djmenow
Last year

Wildcats Release Blanchfield/Norton

Contracts mean nothing these days. They have been told their services are no longer required.

https://www.wildcats.com.au/news/perth-wildcats-thank-mitch-norton-and-todd-blanchfield

Topic #51043 | Report this topic

Big Fudge  
Last year

Or perhaps they mutually agreed to part ways... thus a buy out agreement was reached. Both team and player happy.

Reply #915776 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

They forgot about Wagstaff.

Reply #915778 | Report this post

Dwigt Rortugal  
Last year

"Contracts mean nothing these days"

Bet you they mean something to Blanchfield and Norton's bank balances.

Reply #915779 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Blanchfield to Phoenix and Mitch to the Brisbane Bullets

Reply #915780 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Norton would be perfect in Tasmania.

Reply #915788 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Brisbane supporters: "We desperately need a top-tier point guard to lead our team!"

Bullets: *signs Mitch Norton*

Reply #915789 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Last year

Commiserations to both players axed from the Wildcats. This is what professional basketball is about.

Let's hope the Wildcats now optimises on this opportunity to get the players they need.

Reply #915791 | Report this post

Ballman  
Last year

Cats are doing the roster rebuild they probably should of done 2 seasons ago when Martin retired.

The game has become more athletic and taller so I think this is a good long term move for the cats to get the next generation of players.

I think for both Norton and Blanchfield their starting spots on a club are probably behind them. Role players more their future I suspect.

I am sure if they knew that underperforming as starters mid way through the season would cost them their starting spots, their playing minutes and ultimately their contract.

Message to players on decent contracts - you gotta deliver your value to the club.

Reply #915796 | Report this post

TaipansTragic  
Last year

Yes Brisbane need a top tier PG. But they also need pieces to compliment their Marquee players, think if Norton signs with the Bullets, they'll be a lot more balanced which is just as important as having a quality PG. Rooting for him in BNE. Just hope they don’t take Shannon Scott from us!

Reply #915798 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Gotta think someone out there can get more out of Blanchfield than Rillie did last season.
Norton is still a solid backup too.
All the best to both of them, but the Cats did need a refresh so hopefully this can be a win-win-win situation.

Reply #915801 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

Anyone who moaned about the cats needing to clear out the old and bring in the new over the last couple of seasons (me definitely) should be very happy with the off season proceedings so far. Shame to lose these 2 guys but such is life bring on the next gen

Reply #915804 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I am and I've been SEG's number one critic on here regarding the last two years of inaction and complacency.

Get the imports right and we're cooking.

Reply #915805 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

While I can see that Perth need a refresh, this is equally an indictment on Rillie and the organisation.

Blanchfield had a career year under Gleeson. And can still perform per what he showed with the Boomers.

Norton's worth went beyond his stats. He was also a player that personified Wildcats basketball.

Hopefully this works out well for all parties.

Reply #915807 | Report this post

Ballman  
Last year

Blanchfield played on the starting 5 with Cotton taking the defensive focus , so for him to have a poor shooting season is really not the coaches fault. You got to be an elite scorer if that's what your paid to do. I remember in one of the press conferences Rillie was pressed on todd and he basically said as much - if your there as an elite scorer you have to score.

Averaging 16 mins a game for 4 points average is not something I would be proud about. His minutes were also a lot higher before he got benched but the scoring just as non-existent.

For the boomers they were playing against a high school grade country, I didnt read much into that game at all. There was no pressure, it was like back yard pickup game.

The best thing for the both of them is their next contracts they regain their form and show they are still solid players. For the cats, its a case of once trust is lost it is lost.

Reply #915808 | Report this post

Bol  
Last year

Agreed LoveBroker

Rillie just doesn't get the best out of some players. I can understand releasing Blanchfield as Harris has overtaken him in that position. But Norton was coming off bad injuries in the off season and 30 is not too old to be still providing a solid backup option.

He showed his worth against SEM where he influenced the game with his defensive plays and tenacity. Something the cats lacked all season. He's the type of player any team could use coming off the bench i'm sure if he stays healthy he'll be a valuable contributor wherever he lands next.

Reply #915818 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Sure any team could use Norton I doubt that was the issue, he still had a year to go on the big 3 year deal he re-signed to when being chased by Tassie. They either had to keep him at that rate next season or agree to a buyout and thus lose him.

Reply #915824 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Blanchfield showed playing for the Boomers what he still has to offer. Anyone who thinks Harris has passed him has absolutely no clue.

Reply #915828 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Last year

If it doesn't work out and Trev's available next season, would be a very good argument for sacking Rillie then.
Management has been poor recently, but it seems they're backed Rillie in by letting him have more of a say in the roster he wants. Could have been said of Adelaide in the past getting rid of a contracted DJ in support of coaching advice. Instead he was allowed to fester and been dragging the team down.

Reply #915831 | Report this post

Bws1blood  
Last year

Def Danny mills feelin heat after another sub standard season,
if we are all bein honest

Can Blanchfield still feel a role.. Sure

Be a impact week after week I doubt it and have concerns

He is slow, but u athletic brought nothin on defensive end.. And u could tell as season progressef and his form regressed was going through the motions.

He was a liability as just his effort wasn't there.

