Zodiac
Two years ago

Sydney Kings Owner Paul Smith vs Everyone

Uwe Boll sorry Paul Smith the big mouth owner of the Sydney Kings has now taken swipes at the 36ers and Hawks.

On the 36ers:

"They (Adelaide) are talking themselves up so hard," Smith said on Big Sports Breakfast.

“I'm glad we’ve seen them recover a bit from their trip to the States, because I’d have hated to have played them and kicked their [butts], and them say they’re jetlagged or whatever. It’s going to be great.

“I can assure you we’re scared,” he added sarcastically. “We’re frightened, I can’t sleep - I’m that nervous.”

On the Hawks:

“I think what they’ve got is self-inflicted wounds at the moment,” Smith said.

“They got absolutely towelled down on their home court.

“They need to go into a room full of mirrors and have a big, hard look at themselves – that’s what I’d say.”

https://nbl.com.au/news/kings-owner-challenges-36ers

The funny thing is with some of the stuff this muppet has said over the years he actually makes his business partner Andrew Bogut appear measured and circumspect.

Topic #50518 | Report this topic

Master Chief  
Two years ago

I think Adelaide should stop talking too though. But I think that of any team. When you're silent it speaks.

Is he the sort of person who would have shut up long ago if people stopped reacting to him and not give him the the credit he deserves? I know nothing about him.

Reply #901799 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

He knows what he's doing, just trying to cause a stir on purpose.

Reply #901800 | Report this post

Old Mate  
Two years ago

This bloke is a card carrying, class A fuckwit but hey, we're talking about him which is obviously what this tool wants.

Reply #901802 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

He wasn't trying to cause a stir when he said what he did about the Wildcats championship in 2020, it was nothing other than sour grapes pure and simple.

As a Sixers fan I don't care too much about what he said about them they deserve it after that humiliating loss to the JJ's but to say what he said about the Hawks a team that is clearly struggling to stay afloat financially with a roster that reflects that is absolutely classless. Especially given what the Kings would've spent on their roster last season.

Reply #901803 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

The shock factor and any entertainment value from Smith's comments are gone now

If he wants to actually create a stir, he needs to wait longer before saying something new that's obviously stirring the pot

Reply #901804 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

I guess it's good to have characters and villains

36ers have talked themselves up a lot - which is fine too - but they also deserve people having a crack at them for it

Reply #901806 | Report this post

Bored  
Two years ago

He's a knob, but he is a knob that is good at what he does.

Reply #901810 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Yawn, he is boring now after peaking in 2020.

Reply #901812 | Report this post

Gazee  
Two years ago

Even bogut facepalmed the comments of smith on twitter

Reply #901813 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

He's just trying to get more punters to the game, it’s a very American thing. Yes he’s a knob as previously stated but it’s all about publicity. There are players out there that tell everyone how good they are and no one says boo. He has been excellent for the kings.

Reply #901814 | Report this post

JoelMVP  
Two years ago

He's correct about Adelaide. Sorry if it doesn’t suit the agenda of 'Paul smith is a jerk’, which he is, but he’s spot on here. That opening game display was putrid and they weren’t much better against the Hawks. Facts can be hurtful, but Adelaide need to check themselves.

Reply #901820 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

"He's just trying to get more punters to the game, it's a very American thing. Yes he’s a knob as previously stated but it’s all about publicity. There are players out there that tell everyone how good they are and no one says boo. He has been excellent for the kings."

Yep, 100%. Folks are talking about it, even if it's to call him a dickhead, it's doing exactly what he expects it to do. His comments made it on various sports media here in Sydney also, which is generally very rare outside of 15 seconds of NBL result recaps throughout the regular season.

Reply #901833 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I think some might be giving Smith a little too much credit. Sure this current rant might've been made to drum up interest but the massive months long dummy spit about the Wildcats beating the Kings in the 2020 GF was not.

Reply #901835 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

No it wasn't, but most have moved on from then I'd say.

Reply #901838 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Paul Smith is a very Sydney kind of guy

Clearly has an arrogant streak

And a bit of an inferiority complex from being part of Australia's biggest city and biggest commercial hub, but nonetheless an under performer on the sporting stage with fickle, small fanbases and a glaring lack of success at the highest echelons of sport

But I also hear a bit of showmanship there too

Either way, I don't really mind, if he's getting the sport attention that's a good thing. The risk he runs though, as I said earlier, is becoming irrelevant by his constant stream of trolling. You gotta get the balance right and I reckon he's gone past the "too much" line

Reply #901839 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

No it wasn't, but most have moved on from then I'd say.

Not me I'm not a Wildcats fan but I remember all that carry on clearly in it's sheer audacity. It was his players that wanted to cut that series short not the Wildcats players and then once Perth won to then spend months whining and complaining and saying their title should have an asterisk next to it was appalling and unedifying behaviour from a team owner.

Paul Smith is a very Sydney kind of guy

Didn't he unsuccessfully try to buy the Hawks before he bought the Kings?

Reply #901841 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

I've seen that mentioned here before, but not sure it's actually true.

Reply #901842 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

Despite holding onto Andrew Gaze for 3 years, Smith I believe is a shrewd operator.

Stirring things up to generate interest is what he does and as long as people understand that's all it is we can all move on.

He's had a crack at many things, even the Wildcats indigenous round jersey once, people have become dulled to such outbursts so he has to up the ante.

The crack at Adelaide is just noise, other than someone saying championship or bust, I have not heard the team proclaiming themselves as NBL/A champions.

I do hope though that the Sixers thrash the Kings more than ever.

Reply #901843 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

He did want the hawks, was knocked back. Another bad mistake by hawks. He's very passionate about the kings, to him it’s all hype and marketing.

Reply #901844 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Smith never owned the kings until gaze, left. He bought the franchise after Gazes three seasons.

Reply #901848 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Did some googling

Yes Smith only purchased the Kings in 2019

He's like Kestleman in making an unimaginable amount of cash from a previous business- $260m from selling his business in 2016, much like LK and Slepoy made $203m from Dodo a few years earlier

Basketball is indebted to guys like them, super wealthy dudes who want to invest in fun and interesting things

He lives in Minnamurra, near Kiama south of Wollongong

Reply #901851 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

The thing is though, we need them to stick around for years on end

LK has done that, let's hope Smith does likewise

Not like the previous Hawks guy who bailed after 2 years I think soon after Goorjian left?

Reply #901852 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Smart words LV.

Smith is exactly the type of owner you want, canny businessman with deep pockets. He was actually a rugby league man and I believe turned to basketball after seeing a hawks game.
LK roped the American businessman to buy the hawks with the Australian guy to buy in I believe, problem is he left after two seasons with only bringing his guys who all left when he walked. Again I'm hearing that the US businessman is not happy at what it was costing him, and the wages have been slashed.
LK gets a lot right but the Ball and that local guy who is now main sponsor would’ve been a better option in hindsight.

Reply #901860 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Reluctantly admit he is good for the league.

Easy to act arrogantly that we are are the best in the land when you have very deep pockets as Smith does.

Gives the league publicity and people through the door for Kings games. Kings used to be underdogs and were the violet crumbles and wanted them to win.

Not now he is playing the us against the world.

Reply #901927 | Report this post

Uncle Dre  
Two years ago

He's spot n about the 6ers. Kings are winners / grinders

Reply #902006 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two years ago

Enjoyed the 36ers walking towards smith after the game and giving him some feedback lol

Reply #902092 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

36ers had "Road Warriors" post pre-prepared surely

Reply #902098 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Will "the Smith spell" become the NBL's version of the Kennett Curse?

Reply #902107 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:27 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754