76ers
Last year

NBL Finals Series

GAME 1-Friday March 3rd 7.30PM AEDT

GAME 2-Sunday March 5th 4PM AEDT

GAME 3-Friday March 10th 7.30PM AEDT

GAME 4-Sunday March 12th 4PM AEDT (IF REQUIRED)

GAME 5-Wednesday March 15th 7.30PM AEDT (IF REQUIRED)

https://twitter.com/NBL/status/1627204565501345792/photo/1

Topic #50927 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Last year

Championship Series, not Finals Series.

The new terminology is ridiculous.

Reply #912593 | Report this post

WC95  
Last year

Any chance the 2 Sunday games will be on 10 Peach or will the NBL surprise us and not show them on FTA.

Turd of a TV contract this is.

Reply #912599 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

The NBL really missed a trick not having at least one of today's games on FTA, there was nothing else on TV today.

Reply #912601 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Isn't that why ESPN pays $$$?

Reply #912602 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

ESPN pays to get every game during the season. They shouldn't also get exclusivity in the playoffs.

Reply #912604 | Report this post

WC95  
Last year

I believe the deal was 2 FTA games on 10 Peach on Sundays including the finals (although apparently that's not necessarily the case) The FTA component is part of the overall contract. If that's not the case then why schedule games on Sunday when it's on FTA and not Saturday night when it's on ESPN otherwise.

Reply #912606 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

As I understand it the NBL never said playoff games would be on FTA which was a bone of contention on here at the time. The NBL obviously wanting to increase their profile have allowed some Sunday playoff games to be simulcast on 10 Peach like last weekend and some last season too, but not showing a game today was pretty ordinary.

I expect Game 2 of the Finals series will be simulcast on FTA like last season.

Reply #912607 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Last weekend wasn't the playoffs.

Reply #912608 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Don't be an idiot, who did the 36ers play last weekend then?

Reply #912609 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Only the two series from this weekend were playoffs. Nothing before that was playoffs. Sydney vs New Zealand is not playoffs.

It's an incredibly dumb system.

Reply #912610 | Report this post

WC95  
Last year

Irrespective of the terminology as to what is a playoff game, a play-in game, a finals series, a championship series - whatever you want to call it. Its the post season now and it's the business end where it all matters. Although apparently not enough to warrant a set-in-stone guarantee to show some of the series live on FTA.

Yeah I get it - $45 million is good money for the league. The post season has always sucked - either with shitty TV deals, or poor SF crowds or whatever. The NBL has not been able to nail this part of the season.

Reply #912611 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Only the two series from this weekend were playoffs. Nothing before that was playoffs.

This is wrong anyway unless you exclude last Sunday's Game 1 of the NZ v Tassie series on 10 Peach.

Reply #912613 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

I said the two series from this weekend, not the two games from this weekend.

Reply #912614 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

WC95,

I'm with you on the broader point but some playoff games have already been shown on 10 Peach i.e. the Play-In game between Perth and Cairns followed by Game 1 of the SF series between NZ and Tassie last Sunday and likely Game 2 of the GF series next Sunday which we got last season.

Reply #912615 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Yes koberulz you fucked up again trying to look like a smart arse.

Reply #912616 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

So what was on 10 Peach this morning? Even if the ESPN arrangement allows 10 to show the games, 10 could well have said no.

Reply #912617 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

So let me get this straight the fig leaf you're clinging to is that Game 1 of the NZ vs Tassie series was not a playoff game but Game 3 of the same series was?

You and I both know you fucked up trying to play your usual Hoops Pedant role and because you steadfastly refuse to ever admit you made a mistake, just like last week, you're going to sit there and try and claim this nonsense.

Assuming you're not feigning ignorance like you usually do, it's more likely the NBL gave both of today's games to ESPN exclusively as a sop to the big money they're paying per year as opposed to Ten who are likely paying nothing. I'm sure Ten would've preferred two live sports games today rather than run repeats of Mom when there was nothing much else on FTA today.

Reply #912619 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Championship Series, not Finals Series.

The new terminology is ridiculous.

I did bring this issue up when the format was first released by the league.

Scrapping the usage of "Grand Final" after forty plus years of usage is completely unnecessary.

