Reader
Two years ago

Goulding retracts comments about opponent

Melbourne United star Chris Goulding has withdrawn an explosive allegation he made against a Cairns player during United's 81-77 loss to the Taipans on Thursday night.

Late in the third quarter of the clash, a visibly filthy Goulding confronted referee Vaughan Mayberry after he was handed a rare technical foul.

During a heated exchange with Mayberry right in front of fans sitting courtside, Goulding could be heard on the TV broadcast yelling: "He shoved a finger up my a***."

It’s unclear which Cairns player Goulding was referring to.

In a statement issued to News Corp, Melbourne United said it was aware of an incident that occurred during the game against the Taipans and Goulding withdrew the allegation.

“The comments I made during the game last night were in the heat of the moment and just reactionary,” the 33-year-old sharpshooter said.

“I had just been given a technical (foul), so I was obviously frustrated and I apologise.”“We have a big game this weekend against the Kings, and winning that is the only thing I’m focused on.”

From: https://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/melbourne-uniteds-chris-goulding-claims-nbl-rival-put-finger-up-my-a/news-story/cad479519bc0b94bc1051d30a879c0d2

Topic #50539 | Report this topic

Gazee  
Two years ago

I'm sorry so you basically accused a player of sexual assault which was false because you where pissed off you just got a tech , wow imagine if this was another way around , I’m sorry but a sanction should be in order here

Reply #902362 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

"It's unclear which Cairns player Goulding was referring to."

Does anyone know who?

Reply #902363 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

I was at the game and it was probably Mirko Đerić since Goulding and Đerić have some bad history.

Plus Mayberry can't stand any Victorian teams. Been to many nbl games over the years and always makes biased calls.

Reply #902364 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

I was at the game and it was probably Mirko Đerić since Goulding and Đerić have some bad history.

Thanks.

Plus Mayberry can't stand any Victorian teams. Been to many nbl games over the years and always makes biased calls.

Mayberry should have been dropped way back in 2005 after the infamous Taipans-Sixers game where he not only called an after-the-buzzer shot valid (which ended up being the "game winner") but tried afterwards to make amends by farcically misapplying forfeit rules. Such a clusterfuck of epic proportions, in terms of both officiating and administratively, with no consequences for his incompetence whatsoever. #neverforget

Then Taipans fans had to repeatedly watch him preside over their games due to the league's zoning policy in place at the time to save on travel costs. Yuck.

Since there is no upcoming talent interested in vying for senior referee positions because the incentives just aren't there he's still at it by default in 2022. Vomit.

Reply #902368 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

My read was that it did happen, just that Chris didn't want to follow through with a formal complaint for whatever reason. *shrug*

Reply #902370 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Makes sense.

Reply #902372 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Joe blakes two finger sting special.

Reply #902373 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Deric slapped him on the ass. Nothing in it

Reply #902376 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Deric, another glorified checker, wouldn't surprise me at all.

Reply #902380 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

This shouldn't be news, CG makes a hyperbolic comment in the heat of the moment. Not uncommon for players to say stupid hyperbolic things.

Move on, next

Reply #902385 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Two years ago

Never forget Gary Ervin "bruised" Chris' testicles which led to this

Reply #902387 | Report this post

Kev  
Two years ago

Whoever says Vaughan Mayberry favours non Victorian teams is a dead set drop kick. Chris Goulding is the way he is because of Vaughan Mayberry. Played the I never saw any headbutts with Melb then magically could only see the Sobey one at the same time. USF on Drimic on Goulding without any contact at all. Petrie is lucky in that game than Vaughan wasn't on it, otherwise Petrie would have been tossed and then Joey following after losing his shit.

Reply #902389 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Two years ago

Goulding has always had a bit of dickness in him, it's just part of his game, I remember even when he was at Wildcats as a DP Vlahov liked that about him.

Reply #902392 | Report this post

Gazee  
Two years ago

Think we are still brushing aside the fact Goulding accused a player of sexual assault and then backed down saying it didn't happen it was just heat of the moment talk because he got a tech , imagine if it was a dif player from a dif team this would have been handled very differently , there’s not place for false accusations of that type at all

Reply #902487 | Report this post

Gazee  
Two years ago

Adding to the above if it was true then player who did it needs to be sanctioned as well can't have either sexual assault or false sexual assault accusations in our game or in society in general

Reply #902488 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:27 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754