- Call made
- Coach challenges
- Replays show call was clearly incorrect
- Call is upheld anyway

Happens every time. What's the point?

Topic #50561 | Report this topic

KET  
Two years ago

They should explain it NFL style because I'd have loved to know why yesterdays challenge was unsuccessful by CJ

Reply #903018 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

It's pointless. The reviewer looks at it by the absolute letter of the rulebook, which is not how it's officiated on the floor.

So something that isn't a foul possession after possession gets called a foul, coach challenges, Scott Butler looks at it and says there was slight contact that's a foul. It an almost pointless process.

Reply #903020 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

Yeah its a bit of a joke, there should be some consideration as to whether the contact would normally warrant a foul being called, and not because of a slight touch the call is upheld. E.g Allan Williams block challenge that had the most incidental contact with the opposing player - should of been overturned and made a block. We want bigs getting blocks.

Replay centre should be able to also look at the play leading up to the call and issue if necessary a reversal. When Wagstaff drove to the basket against Creek on 4 fouls , he was counted twice as fouling wagstaff before the charge was called. Should be looking at the whole play and not just the end of the play. If creek already fouled Wagstaff twice on the drive then how is it not that his positioning was benefited on the charge. he use two fouls to get himself in front of Wagstaff.

Reply #903021 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

The only thing I can think about the leg kickout foul is maybe there was slight contact before the leg kick from memory. But the official should have to say he called the foul because of that, not the obvious contact on the leg kick. The review shouldn't be able to hedge their bets by saying, yeah that flop call was incorrect, but we'll pick another foul on something else.
Opening a can of worms, but in that case they could say the original call was incorrect, but upon review it showed another foul. Then the coach can keep their challenge, but a foul could still be called.
And I never thought I'd say it but I felt bad for DJ. The one time he takes a proper charge when Williams hit him in the chest and was an absolute charge, couldn't be challenged. But his other charge he got may have been payback because he could arguably been moving slightly to right.

Reply #903023 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

How about the coaches learn to know when to challenge and when to not.

DV will basically not use it unless he needs its at the end of the game.
Forde is very good.
Mitchell and Buford it's a L straight away.

Reply #903031 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Certainly coaches need to be smart with challenges given they have one. But that is not what this discussion is about.

Reply #903043 | Report this post

JT  
Two years ago

Out of bounds calls that are close or hard to see are about the only useful thing for challenges.

Reply #903061 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

Given how rare it is for the challenge to be successful, which would mean that the refs got something wrong AND they admit it, I wonder if it was ever meant to succeed.

Cynical me thinks it was put in by the NBL to try to take away some of the often-justified criticism from coaches, so that the NBL could be seen to be doing something, but was set up to fail.

Reply #904763 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:32 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754