ME
Last year

NBL Young Guns and the Boomers Paris Olympics projections

I get it. People want to put the Boomers at the back of their mind. There's an NBL season here and the Boomers stank it up at the world cup. But after watching and hearing bits and pieces from the Blitz it seems like some young guys very well could find themselves on a plane to Paris next year.

Realistically if Australia is going to medal (or be particularly competitive) at the Olympics we need to do something different. We can't roll out the exact same team and do anything of note against the world's best. So my question is what do you think of the chances of the following guys -

Lachlan Olbright
Alex Toohey
Ben Henshal
and to a lesser extent, Rocco Zikarsky

And further, what are the chances of some old dogs coming back into the fray?
Matthew Dellavedova
Aron Baynes
Jonah Bolden
Mitch Creek

Lachy Olbright has been the standout of the group, and at 6 ft 10, mobile and with an ability to get to his spots and make buckets, you'd have to see him as a potential replacement for a declining Nick Kay.

Alex Toohey can shoot, which is more than can be said for most of the Boomers team. Same with Henshal, who may be a bit further down projections but is a name worth keeping an eye on.

And then there's Rocco Zikarsky. I doubt he'd be an impact player in Paris but surely he makes the camp. There can be little doubt he is Australia's big man of the future.

Then we might look at our old guys - Aron Baynes, "Delly" and Jonah Bolden.

"Baynesy" has shown glimpses in the Blitz that he still might have something in the tank. Delly seems to want to market himself as something of a bench shooter - and is really letting it fly. There were times at the Cup when his experience would have been invaluable. And then you've got Bolden, who left the team in disgrace in 2019, but may have matured enough to be forgiven. He's always going to be 6'10. He's always going to be athletic. He's always going to look like the missing piece, physically, anyway. And then there's Mitch Creek. I never thought a day would come when Mitch Creek would look like any kind of necessity to the team but for a Boomers team with a lack of shooting and scoring options and a lack of grit it's hard for me to keep pretending the man doesn't exist.

I cant help but think some of the needed pieces are emerging in the NBL to put the Boomers back on track but whether they'll be taken and utilized is another question.

Topic #51414 | Report this topic

hoopie  
Last year

Nice thinking, ME. Yet another reason for a Possibles v Probables approach in camp (and even around the country).

It comes down to the same old questions every time - who would you leave out to put someone new in, and how would it affect our balance?

You mentioned replacing Nick Kay with all right, which sounds possible. Ingles and Goulding shouldn't be on the plane, based on the WC, but would you slot Simmons (LOL) or Creek in for Ingles? And who would you leave out to put Delly or Creek in?

Imagine having Giddey (the anointed PG), Simmons (the previously-anointed PG) and Delly (the previous PG) on the same team - think of the tension and competition to be team’s main PG. Please, no.

Reply #926423 | Report this post

After all, this is just pre-season.
Obviously we'll be having a completely different conversation next year.

Reply #926424 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Definitely a different conversation but I think a conversation worth having is are we willing to take chances on young and out of favour guys?

Ingles, Kay, Goulding shouldn't be on the plane. In a perfect world you take Simmons but that places further impetus on shooters. Good news is Bolden can shoot and if he plays himself into form, you have to look at him. I think you also need to question the following guys making the team -

Duop Reath - a fit Bolden may be a better fit, is not strong on D
Matisse Thybulle- one trick pony,. Can we afford to have another guy who is only effective on one side of the court?

I could go either way on Dyson Daniels simply depending what we need and what he's providing.

Long story short, a non-shooting small ball team did not (and will not) work... nor will the assumption that athleticism alone will. We need guys who can defend and shoot. Its that simple.

Reply #926425 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Imo

Olbrich and Zikarsky 2025 and beyond entry to program, possible 2025 asia cup, 27 WC, 28 Olympics.
Henshall no guarantee but a possibility at the same time as above.
Toohey never at a major tournament but asia cups for sure.
Delly possible for next year, have to wait n see this nbl season.
Baynes, nope. Not ahead of Landale, Reath and others.
Bolden, nope. Not ahead of Simmons, Pinder and others.
Creek, nobody seems to like him, would have to be a 3 in fiba.

Reply #926426 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Yet another reason for a Possibles v Probables approach in camp (and even around the country).

This is such a good idea so it won't happen.

Reply #926428 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

I don't think it’s crazy to see Rocco as the 12th man young guy who doesn’t play, considering the lack of size...

Reply #926438 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

I can see Olbrich, Zikarsky and Toohey being future Boomers but from Qatar 2027 on

Travers could earn an invite to training camp for Paris with a good season at United.

Older guys- Creek appears on the outer, great NBL23 but still didn't get a look in. Baynes is done. Delly an outside chance, but only if there's injuries to Giddey, Exum or Daniels

Reply #926439 | Report this post

twenty four  
Last year

Death, taxes and pointless Boomers threads.

Reply #926460 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Mr Four, at some point you have to just accept it. I actually marvel at the passion people display throughout the year about the national teams.

Reply #926466 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

It's not that amazing Isaac. I see international b'ball major tournaments as the pinnacle of basketball - along with the NBA playoffs

It would mean more seeing the Boomers win a medal in Paris than seeing United win another title

Reply #926467 | Report this post

JT  
Last year

Olbrich's emergence is great news for the Boomers. It's widely agreed that we had a deficit in the bigs department at the recent World Cup. Along with Zikarsky and others, this area of the team will again become a strength matching the previous iterations of the team.

The 'under 30s' Boomers depth chart is looking deep and strong for the coming decade or so:

PG: Giddey (20) / Proctor (19) / WMW (25) / T Armstrong (21)
SG: Exum (28) / Daniels (20) / Vasiljevic (26)
SF: Green (22) / Thybulle (26) / Travers (22) / Toohey (19)
PF: Simmons (27) / Cooks (28) / White (26) / Froling (23) / Olbrich (19)
C: Landale (27) / Reath (27) / Zikarsky (17)

And I'm sure I've missed some. Lots to be excited about after Paris.

Reply #926470 | Report this post

Aussie  
Last year

Don't forget Johnny Furphy from Melbourne who has just joined Kansas.

6'8 wing who is a great shooter and really athletic.

Should continue to develop under Bill Self.

Reply #926483 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Furphy > Toohey IMO
Think Toohey has more of a future at pf than sf.

Reply #926486 | Report this post

JT  
Last year

The more the merrier!

Reply #926497 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

People can call it a "pointless Boomers thread" but if we look back to the purpose and formation of the national league, it was to provide decent competition to help foster a successful national team. And while we are many decades away from the founding of the NBL, that is very much how I see it. Even if most Boomers players are not active NBL players, most of them have come through the NBL in one way or another. And I agree with LV, whoever wins the NBL title is of little concern to me (hint, it wont be Adelaide). But the Boomers are OUR team. They're always going to be our team. Players wont get traded in and out. We are not just celebrating a colour on a jersey. There is more the Boomers basketball than there is to any particular NBL club.

I think the best thing the Boomers can do for immediate and future success is do away with the concept of "locks" on the team, bring everyone to camp, and start from scratch. And while the obvious guys will surely get picked, there is half of the roster that should have question marks on their head. I for one would love to see an Olbright type on the team.

Reply #926515 | Report this post

Aussie  
Last year

Not trying to be smart but his name is Olbrich ME

Reply #926528 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:17 am, Tue 30 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754