Dogga75
Last year

U10 trying out for Rep

Hi all,
My daughter is currently an U10 player and will be trying out for Rep. However, my wife and I are now unsure if this is the best option and whether we should wait another year. We have experience with the expectations for rep as our 17 year son played previously and is partly the reason why we think it might be too much for an 8 year old.

Just wondering if anyone else had their daughter (or son) start rep when they were still U10 and how did they cope. Most importantly, if you could go back in time, would you do it again?

Topic #51462 | Report this topic

Grote18  
Last year

My son started when he was u10 because we felt he needed it for his development and he had aspirations... and whilst it was a steep learning curve playing with kids 2 years older, I felt his bball IQ and defence in particular improved in a way that would not have happened otherwise - and so we would do it again. Do you have specific concerns in terms of the age?

Reply #927585 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

As long as the coach wants to develop players and isn't thinking of the season as the WNBA finals. She’ll be right.

My kid played U12 Div 2 and got 4 mins a game and now hates basketball because the coach thought winning a Div 2 title (which they were well off anyway) was more important then developing the love of the game. Div 1 teams a different story from 14’s and up. You can teach being competitive but win at all costs coaching at that age ruins kids future in the game.

Reply #927586 | Report this post

Cake  
Last year

For some kids it will be fine, others won't be ready. I know a family whose middle child played rep in u10, but they waited until the youngest was u12. Youngest went on to CoE and NCAA D1. Family's decision was not about ability, which was clearly of a standard to make a 12/1 rep side. They knew the kid best and decided the extra year of maturity was needed.

My point is that having been through it already, you are probably best equipped to make the decision about your daughter, but you're not going to ruin their chances of future success by waiting a year.

Reply #927587 | Report this post

Relaxed coach  
Last year

I would suggest you ask your daughter how she feels during the tryout process.

If her response is, she is loving it. Then cheer her on and let her start the journey. If however, she is feeling intimidated or nervous. You are probably correct and she may need another year of domestic basketball.

Also have a look to see if the club is supporting the girls program as much as the boys program.

Reply #927947 | Report this post

Karma Basketball  
Last year

If it is supportive group of people around the team I would say go for it. Especially if she loves the sport. The earlier she jumps in to these levels the better.

However, if you feel it is a bit too soon, then by all means delay for a year. In the overall scheme of things it probably won't make that much difference. Consider though, that if this years cohort of players offers a good environment for her development, there is no guarantee that next year's one will so you could be passing up a good opportunity.

Reply #928582 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:28 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754