Shaggy
Last year

The Curious Case of Benjamin Simmons

I hate to say it but Ben has become somewhat of basket-case and they are saying he's un-tradeable now. Philly must be really thanking their lucky stars they managed to trade him for some value in Harden.

The only thing Simmons really had going for his offensive game was his ability to drive to the basket and finish with a dunk/layup. Now he is so obviously going to drive to the paint and dish it off to the perimeter that all teams are just waiting for it. Was actually hoping that he may finally agree to playing with the Boomers this coming world champs but he'd be robbing a worthy player of a spot.

I really feel sorry for Brett Brown who lost his job at Philly because he had no way to deal with this guy. And clearly he has not gotten any better in those "growing" years.

Although really looking forward to this (US) Summer's YouTube videos of him sinking 3's in the gym and saying how he's changed.....

Topic #50840 | Report this topic

Dunkman  
Last year

Brett Brown was the bloke that picked him at number one, family friend, no point feeling sorry for him. This is the first time Simmons doesn't have his own coach coaching him.

Reply #910526 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Not the first time, Doc Rivers at Philly too and then the Nets old coach Steve Nash as well who was hand picked bu Durant.

Reply #910531 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

I just don't think he is as good as most thought he would be, and I'm not convinced he wants to be a professional basketballer.

Reply #910551 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

I want him as far away from the Boomers as possible.

Reply #910566 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

It absolutely shows the power of anxiety and whatever else in the modern world. Here's a monstrous salary and an inability to accomplish what are simple things in the field of professional basketball: attempt shots, overcome free throw yips and so on. I've said it before, but I find it all quite fascinating. And presumably this is with every sort of elite support you can line up such as sports psychs, etc.

I'd be interested to see how it played out in an alternate universe where he never got the big deal, but his rookie contract was year-by-year and performance-based. Right now, he gets his $30-40m/year regardless and can fail out of the league down the track and be set up for life. What he's facing is clearly stronger than the limited incentives that exist now.

Wonder if they've looked at running him in the G-League or if advice has been that this would damage his self-belief as it translates to the court.

Reply #910571 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:52 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754