Saidi Arabia

Iran
Kazakstan
Syria
Bahrain

Topic #49171 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just have to beat Taipei twice to advance to next stage.

Reply #869466 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

Tough I wanted the Philippines to be grouped with Australia and China.

Reply #869467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Africa

Cape Verde
Mali
Uganda
Nigeria

Sudan
Cameroon
Tunisia
Rwanda

Ivory Coast
Guinea
Central African republic
Angola

Kenya
Senegal
Egypt
Congo

Reply #869468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look to be going home early...

India
Taipei
Indonesia
Bahrain

Reply #869469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does one then qualify for the World Cup?

Reply #869470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also does the FIBA Asia Cup have any bearings for the World Cup?

Reply #869471 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

My concern is who can we actually bring to these games? NBL season will be in action.

Reply #869472 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@470

http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2023/how-to-qualify

http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2023/competition-system

@481

The Asia Cup is more of a pre-requisite for the World Cup qualifiers. The do or die match between Guam and Taiwan a few days ago was important because if Guam won, they would have been able to be part of the WC qualifiers. If you noticed, only the 16 teams that qualified for the Asia Cup have a chance to qualify for the World Cup. 

Regional cups are also important for the rankings.

http://www.fiba.basketball/documents/rankingmen/howitworks

Victories in the Asia Cup are worth more than victories in a WC qualifier.  

Reply #869473 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Group A and Be seem far stronger than C and D.

6 teams plus Japan and Phillipines will get through. This also acts as intial qualifying for the next Asia cup so there's a lot going on

Reply #869476 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

This draw makes no sense. Why is Australia versing teams from their Asian zone.

We seem to always avoid the Middle Eastern teams. Is it just me or is this draw rigged?

I know Fiba Asia is run by the Middle East countries.

Reply #869478 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Asia is always split into east and west zones due to travel distance.

Reply #869479 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Oh, I got my draws mixed up lol. I had a closer look and it is the World Cup qualifies not the Asia Cup draw. The Asia Cup draw will be announced soon.

Sucks Fiba postponed the men's tournament to July 2022 when the woman are playing in a safe bubble in Jordan. It’s the woman’s 3rd Asia Cup. Crazy the men have only played one Asia Cup in 2017.

Reply #869480 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

So top 8 qualify?

Tier 0: automatic qualification

Philippines
Japan

Tier 1

Australia
New Zealand

Then 4 more:

Iran
Korea
China?
Lebanon?
Jordan?

Being in one of the toughest groups makes it more interesting. I think our players need that test in Asia. This should be like try-outs for fringe Boomers, especially young players. Get to know the system. Hopefully we have the same coach for these games and the major tournaments. It makes the transition easier to the A-team for these fringe players, to understand the system and establish a role.

Any NBLers that expect to make the next World Cup or Olympics need to commit and impress. In the previous qualifiers it was Creek, Kay, Goulding and Sobey who made it to a major tournament. All were impressive in the qualifiers. The other major standout for me was McCarron, a bit unlucky to miss out.

As for matchups, Japan vs China. Interesting. Japan and Australia have a chance to make it tougher again for China to qualify, although there is a generous number of spots in Asia so you really need to suck to not qualify.

It's only disappointing Australia didn't get matched up with Philippines. Maybe we will face them in the next round.

Reply #869487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope Jeremy Lin plays for Taiwan. He obtained the passport last year

Reply #869488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the 8 going to WC will be

Phillipines
Japan
Australia
China
Nz
Korea
Iran
Kazakhstan

Reply #869489 | Report this post

JB  
Years ago

I'm not sure how fringe boomers in the NBL would go about impressing in the qualifiers when there is a good chance they won’t be able to play. Some games are during the season, which is an issue in normal times. With quarantine requirements, participation of NBL players seems a stretch...

Reply #869490 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@rjd

If we follow the same format for the 2019 WC qualifiers, we won't be able to face teams in Group B. 

In the second round, Group A will be mixed with Group C while Group B will be mixed with Group D. 

@489

Kazakhstan is actually regressing and their best players are not getting any younger. Jordan and Lebanon, to me, are the contenders for the last spot.

Jordan has a lot of great players, especially Al-Dwairi, also known as Ahmet Düveriolu, one of the main bigs in Fenerbache! Coach Obradovich even started the guy in the finals in 2016/2017.

Lebanon and Jordan also looked great in their ACQ games. Both teams were undefeated in their groups, Jordan also swept Kazakhstan in their group. 

Reply #869499 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I worry NBL players wont be able to play as well, which may put us in the unenviable position of being the best basketball country in the region by 1000 miles yet not qualifying. We wont be able to trot out COE kids against China and Japan and expect to win easy. As far as the NBL is concerned though, I hope they see that one of their primary goals is to develop Australian basketball and therefore they make the concessions necessary. If they start thinking 'too much' like the NBA we might be in trouble. I love the NBL but if it needs to be postppned to guarantee a world cup berth (and therefore possible Olympic qualification on that world cup standing) then the NBL needs to allow it.