Reply #912621 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

My post about what was on 10 Peach this morning was unrelated to this argument.

Game one of the NZ-Tassie series was part of the NZ-Tassie series, which was played this weekend, which is therefore one of "this weekend's series".

Reply #912622 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Confirmed Game 2 of the Finals will be on FTA (but not Game 4 if needed).

Game 2: Sunday 5 March
New Zealand Breakers v Sydney Kings, Spark Arena, 4:00pm AEDT
Live & free on ESPN via Kayo Freebies, 10 Peach & 10 play, live on SkySport (NZ)

https://nbl.com.au/news/kings-v-breakers-championship-series-set

Reply #912623 | Report this post

WC95  
Last year

Good point Zodiac re Ten. It's possible ESPN had exclusive rights to today's deciding games.

Whats frustrating is the complete lack of mentioning this from the NBL. This whole SF campaign hasn't been very well run and the NBL hasn't been viewed positively in my opinion. Think I might tune out from the GF series - or whatever it's called now. I dont think its worth following if there's no assurances of free coverage.

Reply #912626 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I know it's a dogs breakfast come playoff time just like last season was too. I saw on Twitter the NBL are advertising the GF series to be shown on ESPN & Kayo Freebies in their graphic with no mention whatsoever of 10 Peach. Obviously it's a plug to ESPN & Kayo who are paying for the rights but just sends mixed messages.

The NBL really need to sort themselves out with this constant trying to walk both sides of the street stuff.

Reply #912627 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Most uninteresting finals series since 2017 at least, who cares.

Bring on AFL in a month's time. A professional league with real history. Run by mostly competent administrators and with decent officiating.

Reply #912637 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I believe the deal was 2 FTA games on 10 Peach on Sundays including the finals (although apparently that's not necessarily the case)

What is this belief of yours based on?

It was reported in 2021, when the new broadcast agreement was announced, that ESPN hold exclusive rights to G2 & G3 of both SF series.

Reply #912641 | Report this post

WC95  
Last year

Oh ok, I didn't know that. I assumed Sunday games were FTA games no matter what. And I think its fair to assume alot of fans didn't either going by the reaction on the NBL Facebook pages. It's not exactly common knowledge unless you read and remember all the articles. If anything good, a reminder by the NBL would have been nice to allow fans to go to a pub or meet up with friends who have ESPN to go and watch.

This is another thing I hate - G1 is covered but not G2 and 3. Just don't bother with G1 right? Why bother if the FTA coverage gets cut off mid-series. At least there's more transparency there and we all know what to expect.

Reply #912654 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last year

I thought this thread was about the finals series, not tv rights??

Reply #912674 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

Only one game 3 was on 10 Peach and that was the Breakers, Tassie game. It's confusing since Sydney game was meant to also be on 10 Peach.

The NBL said 3 March game on Friday night will be on 10 Peach, I doubt that.

Reply #912676 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

"Think I might tune out from the GF series - or whatever it's called now. I dont think its worth following if there's no assurances of free coverage."

All the games are on Kayo Freebies. The league needs to be shouting that from the rooftops.

Reply #912682 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

With no players from either side playing in the Asian qualifiers, why wait for the GF series to begin ?

Reply #912690 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Last year

The NBL is a FIBA sactioned league and therefore no games are able to be played during FIBA window.

Reply #912691 | Report this post

Hoot  
Last year

Will the FIBA window games be streamed anywhere?

Reply #912692 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Courtside1891.basketball streams all FIBA games.

And yes this is a legit site.

Reply #912694 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

The euro league and nba continue playing through the fiba break.

Reply #912717 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

NBA isn't FIBA

Reply #912718 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

And Euroleague isn't FIBA.

Reply #912721 | Report this post

WC95  
Last year

Just an observation, but there hasn't been much hype surrounding this so far. Even the NBLs own hype workers haven't been able to generate much enthusiasm. Did the FIBA break kill off all the momentum? Every year it's something that hurts the NBL finals.

Reply #912852 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Not much point hyping a series that was two weeks away, I bet once these FIBA qualifiers are out of the way they'll start hyping the GF series this week.

Reply #912859 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:09 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754