Kolzee
Last month

Mody leaving the Breakers

Apparently leaving to coach an Asian club with one year left on the contract. It's going to be a tough ask to piece together a competitive squad in court after this

I thought his assistants would be considered but American owners prob going to recruit from their network

Topic #52002 | Report this topic

word14  
Last month

That's huge, not too often we see a coach depart having already started to piece together a squad for next year. The Asia stuff must’ve come up very quickly, and clearly a lucrative deal. Where to here for NZ?

Reply #941869 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last month

NZ is a mess behind the scenes as has been inferred a few times in the non NBL hype media.
Mody was linked to the 36ers at one point so him leaving has been on the cards

Reply #941870 | Report this post

EssenX  
Last month

This is a big loss, not so much Mody himself (there were some question marks around his coaching and rotations last year) but the timing makes things very difficult.

Reply #941876 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last month

Really shit time for this to happen.
Mody was a breath of fresh air after Dan Shamir.

Reply #941880 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

This is absolutely huge.

Hugely bad for the NBL and the Breakers, and hate to say this, but hugely good for the other NBL teams.

Mody was an absolute gun coach. If I was starting an NBL franchise and could sign anyone to a 5 year deal, he would've been right near the top of my list, probably number 3 behind Roth and Vickerman.

Reply #941887 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Money in Asia is big, I'm not convinced he’s that great a loss, imo they underachieved last season nearly as badly as SEM. Where does this leave players already signed thinking he’s the coach, certainly PJC.

Reply #941896 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

They underachieved but a lot of that was injuries, out of Modys control. Am equally intrigued to see what the likes of PJC do

Reply #941906 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

Jonah Bolden also cited Mody as one of the reasons he signed

Reply #941908 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last month

NZ had a press conference earlier and said every player had been personally contacted and they were all positive about playing next season for NZ and happy for Mody and his family.

Reply #941919 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last month

I bet.

Bolden & McCarron would have to be unhappy on this development as no doubt Mody sold them on going over with promises of roles/court time etc. Now a new coach will be coming in, probably a foreigner too as is this ownership group's way, and likely with no past historical references of those guys.

Mody quit with a year to go on his contract, Shamir quit with a year to go on his, Braswell was fired with 2 years to go on his deal leading to the HC job being made redundant and Henare quit too. Not a great track record with coaches with this ownership group.

Reply #941924 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last month

Henare would be perfect.

Reply #941928 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Henare has good team in b league that under achieved, wonder if they will put a call into Buford, he would fit there very nicely.

Reply #941932 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last month

According to Olgun they're not interested in Buford. One name he mentioned was Phil Handy former Tiger/Razorback who was just sacked by the Lakers. Would be cool to see him back in the NBL.

Reply #941934 | Report this post

EssenX  
Last month

Buford would certainly add fuel to the rivalry with Sydney. I think his preferred playing style would also suit the roster.

The big $ in Asia is the biggest risk to the NBL's continued growth. So many players and coaches being taken in their prime.

Reply #941939 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Last month

The challenge is the NZ options are slim.

I doubt Paul Henare returns, both as he was courted by Japanese dollars and because he was shafted by the Breakers when Matt Walsh first joined the club.

Zico Coronel was AC under Dan Shamir in 2019 and it appeared that there was a fallout that led to both Zico and Mike Fitchett walking out.

After ruling out the above two, Ross McMains is my preferred option with the type of players we have, though does he want to leave Boston? Pero could be leaving the TB's, but does he want to leave his Gold Coast base? Judd Flavell would make the most sense, but does a return to the old guard align with the global aspirations the Breakers have with Next Stars?

I sense another international coach is coming.

Reply #941941 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

The only new zealander I think would fit is Aaron fearne and I doubt the ownership would go for him

Henare and cameron def not the right fit with these owners

It needs a strong minded coach who will demand their own recruits rather than Walsh's

I can't help but think they'll go for a coach out of the US system

Reply #941942 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:33 am, Sun 16 Jun 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754