Reply #869516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nbl DPs maybe plus best of nbl1

Reply #869517 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think it would be an insult to the competition to assume we could beat China and Japan with NBL DPs and NBL1 players. China and Japan aren't world powers but they're not glorified social teams either.

Reply #869518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We only had to beat Taipei twice

Reply #869520 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

If we don't have NBL players that changes the dynamic substantially.

Surely we will have NBL players competing

Reply #869524 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Above;

"I think it would be an insult to the competition to assume we could beat China and Japan with NBL DPs and NBL1 players. China and Japan aren't world powers but they're not glorified social teams either."
Neither are our NBL DP's and the best of the NBL1 players.

Anyway, if we are worried, why not just take the best Aussie in each team or one Aussie starter from each team. Every club suffers equally and the Boomer's pride is maintained. There's your main rotation and it hardly matters who fills the roster out. Kick it to me.

Reply #869541 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

I think a dedicated Team A Taiwan with a naturalized player can potentially upset a rebuilding China, Team B Japan, or even become favorites/competitive against a D/C team from Australia. You can call me crazy, but they did beat Guam. Although Guam was not in their best form, I considered them a team B of Guam, but they did still have Tai Wesley and Galloway. 

I was one of the many people who counted them out against Guam, but their performances changed my view. 

Also, it is important to acknowledge that the Taiwan lineup we saw against Guam was not their most capable lineup. 

Taiwan has a problem with their pro league situation right now. Imagine if there were 3 other NBLs in Australia. That is the situation Taiwan is having right now, which is hindering their ability to field the best lineup. 

The one we recently saw was probably like a B team from Taiwan as well, and like Guam, they did not have all of their key players. 

Yes, they did get outclassed by Japan and China in the ACQ, but their roster at that time was not as good as the roster they fielded against Guam. In the ACQ, it was more like their C team, which was why I also counted them out against Guam because I thought they were sending the same roster for their final games.

Reply #869565 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Agreed, I thought Guam were going to send out their main roster but thanks to travel restrictions some players couldn't make the game like Ross who plays for West Adelaide in NBL1 Central.

Taiwan needs to address their basketball league. Just have your division 1 Men’s NBL league. I know Taiwan wouldn’t have the size but their strongest team they could put out would be decent. They need to get replacement player for Quincy Davis. Decent American who plays in Taiwan.

Reply #869586 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@Giocontigers

It is nice for you to remember Quincy, hehe.

Taiwan will always be remembered for their legendary upset against China in 2013 in the quarterfinals. That China team was the Gold favorites at that time, especially with a younger Yi, European Coach and etc. I never could have imagined them pulling it off and BTW, the game was not a close match but a huge victory for Taiwan (18 Pts).

Reply #869589 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I'd like to see an all-NBL squad, and if we have that then I am extremely confident we win our group. If not.. well... it's hard to say. I think these games are too important to mess around with.

Reply #869613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australian Nbl/asia depth for qualifiers over 2 years

Delly-Mccarron-Norton-Mcdowell-white-adnam-Dufelmeier
Goulding-Sobey-Dech-Vasljevic-gliddon-Mcdaniel-Glover
Creek-Broekhoff-Blanchfield-drmic-Noi-Krebs-Travers
Kay-Cooks-White-Maker-Mcveigh-Peatling
Humphries-Reath-Magnay-Froling-Hunter-Pineau

Reply #869614 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

If they fielded that pool of talent they wouldn't have an issue against a strong lineup of any of the Asian sides.

Reply #869630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeremy Lin obtained a Taiwanese passport last year. Reports are he is allowed to play for Taiwan. Worried yet?

Reply #869672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope not worried.

Reply #869674 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

I'm sure the NBL will have a break. NBL fixtures are always silly because they have rounds which I disagree on. Rounds are stupid for basketball.

I know past NBL seasons they had bye rounds so then all NBL players could represent their countries. New Zealand counts too guys.

Reply #869676 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

I just hope that all teams will bring out their best lineups in November. If they are not able to, they should at least do their best to form the most competitive team that they can offer.

We don't want to see teams lose because of their ability to put out a roster. We all deserve the right to see a team win because of their quality, rather than because of a weaker/depleted opponent.

Guam vs Taiwan is a prime example of this, where both teams have many constraints and are robbing them and all of us of seeing a clear winner. 

I don't mind upsets. In fact, I love upsets, especially when both teams are at their strongest. For example, plenty of my countrymen celebrated the near upset of Serbia in the OQT, but personally, as much as I was happy with the performance, it is very easy to say that oh Jokic was not there or oh Bjelica did not play, etc. 

Compare that to the Czechs beating Canada and Greece. Now that is something that all basketball fans can truly appreciate and enjoy.

Reply #869718 | Report this post

Travis 2nd Best  
Years ago

Including Australia (3); the average FIBA rank is 53.

Removing Australia, it would be, 56.

Removing Australia, Iran (22), New Zealand (25), China (28), Korea (29),

the 11 remaining teams have an average FIBA rank of 67.

Should be some quality hoops action.

Reply #869739 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Standard in Asia is low. Only good teams are the powerhouse countries like China, Japan, Iran, Phillipines. Then adding the two Oceania teams does make Fiba Asia a better standard.

