KET
Two years ago

NBL 22 and 23 Docos

I've been watching these documentaries/behind the scenes that the NBL have been releasing and I’ve been pleasantly surprised - they’re well made and great story lines.

The league have put a concerted effort into pushing a lot more content and building the story lines lately.

Anyone else have thoughts on the docos?

Love to see them do this each year to be honest

Topic #50455 | Report this topic

Yup  
Two years ago

Best marketing outside the NBA...

Thanks Larry!

Reply #900121 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Link?

Reply #900149 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

NBL 22 Ep 1:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y5Ccvcmhv4Y

NBL 23 Ep 1:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2aV1_dd5f5g

All Eps 1-6 of NBL 22 are on YouTube, NBL website and Kayo.

Ep 1 of NBL 23 was released yesterday. Next ep might be released next Friday?

Reply #900153 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

The rivalry episode 1 was awesome.

Pleasantly surprised is an apt description. Very impressed by the quality, behind the scenes footage and storytelling

Reply #900184 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

It pays to recognize and acknowledge the gains made in this area under Larry before I submit any criticism. It is under him that the league has discovered an angle, or even realized it had a story, and storylines to tell. For almost a decade, we used to get a poorly produced product for TV with little else added to it. It can now be argued that the NBL has the best production outside of the NBA.

As for the Next Level series, I've enjoyed it. I think the episodes consistently lay out the stories well but when it comes to the actual basketball action it leaves a bit to be desired. What you see is a shot, a shot, a dunk, fans, shot, coach, shot, locker room celebration, in that order, again and again. The in-game footage doesnt add a lot of context to just "how" that shot became available and there is no evidence of how the play evolved. I also don't think see the point of showing every locker room celebration. They're all essentially the same. Players puffing up confected rivalries with little more depth than, "yeah, theyre across town so we don't like them" doesn't really bode well for the product either. The latter half of the episodes need more depth and variation to be of sustained interest.

As for Unrivalled, I have nothing negative to say from episode one. It hits its mark and is hopefully evidence that the league is starting to get a winning formula on their documentaries.

Reply #900272 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Can add NBL24 to the title now I guess.

Get a glimpse into what NBL24 has to offer in the first episode of this season's documentary series: WE GOT NEXT.
This season, EVERY MOMENT MATTERS.

Get a glimpse into what NBL24 has to offer in the first episode of this season's documentary series: WE GOT NEXT.

This episode introduces the Next Stars class of NBL24.

Eight emerging talents across eight teams, looking to push their case to be the best in the NBL, and eventually, the best in the world.

This is a fascinating insight into what drives the next generation of stars. For these young guns, every moment matters.

Catch 'We Got Next: Inside NBL24' on Friday night at 8pm AEST, available on ESPN via Kayo and Foxtel.

The full episode will be posted on 10 play, NBL.com.au and the NBL App soon.

Preview Tweet

Reply #926379 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:17 am, Tue 30 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754