Plays good in qualifiers, I isnt a solid indication neither is 3 x 3 isnt that encouraging. I beating up. On trash opposition, I isnt impressive to. Me '

Cats made the right move.. And Norton I feel I would have kept. Over majok and Wagstaff

Apart from still bein able to' play with me the intangibles as a senior membe of squad leadership.. Passion could never be called into question..

This is a bigger blow.. Wish kould have kept around..

But bravo to upper mgmt realizing changes needed to be made

If the bext star rumor is true also.. That will be another step in right direction.. Guessin that's why they didn't sign Gak

Reply #915832 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

Blanchfield has years of experience over Harris, Harris runs rings around him intensity wise. Can Harris improve over time, he is young so definitely. Can Blanchfield hop in a time machine and go back to 2019/20....

If the Wildcats played Kazkhstan or whichever useless team it was he would have dropped 30-40 too that performance shouldn't be used as a like for like comparison. His multiple no shows when given minutes last season are why he is gone. The number of times he missed 3's and/or drove into traffic for the one handed jumper which either came up short or was blocked highlighted he is not the automatic consistent offensive weapon he once was. He is a champion and played a key part but time rolls on.

Reply #915834 | Report this post

Bol  
Last year

Did you even watch any games Sebastian?

Whether its more about promoting youth or not Harris was clearly favored in Rillies rotation over Blanchfield. Looking at 3pt% in isolation 40% v 30%, more athletic, better defender, younger with much higher ceiling. Its not too difficult to understand the reason behind it.

Do doubt Blanchfield still has a lot to offer an NBL team and can flourish in the right system like he did under Gleeson.

Reply #915835 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Blanchfield was awesome for boomers after not playing at all for Wildcats!

Reply #915838 | Report this post

Bol  
Last year

Its laughable you would compare playing against Bahrain or Republic of Congo with the NBL. Blanchfield has always been a downhill skier and can shoot well when there is little applied defense. He would always go missing when the pressure was on and the team needed him most to make shots. It didn't surprise me that he played well in the Asia Cup quali

Reply #915839 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

Yes he was. He was very very well rested before that game for the reasons listed numerous times above!

Reply #915840 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

Yes he was. He was very very well rested before that game for the reasons listed numerous times above!

Reply #915841 | Report this post

Bws1blood  
Last year

He didnt bring anythin else if his shot didn't go

And his Defensive effort was beyond a joke last year

It made him unplayable I his shot and offense wasn't on and as others pointed out the league.. Is faster and more athletic, I bigger then ever before.. I he couldn't create seperation

Seein rillie put him. On xavier cook, to see cook stroll past him on a full court play,and lay in a bucket just before half time against the kids .. Shows you how locked in Blanchfield was last year

Reply #915842 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Are any nbl clubs going to pick him up, could answer a lot questions. Still has some value but not at the salary he was on. He really only played well under the Gleeson system in all his seasons.

Reply #915844 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Bws1blood neither does Cotton. If his shot disappears which it did several times last season he is also useless. Just on more coin.

Reply #915847 | Report this post

Bws1blood  
Last year

U arent fn seriously comparing cottons effort on defense, combos scrapping for lose possessions and effort last year

To Blanchfield.. U kant be serious

Reply #915851 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Cotton is a passenger. If he isn't on offensively he gives you nothing. But hey, you be one eyed that's cute. Cotton doesn't guard the oppositions best guard. They hide him. Blanchfield on Cooks is on Rillie not Todd. Maybe live in reality champ

Reply #915852 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

I'll grab half an ounce of whatever you are smoking bro!

Reply #915854 | Report this post

Bol  
Last year

School holidays

Reply #915855 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Lmao, Blanchfield = to Cotton.

Reply #915856 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Last year

Cotton was top rebounder a few games last year which is ridiculous for the smallest guy in the team. He always provides effort

Reply #915862 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

Blanchfield = Hawks

Drimic = Jackjumpers

Should be announced next 2 days

Reply #915866 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulez  
Last year

One of the stupidest takes I've ever heard re: Cotton. No need to elaborate.

Reply #915872 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Blanchfield is still a veteran player with considerable game left on him but given the Cats are going young and athletic it's just was the right time to move on.

Both parties left on good terms. Perth will be totally different next season upfront. I’m not sure people are being so harsh on JR?.. perth is making the right decision to begin a new era and do a rebuild while still being competitive

Reply #915878 | Report this post

Bws1blood  
Last year

Still think Gak was the better signin for cats then okwera

But i get the local. Kid spin

Reply #915880 | Report this post

Bws1blood  
Last year

Also f Danny mills or the FO.. They should have more Klass theb to say two vets of the klub were sacked

Poorly handelled on their part, but whether that's media driven headline.. It shouldn't have been approved in that manner, I and cats should have pushed back as it bein a mutual buyout or Parting of the ways

Reply #915881 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Okwera is a more versatile player than Gal. He can stretch the floor, play on both ends and has more upside. He does everything

Reply #915882 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Gak

Reply #915883 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last year

Would've kept one of them definitely

Reply #915897 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Norton signed with the bullets as I predicted

Reply #915906 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Not to much excitement around the Wagstaff resigning around here.

Reply #916942 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

Is it official?

Reply #916946 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I hope he is resigning rather than re-signing.

Reply #916948 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:32 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754