Australian Boomers Training Players:
Rocco Zikarsky
Alex Condon
Ben Henshall

Coaches
Dean Vickerman, Head Coach
Jamie Pearlman, Robbie McKinlay – Assistant Coaches
BA press release:
Basketball Australia (BA) today announced the team of 12 players for the FIBA Basketball World Cup Asian Qualifiers to be held at the State Basketball Centre next week in Melbourne.

Tokyo 2020 Olympic bronze medallists Nathan Sobey and Nick Kay will reunite for the first time since their historic place on the podium in Japan, while Isaac Humphries returns to the team following his last appearance in 2019.

The youngest member of the team, 19-year-old Centre of Excellence graduate, Alex Toohey, is ready to suit up in the green and gold alongside Boomer debutants Mason Peatling and Nick Marshall.

Mitch McCarron, Mitch Norton, Daniel Grida, Todd Blanchfield and Kyle Adnam will all come into the team following their impressive NBL seasons.

Emerging talents Rocco Zikarsky, Alex Condon and Ben Henshall from the Centre of Excellence will join the team as training players.

Jason Smith, former Boomers Captain and Director, Senior National Teams, knows the importance of giving young athletes experience training alongside some of Australia's best basketball talent.

"These young athletes have been identified as potential Boomers of the future, we want to immerse them in our culture and give them access to our most experienced players. Developing our next generation of players is key to the ongoing success of our national teams," said Smith.

Head Coach, Dean Vickerman, is pleased with the balance of experience in the team.

“We have a lot of seasoned campaigners with McCarron, Sobey, Vague and Kay. We have a great group of talented guys coming out of the NBL and this is a great step for them,” said Vickerman.

Nick Kay has returned from his duties with Shimane Susanoo Magic in the Japanese B League and is looking forward to playing at home.

“I’m super excited about the opportunity to put on the green and gold at home. We have a great group of players and I’m just ready to get out there and play,” said Kay.

The Boomers will head to Melbourne to commence training on Sunday.

Topic #50919 | Report this topic

hoopie  
Last year

I agree with the comments in the other thread - given the choice between beating up other teams or blooding youth and making the games closer, then I'm all for blooding at least 2 promising players every tournament.

Reply #912285 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Mitch McCarron, Mitch Norton, Daniel Grida, Todd Blanchfield and Kyle Adnam will all come into the team following their impressive NBL seasons

Not certain supporters of their clubs would think they were impressive.

Reply #912288 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

I dont at all believe in blooding players during the Olympics and World Cup. But for games like this, you could send the under 16 Tasmanian state team and be even odds of winning both games. It's positive that they're putting the kids through the training camp. But I think it would be more valuable to see what Rocco especially could do against grown men.

Reply #912292 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last year

No Mitch Creek?

Reply #912327 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Boti touches on the Mitch Creek thing in this article - http://www.botinagy.com/blog/ba-up-the-creek-with-secret-doctrine/?fbclid=IwAR0vS4Mgy7jfpLzcCQkyVPSMG8rUBvWgtpwme7blX67vriPpl2Chh3zgd6c

Basically he's being omitted due to the scandals. But all I want is for BA to have a consistent narrative. If this series is about putting the best team on the floor to win the games, Mitch Creek should be there. If this series is not about that, then why didn't they take Rocco Zikarsky?

Regardless, theyre sending a trashfire team that will be good enough to get the W, but will continue Basketball Australia's tradition of rewarding mediocrity, and will give even more basketball nobodies a "Boomers" cap for the Liam Santamarias of the world to revere and overhype.

Reply #912335 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

What's with your obsession with Zikarsky?

Reply #912345 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

We dont have any other 7 foot kids with that much potential going around. It potentially fills a big glaring hole in our team and program

Reply #912364 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I get that but he's only 16.

Let him play and focus on U16/U18 for now and see what transpires.

Reply #912372 | Report this post

Cake  
Last year

I don't know about that, Perthworld. I don't see much argument for leaving a kid like Zikarsky playing against inferior competition just because of his age. If he struggles to contribute for the (Asia Cup) Boomers, that tells us something about how far away he might be. If he can be productive in that squad now, he and the program both benefit from his exposure. Any "next big thing" hype based on juniors performances is pretty meaningless, when you think about what we've seen with guys like Tamari Wigness, Mojave King, etc.

Reply #912423 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Disappointing Greg Hire didn't make the team, is he on BA’s black list?

Reply #912436 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

What a ridiculous question.

Everyone knows he is banned for life after losing the 3x3 gold medal game to frigging England.

Reply #912437 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

I don't want to sound arrogant but I can’t see us being pushed too hard tomorrow. Does Bahrain have any players we need to watch out for?

Reply #912761 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:49 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754