper" with no Damien Martin? Can Norton run the point for a whole season? Wildcats by 8.

Reply #829305 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Perth will be rusty. So won't be surprised if SEM get the win. Will just be great to be back in the arena again.

No news on Cottons citizenship but they could be keeping it quiet, I guess we'll find out Tuesday.

Reply #829310 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

The Perth roster has regressed significantly.

Even SEM by getting rid of Benson has improved from last year.

We have seen from the Tokoto, Cooke Jnr season that not even Cotton can get it done without help.

Reply #829312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tokoto was effective, he was a tool who his teammates weren't crash hot on, but to imply he was the reason they didn’t win shows you’re uneducated.

Reply #829313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Travers was good in preseason. Will be interesting to see how he goes.
Keeping him as a DP could be a good move Perth.

The poster who keeps asking about Cotton's citizenship is just trolling.

Perth will make necessary roster changes

Reply #829315 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Finally the day the NBL season starts. Man it has been a long wait.

Our roster is pretty bad so I'm at peace with the idea of the streak finishing (while also hoping Jack B is not remotely at peace with that idea),
but just happy to be able to go and watch basketball again.

Reply #829317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tokoto was far from effective on the offensive end of the court.

Reply #829318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wasn't brought in to be a shooter.

Reply #829326 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Finally the day the NBL season starts. Man it has been a long wait.

Exactly. What a wait but the Maint Event is finally here!

Reply #829337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The more things change the more they stay the same, Gleeson got them humming as usual. Cotton stays healthy, they are in finals

Reply #829342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching Kevin White bring the ball up against pressure is cringe worthy. Defensively he can't keep anyone in front of him. What exactly does he do?

Reply #829347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha humming? Yum yeah nah

Reply #829348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Te Rangi and stephens should be let go immediately.

Reply #829349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mooneys a monster on the glass.

Reply #829350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sack Mooney!

Reply #829351 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

OMG this is shit.
Hopefully they have blown out the quarantine cobwebs now, and the 2nd half will be better.

Reply #829352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mooney is a beast!! And playing out of position so far

Reply #829353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats obviously need more scoring punch. Clint and Blanch are just too streaky

Reply #829354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how is Cotton's citizenship going?

Reply #829355 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Don't think there was ever any doubt Mooney would rebound and score, need more time (and better opponents) to tell how he is defensively, though.

To me SEM look like the weakest side this year based on what we've seen so far

Reply #829356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mooney been very good. Gibson keeping SEM in this. Kevin White, oh boy, who understands that pick up. Steindl not getting any time. Blanchfield 3 fouls.

Reply #829357 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

SEM woeful on both ends that Q, lucky to be down 3.

Reply #829360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Travers has got great size and skill, his shot will come. Will be on the Boomers.

Reply #829361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I noticed that the crowd don't need to wear masks in Perth. This was also the case in cairns last night. I wonder how much longer they’ll be mandated in Adelaide.

Reply #829362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how's Cotton's citizenship going

Reply #829363 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Wildcats have some of the best Bench players.

Unfortunately they're all starting.

Reply #829364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lololololol
#classicdazz

Reply #829365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEM look to be the weakest side and have been horrendous with their turnovers but still lead the game?

SOS perth wildcats

Reply #829366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I said it once I'll say it again .. Perth has the bigs to compete they need another guard that can score, Cotton can’t do it by himself all season if they want to make Finals

Reply #829367 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

A little home cooking down the stretch.

Reply #829368 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

Whistle happy NBL

Reply #829369 | Report this post

Knowall  
Years ago

Have the Refs decided who's going to win?

Reply #829370 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The way SEM defend they need to score 90+, sub-80 won't get it done.

Reply #829371 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Gliddon and Sykes bringing it home for Perth.

Reply #829372 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

A win is a win but SEM are awful on par with the Sixers. We need a better barometer.

Reply #829373 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

If Sykes had played even 25% better I think SEM win that game, which is maybe not a great sign for Perth @ home. We'll see.

Reply #829375 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Trev and Perth doing what they do so well at home, controlling the game in the dying minutes, bringing his best 5 on to close out the game.

Great to see.

But let's be honest, SEM are going to do battle for the spoon, possibly favourites at this point.

Reply #829376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still think we need to upgrade our roster but a good start none the less.

The Cotton/Blanchfield/Steindl/Wagstaff/Mooney lineup looked really good. Rebounding and shooting.

Need to find a backup PG and an upgrade for Jervis (who played pretty good today).

Reply #829377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah wildcats made wildcats plays down the stretch but SEM are a very average side

Reply #829378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sykes, to much dribble, what's wrong with these import point guards. Again at crucial times home cooking prevails. Mitchell doing a good job with SEM, there side relies on to few. Gleeson is a wizard and lost weight.
Perth will play finals. Enjoyable game.

Reply #829379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wetzell shot the three?

Reply #829380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What if steindl played 25% better? Thought both teams had the whistle go there way at different times. Grabbing a holding Bryce is just silly though, even if you got away with it all game. Perth will be plucky, there is plenty of room for growth in that squad, and hopefully an import to boot

Reply #829381 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Annoying to have to watch it on mute because Dickicide was mouth8ng off again.

