Scout
Last year

Justin Schueller is Brisbane's new coach, according to Olgun Uluc

https://twitter.com/OlgunUluc/status/1623046870380707840

Topic #50891 | Report this topic

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Not a big fan of schueller but good luck.

Reply #911487 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

At least the 4th Vickerman United assistant to get a HC role. Nicely done

Reply #911489 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

Quite the GAMBLE for Brisbane

Reply #911491 | Report this post

DreamShake  
Last year

"Vanderjagt was among the three names on the Bullets' final shortlist, sources said, along with current Perth Wildcats assistant and one-time NBL Coach of the Year, Mike Kelly."

No mention of Pero Cameron? As recently as a few days ago in seemed like he was in contention. Interesting they've gone the long term assistane route after the JD episode. Seems pre-mature to pull the trigger this soon after the regular season, although it does at least provide some time to build for a team where almost all players are off contract.

Reply #911494 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Typically underwhelming (budget?) signing by Brisbane. Wish him well, but don't think this is the dude they'll need to take the reins tightly and steer the club towards a crumb of success.

Reply #911495 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Last year

Interesting signing if true. I wonder what becomes of Vanderjagt and Pero Cameron? Best of luck to him.

Reply #911496 | Report this post

Deputy  
Last year

Jamie Petty assistant coach?????

Reply #911499 | Report this post

TaipansTragic  
Last year

Interesting signing. Would've liked to see what Mike Kelly could’ve done with a budget bigger than what he had in Cairns. Reckon Perlman would’ve been unlucky to miss out too.

Reply #911500 | Report this post

DreamShake  
Last year

Agree re Pearlman, Downer seems to constantly be overlooked despite his CV as well, assistant national coach, long time NBL assistant, HC in the NZNBL.

Reply #911502 | Report this post

GordonG  
Last year

Confirmed by the NBL website

Reply #911507 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

"Vanderjagt was among the three names on the Bullets' final shortlist, sources said, along with current Perth Wildcats assistant and one-time NBL Coach of the Year, Mike Kelly."

That's it? Really?

Bullets are doomed, feels like they're not even trying.

Reply #911510 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Good luck to him,

I hope he's successful, he’s from Vickerman school, he’ll preach defence, they will need a clean out as not to many defenders there. It didn’t work well for Duncan when he tried. Sobey should be happy as he’ll be the main offensive weapon, in the Goulding mould. Baynes as well should play well under this system.

I think it’s a good signing.

Reply #911517 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Mike Kelly would've been a better option than this guy with his previous HC experience giving the job to a rookie coach is always a big gamble and not indicative of a team expecting to have success in the near future.

Plus I'm sure Kelly would've cost more than this guy with that previous HC experience and likely being settled now over in Perth. Typical Bullets hire IMO.

Reply #911525 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Kelly has had one good year as a senior coach, his assistant coaching at Perth hasn't been great.

Reply #911533 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Irrelevant he has HC experience this guy doesn't and likely got the job because he was probably a good bit cheaper than Kelly would've been.

Reply #911535 | Report this post

Rod  
Last year

HAHA how would you know his assistant coaching hasnt been great hahaha gimme a break

Reply #911536 | Report this post

Mark B  
Last year

He would want to be a damn sight better than his stint at Geelong,that wasn't anything flash

Reply #911544 | Report this post

Deputy  
Last year

Does this mean he will need to give up playing Keith in the AAMI ads?

Reply #911546 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Well if his assistant coaching has been great, the head coaches from last season and this season aren't listening, they’ve missed out finals last season and scraped into a play in this season. Last season he was in charge right up to the preseason tournament as head coach only just arrived in country. His last season in Cairns with good imports was a spoon job, plus he was sacked while under contract. None of that screams employ me.

Reply #911547 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

It all depends on how you look at it. You could just as easily say Perth have had a winning record the past two years despite the coaches being handed a team with little interior presence.

Trying to judge assistant coaches from outside an organisation is nearly impossible. It's only those on the inside who really know what they contribute.

Reply #911550 | Report this post

Rod  
Last year

Assessing an assistant coach from outside an organisation is impossible. If you are judging the 2hrs a week you see on TV, then youre missing out on the 42hrs behind closed doors an asst coach puts in!

Reply #911560 | Report this post

Rod  
Last year

probably 72hrs give or take actually

Reply #911561 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Not to mention that assistant coach and head coach are completely different jobs.

Reply #911570 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Assessing an assistant coach from outside an organisation is impossible.

Exactly. No one rated Roth when he was an assistant.

Reply #911573 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Thought they would have gone with Henare.

Reply #911574 | Report this post

Statman84  
Last year

@Mark B - you beat me to it

Reply #911575 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Does this mean he will need to give up playing Keith in the AAMI ads?

Hehehe.

There's plenty of time during the long NBL offseason for that.

Reply #911577 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

D Mac has joined Brisbane, I'm liking the look of how’s it starting up there.

Reply #912801 | Report this post

GordonG  
Last year

Peter Crawford and Paul Henare out...

The Brisbane Bullets organisation would like to thank Peter Crawford for his hard work and commitment to the Club over the last two seasons.
The Club also thanks Pero Cameron for his services at the Club in NBL23.
We wish them both all the best in their respective coaching journey's

Reply #912804 | Report this post

GordonG  
Last year

^^ Obviously should say Pero Cameron (hey, it's early!)

Reply #912805 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Reply #912807 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Pero Vasiljevic says hi.

Reply #912808 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

Pero to Adelaide

Reply #912809 | Report this post

RobT  
Last year

Dunkman, your post, "D Mac has joined Brisbane, I'm liking the look of how's it starting up there." made me think that D Mac has been an assist coach for a long time. Does he want more?

He is still one of my favourite, all-time PGs. More than anything else, I remember his passing skills.

But is he HC material?

Reply #912819 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

He certainly wasn't ready to be a HC when he replaced Anstey at United.

Reply #912820 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last year

Sounds like DMac has been good with player development more than team head coaching - has worked with Giddey and Daniels and a number of United guys have improved the past few years.

Schueller has been aus u17 head coach the last 5 years so presuming they're trying to hope that helps to get young Aussies who will then work with DMac.

Reply #912821 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Some people are just not made for lead rolls, but are very good in back ground rolls, D Mac comes across as more off behind the scenes man. Assistant coaches are very valuable but just don't have the same pressure.

Reply #912824 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

As I said above, "assistant coach" and "head coach" are actually vastly different roles. It's not about whether D-Mac wants "more", but whether he wants "different".

Reply #912840 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:58 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754