Last year

Kevin Durant traded to Phoenix Suns

Nets blown up.

What a trade deadline!

Topic #50902 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Last year

Woj:

The Suns are sending Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder, four first-round picks, a 2028 pick swap for Durant and TJ Warren, sources tell ESPN. Durant wanted move and new owner Mat Ishbia pushed to get deal done tonight.
Nets gets unprotected picks in 2023, 2025, 2027 and 2029, source tells ESPN.

Reply #911655 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last year

CP3, Durant, Booker, Ayton all on max deals if im not mistaken?

Reply #911660 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Late push to win the championship this year, on borrowed time with cp3 getting old and Booker supposably wanting to move.

Reply #911661 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Booker, Ayton and Paul are all contracted to 24/25, as is Durant. If CP3 stays remotely useful, they're in a good position.

I wonder how much getting otherwise stuck with Simmons was a factor for Durant. He might've had hopes earlier on, but not much recently would've been convincing for him. He's just about a $40m deadweight right now.

Reply #911663 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Damn.

No secret, but now watch the Nets move off Ben to the highest bidder that's dumb enough to take him on.

Reply #911664 | Report this post

JB  
Last year

Nobody is offering anything of value for Ben Simmons. The Nets will have to include some sweeteners (draft picks, good / promising players) if they want to find a team to take him on.

Reply #911665 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

What is the issue in Brooklyn now?

I think it's a shame because Vaughn is doing a great job turning this team around.

Reply #911667 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

The Suns aren't messing around they obviously want pay back on the 36ers next pre-season!

I don't really follow it anymore but you would have to think the Suns are red hot favourites for the tile now with Durant, Booker, Ayton and CP3.

Isaac, pretty sure Durant's deal expires in 2026 doesn't it?

Reply #911668 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

What is the issue in Brooklyn now?

Not so much an issue I think but once they traded Kyrie they probably knew they weren't going to be title contenders and that Durant would likely ask for a trade again in the off-season.

The Suns new owner just took over the team a day or two ago and said he will do what it takes to make the Suns a legit contender. He offered the Nets 4 x FR picks and some players the Nets probably thought they weren't going to get a better than that for Durant in the off-season and having traded a boat load of their FR picks to the Rockets in the Harden trade so good a time as any to pull the trigger.

Reply #911671 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Zodiac, that's interesting & thanks.

I think they were title contenders though?

Vaughan was doing a great job and added some defensive steel to their game.

I really think they would have been up there.

I also think they will surprise with their acquisitions and Vaughan as coach.

Simmons must be feeling a bit nervous now.

Does he actually want to be a basketballer? I am not convinced...

Reply #911682 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

The nets are weird now. They're almost right back to the season directly before KD and Kyrie showed up. A bunch of good players but no star. A promising young big in the middle and Dinwiddie at PG.

I'd genuinely be surprised if they don't ship a few guys off now for whatever they can get. Finney-Smith might get them a first rounder from a team that is hoping to get OG.

Reply #911698 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Isaac, pretty sure Durant's deal expires in 2026 doesn't it?
Yes, I just meant that that group were all together contracted until at least that season. Some have the extra year.

Ben is a basketballer and would see himself as one and want to be one. I just don't think he can beat his anxiety about it all enough for that to matter at this level and price.

Nets don't have any terrifying teams under them in the standings, so you'd think they can hold on for the post-season. And they have some extra bits to move around. Bit of redundancy at SG-PF?

Reply #911722 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

This is Chris Paul's best chance yet to win a title

But I still hope Boston wins it. I can't stand Durant and his incessant trade requests and constantly joining other superstars.

Reply #911738 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

*Professional basketballer

Reply #911741 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Nets at 5th spot will absolutely free-call down the ladder these last 20 or so games

Reply #911742 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Last year

Can Paul stay healthy is the only question. Wall and Westbrook are likely buyouts, Wall could be a very good insurance plan in Phoenix. Westbrook still too much of a question mark for the Sun's to probably look at. Wouldn't mind him going to the Heat actually and going full villain.

Nets really are a basket case. After the long fallout of the Celtics trade they finally start progress on a young feel good team to then blow it up after going for KD and Kyrie. Now are maybe in an even worse place. And based on that team you can't see Simmons being showcased to get anything back.

Looking forward to the Sun's/Mavs next game and that rivalry.

Reply #911743 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Nets have some young talent and a gazillion picks. Durant would've wanted out

Suns with serious chance of winning this year or next year.

Win win trade

Reply #911747 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Highly unlikely Westbrook ends up at the Suns as all the talk was if he got traded to the Nets for Kyrie he would be quickly traded to another team as Durant wouldn't want him there.

Reply #911748 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

Nets don't have that many picks. They got the Suns picks, but they don't own many of their own from previous trades, which means there's no point tanking. This is their step towards rebuilding for sure, but not owning your own picks means you're not necessarily selling everything.

Reply #911750 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Last year

Would imagine Sun's picks won't be that high, as well as the protected, I think, Philadelphia one. Then Houston get there's plus swaps later when you would think Rockets would be a lot better than Nets. So nothing in it for Brooklyn to blow it up and have a fire sale.
And saw that Nets passed on a deal where they could have gotten Bam, sent Simmons to Utah and Mitchell to Heat. Bit of an oops there!

Will be huge to see where all the buyouts go, especially the guards.

Reply #911751 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Now are maybe in an even worse place.
Their roster doesn't look that bad for the medium term. The pre-Durant roster considered "plucky" had what, Dinwiddie, LeVert, Russell, Harris, Allen. No Allen, DLo or LeVert, but got Bridges, DFS, Claxton, Curry, Johnson, Thomas on the up. Lacking picks in the short term, but gained a few to work with. Some defensive pieces and a decent coach should make something of them.

Reply #911752 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

Yeah its gonna be interesting to see what they're like the rest of the season.

Lots of good players, but now nobody great. Simmons, Dinwiddie, Johnson, Bridges, Claxton, Thomas, Curry, O'Neal, DFS could all be starters on good teams. Then you've got a couple of young guys like Sharpe and vets like Harris and Mills who could/should be rotation players. I'm probably forgetting someone too.

Reply #911754 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

They clearly already have a decent coach, but apologies if that is what you meant anyway, Isaac.

Reply #911773 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Ultimately an inconsistent strategy from the Nets

Should've got as many picks as possible for Kyrie. They traded for Dinwiddie etc for Kyrie, but then 4 draft picks for KD.

Now they're in no-mans land. Moderate talent and moderate picks.

The KD deal was a decent deal for them once they'd already offloaded Kyrie. But the bigger issue is the lack of consistent strategy across both deals.

Reply #911775 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

And yeah I know Bridges is no slouch. But still- if you were going the rebuilding draft route, do it consistently across both trades.

Reply #911776 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

MC, yes, that's what I meant. Good foundation, in theory.

LV, I think with Kyrie they had to take in players as a last chance to convince Durant to stay on. Then, given Durant was pretty fixated on Phoenix, that might've limited what they could ask for. Kinda hedged their bets in getting more decent talent and picks to trade or use down the track.

Reply #911782 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Simmons only saw 14 minutes today on a team full of new players.

Firstly, is he being nursed because of injury?

If not, hardly a vote of confidence by your coach if you can't even see increased role or minutes in a transformed team as an existing member.

Getting Dinwiddie didn't help Ben at all though.

Reply #911925 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:54 am, Tue 30 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754