Reply #829382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any home cooking down the stretch cancels out a few of the baffling decisions that favoured SEM earlier in the game.

Reply #829383 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Home cooking, Covid, Perf fans, homicide...good to see that Hoops hasn't changed between Cats games.

Good win by the cats

Reply #829385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld makes a good comment strangely enough.
SEM are similar to Adelaide in quality.
Give Perth a better opponent to see how they stack up.

Reply #829390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes they probably will play better opponents soon but as this was round 1 you will need to wait.

Reply #829392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simin who ever might be the first coach sacked this season.

Reply #829394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was the story with Cotton shooting just two free throws when it appeared he was fouled shooting a three? No replays at the arena so maybe it was clearly a two but the Wildcats bench all jumped up expecting a third shot.

Reply #829396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitchell actually coached very well, his team is well short on quality

Reply #829397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone have a link to the press conferences?

Mooney is a gem. Great player. Huge game in his first game.

Reply #829399 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Cats have never done a 3-peat, and it would have been nice, but I'm not too fussed.
But if this ends the streak,I will be mightily disappointed.

It seems Perth has just had a few things not go their way (and I know; boo hoo) but the lack of contingency planning is curious.

Perth, as I see it, has two major problems:

The lack of backcourt scoring threat is allowing teams to double-team Cotton. Somebody, or preferably multiple somebodies need to step up. Norton, Steindl, and Blanch need to improve on their 25-30% shooting.

The other is that Mooney can't lead that rag-tag frontcourt against some of the bigger combos in the league.

As it stands, and obviously this is really early, I'd say we need to plug one of those holes to be confident of playoffs, and both to challenge for that 3-peat.

The Good news is that there is still hope:

Travers is going to improve every game, and whilst I see him more as an old-school 3 than a 4, his length and agility will trouble many.
Mooney has been brilliant so far, and as he adapts to the league and the refs, he could be awesome.

There is potential upside in that backcourt. We know what Steindl can do when his confidence is up, Norton may thrive with the new responsibility, and Blanchfield & White could improve as the season progresses.

And who knows what new recruits might be in the pipeline.
Imagine if we could sign an aussie 4 or 5, like Kay, Reath, Maker, or Bolden. Then bring in an import like Terrico or Devondrick.

Reply #829400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth have a weak bench with Lo Buluk, White and Bairstow unable to contribute much.
Jervis wasn't too bad.
Steindl will have better games.

Reply #829409 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

1 Melbourne
2 NZ
3 Perth
4 Hawks
5 Sydney
6 Cairns
7 SEM
8 Brisbane
9 Adelaide

At this very early going

Reply #829410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So how's Cotton's citizenship going" No one seems to want to address this issue?

Reply #829412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe because they know you're a trolling moron.
Don't stress expect a new import for Perth at some stage of season.

Reply #829413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bairstow actually played with a heap of energy and was part of a unit that turned momentum back in Perth favour. Yes, Perth probably needs another import, but writing them off is still early. Bryce is that good and he makes everyone around him that much better.

Reply #829415 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Cotton played 38 mins.

I don't think that is sustainable.

The win was helped by a couple of calls like the missed goal tend, and touchy fouls at the end. However SEM turned the ball over way too much.

Reply #829417 | Report this post

Knowall  
Years ago

"What was the story with Cotton shooting just two free throws when it appeared he was fouled shooting a three? No replays at the arena so maybe it was clearly a two but the Wildcats bench all jumped up expecting a third shot."
It was called after shot so got the two because they were in bonus. Not saying I agree but that's why

Reply #829423 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

38 minutes not sustainable .... lol
It's a 40 minute game and Cotton is fit as fuck. He has played similar minutes ever since he’s been in the NBL.

Reply #829433 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

Mooney looked good in his debut but whether it's more bench depth or another scorer, it would good for Perth to get a bit deeper as cotton playing 38 a game isn’t ideal.

While I don’t think any imports are gonna get cut anytime soon, if I’m the Phoenix (and it’s still early days) I’d be getting worried about moore

Reply #829441 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Mooney was great, played with energy and enthusiasm and it showed in his numbers.

Ben Moore whilst high energy, appears to be low IQ for SE Melbourne.

TeRangi should be playing his ass off if he wants to stay in the league.

Reply #829442 | Report this post

Years ago

It was Perth's first match and we are comparing them to teams who have an extra game or two up their belt. They will need some time. Think Bullets will get better too.

Reply #829445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You get move on te Rangi and Stephens and pickup Broekhoff right now.

Reply #829446 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Mooney was great and is going to basically be a walking double double each night, prob monster the younger skinnier bigs like Wetzel, but might struggle against the real big boys. He's got high IQ too. The missed 3 into his own oreb into the dunk was quick thinking.

The bigger takeaway for me was that Cotton looked like a different beast out there, looked much more like a true PG than just a SG. He's never been selfish, but he looked like a pass first PG rather than our #1 scorer even though he rattled down 27pts of his own. If we see 6+ assists from him a night we're always going to be close, just depends if his teammates let him down or not. Blanchfield could'be had 30 last night, but missed a lot of easy buckets.