When I looked through the past Asia Cup results, China has dominated since they joined. Phillipines were good early days but they did have a few allow the way. Feel bad for Guam they won't be allowed to participate in the World Cup qualifiers.

Qatar use tI be good but they stuffed up in their group. If Qatar was in the other group with Bahrain and India. Qatar would of qualified?

Reply #869763 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Hiccups*

Reply #869764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The standard is going up every year though and will,continue.

Reply #869766 | Report this post

Travis 2nd Best  
Years ago

think you mis-read my sarcasm.

Besides Australia, and once upon a time briefly, New Zealand - none of these countries matter on the world stage, evidenced by their current FIBA rank, and their long history of being irrelevant in the money end of international play.

You can't call Japan (35) or Philippines (31) "powerhouses" lol.

You don't see the Olympics adding 24 lanes in the 100 metre finals, specifically reserved for Asians, Caucasians, all the nations that are genetically pre-disposed to suck at sprint events...

I get FIBA's trying to out-do soccer at being a "world game" but it really isn't.

I'm sure true hoops fans would prefer to see more access for nations within the Americas, more spots for the nations that can actually hoop like the Euros, and fostering more growth in African countries - where soccer is King, and the teams actually have the potential to stop sucking eventually.

What even is the point of aiming to "promote' non suckyness from the lower tier Asian countries? We all know Qatar, Indonesia, Bahrain won't ever improve from where they are. The mid-tier ones like Japan and Philippines are enthusiastic - but you can't win games based on that.

Reply #869772 | Report this post

Travis 2nd Best  
Years ago

Further, in soccer, due to the nature of the game, you can, very occassionally see legitimate upsets/Cinderella stories in tournament play.

Additionally, one sided soccer matches, aren't as gruesome to watch as 110-35 basketball games.

Reply #869775 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

I agree, asian needs to do heaps of work. I just wish the NBA could become international league and not just be an American League with their boring culture. London would be a great place for a NBA franchise after covid. Basketball needs to open up but there's too much work and money to make it possible.

At least in football it doesn’t cost much for players to play. All you need is one ball with players. Be great if Australia could have a NBA team but the travel is way too far. If Australia was close like Canada then you could easily see Australia have a team. Aussie’s would be stronger then Canada.

Reply #869777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ like seriously is this the dumbest post ever

Reply #869779 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

@Giacontigers

Early knockoff and already on the beers?

There are some of us that don't actually particularly like the style of play that the NBA offers and also, don't want to become even further Americanised.

Reply #869781 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

re: "none of these countries matter on the world stage, evidenced by their current FIBA rank, and their long history of being irrelevant in the money end of international play", referring to countries other than Aust and NZ.

Doesn't that pretty well describe Aust and NZ 30 years ago?

Reply #869793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did you just call Philippines a powerhouse lol? Their professional league is below NBL1 standard.

Reply #869794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Philippines a powerhouse in Basketball? That must be some good meth you are smoking.

Reply #869796 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@Travis 2nd Best

I don't blame you for thinking this way. In fact, it is perfectly sensible. Australia is way better and if you guys are thinking of gold medals, we Asians are just thinking of being a respectable team on the world stage or potentially upsetting teams.

I don't know why you reacted that way, but it is okay. People are free to have their own opinions and I think there is nothing wrong with supporting your respective teams.

Personally I would enjoy watching the WC Asian Qualifiers games and yes I am exposed to the Euroleague, NBA and etc but as a Asian I genuinely enjoy watching FIBA asia games.

For example, Japan's women's team is very good, and recently they are the silver medalists in the Olympics.

I am not saying that one day Asia will be in the Men's Final or etc, but I never thought that there would be a Rui Hachimura either. I am just saying that teams can improve. Hopefully they will all improve enough to be a respectable world team.

I don't have any huge expectations for any Asian team, and BTW, there are all kinds of hoops fans. I think differently but that doesn't make me any less of a hoop fan than you or anybody else. 

Reply #869813 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

In response to Travis, I am not sure what you're proposing, that FIBA ignores Asian basketball because it is inferior?

You have to look at the Olympics and World Cup and ask what is the purpose of these games? Is it just to assert who the best basketball nations are and put them in order, or is it also to share and grow the game across the planet?

Exposing lesser teams to higher competition always improves the standard of basketball in the lesser nations. Always. World basketball has exploded since the Dream Team gave us all a pantsing some 30 years ago. That is an opportunity the Asian teams deserve as much as we did, even if they're "genetically predisposed to suck"

If the 2 or 3 better Asian teams making it means the 7th or 8th best European side doesn't, and if it means that there are a few easy beats in the world cup, then so be it. We cannot claim to be a world game and exclude portions of the world that we think aren't where we'd like them to be.

As for their ability to improve, do they really need to improve to justify their representation in a fair and balanced world tournament? I'll admit, I am surprised China is not yet any good after all the money they've invested and the hundreds of millions who play the game. But their take on basketball has every right to compete for a shot at being represented.

Reply #869826 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:34 am, Sat 11 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754