Reply #829454 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I liked what I seen from Norton, when he is agressively trying to get to the basket then he is a much better player, however I'm a little concerned about him not shooting the open 3 as he turned that down a couple of times and I'm hoping teams don't play off him like they did with Damo.

Wani played more the 3 this game, I've said previously that this is a massive season for him as if he's only going to get spot minutes then you'd imagine he won't be retained for next season.

White, I'm not hating on the decision to sign him but looked clueless and as if he caught the ire of Trev, I hope it's a case of still learning the system otherwise he is as others have suggested.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Blanchfield always plays his best basketball during the first season at a new club (then after getting our expectations higher plateaus and you wonder what happened). He should be very helpful this season and I looks forward to seeing his combinations with other players grow and develop.

I liked what I seen from Jarvis and Bairstow, Moore wasn't very effective for SEM but he's an import and if our back up bigs can curb the effectiveness of imports then that will raise their confidence.

Well done to Travers being a DP starter, he did some good things and I'm glad that he's starting and keep him hungry, if we need to make changes to our starting 5 then he looks the obvious change but Blanchfield or Norton would be the others in danger of losing their starting spots if we need to mix it up.

I liked how active Sykes looked out there but he simply was moving around everywhere without doing a great deal. Moore seemed like he was playing out of position far more than Mooney. I'd love to see more Kendall Stephens, he could be a very helpful piece to an NBL squad but Simon Mitchell doesn't want to play him.

For those saying Adelaide and SEM are the worst teams in the league, whilst I agree with you, how can you let Brisbane off that easily, they look shot already and I'm not certain that Hodgson will make a great difference.

Reply #829504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Maybe because they know you're a trolling moron.
Don't stress expect a new import for Perth at some stage of season."

Not stressing at all and no it's not trolling. All pre season we have heard all this rhetoric about Cotton naturalising early this year. Well tomorrow is probably meant to be that day and everyone has forgotten it seems.
Perfectly legitimate question.

Reply #829510 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I don't want to be mean to individual players (I'd hate to think they ever read the stuff we say about them), and it goes without saying that the worst player in the NBL is ten times better than I ever was.
We had a lot of guys who looked ok and promising, and I'd be happy to have any of them on the bench. Just not ALL of them!

"I liked what I seen from Norton, when he is agressively trying to get to the basket "

I hate that. He persistently tries to drive where there is no opening, and instead of dishing off, he takes 0% shots and turns the ball over. His defence is also poor. They need to get Damo in as a defensive coach.
Hopefully he is just rusty, because so far he has been playing low IQ ball.

Reply #829511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kendal Stephens went to the same defence school that I went to, none, I'm certain Mitchell would like to use him a lot more but he’s a liability. It’s a similar problem in cairns, yes you can be a good scorer but you need to at least kerb your opponent from scoring more.

Reply #829514 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Travers going from DP last year to starter this year is quite impressive, especially at the Wildcats.

I'll be honest I don't know anything about him or how high his ceiling is, but it is great to see young talent like Giddey, King, Wigness and Travers getting a chance to show what they can do.

Reply #829515 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Travers going from DP last year to starter this year
He's still a DP.

Reply #829528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I also think that at times, Norton drives where there is no opportunity, and forces shots. He basically explores until he is trapped. Better to take the jump shot.

Reply #829571 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

My point regarding Norton is that it's good to see him atleast trying to get to the ring, as last season he seemed completely ineffective at the offensive end and obviously being a point guard you'd want him setting up a team mate for a better look.

Norton scored what 9 early points and if he starts then we can do worse than that. I know opposition will scout this and I'm sure Trev will have counters in place for that and hopefully Norton can get more assists per game.

As for his defence, I certainly expected him to become an elite defender when he was at Townsville and was very excited for his signing as a young veteran with a ceiling that he may have hit earlier than expected but I'll continue to back him in

Reply #829574 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I agree that we need Norton to stay aggressive offensively. I can live with a couple of dodgy attempts. What we can't do is get stagnant and end up with Cotton trying to bail us out over & over.
As an individual he is far from being "the man" but from a team POV he had to keep pushing in that game because not much else was happening. Hopefully as they get more comfortable Mooney & Travers will pick up more of that load, and Steindl has more good games than bad. But I was happy with Norton's game 1.
Though clearly Norton's most important directive should be staying out of foul trouble. Those Kevin White minutes were scary as hell.

Reply #829582 | Report this post

todd  
Years ago

SE looked bad. Crap coach with every doesn't understand to recruit a team that has team chemistry.

Perth have lost a lot of talent but the chemistry is still there.

Wright and Norton is very underwhelming.

Wildcats need an import possible an combo guard or a tall point to be top 4.

Blanchfield looked good in the system but the Wildcats are lacking fire power.

Reply #829604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have another drink Todd

Reply #829619 | Report this post

todd  
Years ago

no problem

Reply #829628 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:30 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754