Beach Baller
Last month

Crawford re-signs for the JJ’s

Just announced in members e-mail.

Topic #52004 | Report this topic

rareairunc  
Last month

I wondered if mcveigh was marqueed? if not can still fit in another import as last season we had the three in lee, doyle and JC. Another SF option would be nice but a third string PG would be handy also(kyle adnam type)

Reply #941890 | Report this post

Scout  
Last month

Bit of a surprise, thought he was not coming back.

Game 5 of the GF series would have locked it in for him.

It will be interesting to see if they get a Next Star (have used that as requirement for the High Performance centre that has the go ahead ie it is needed to be able to sign one) and or another Australian.

Have Magnay and McVeigh as marquee, Doyle and Crawford, Deng, Drmic, MacDonald, Gak and Krslovic. Solid line up just needs a bit more to continue to improve.

Reply #941891 | Report this post

KL  
Last month

Mark Radford said on SEN recently that JJs had to let Lachie Barker go because Sean MacDonald has been elevated to main roster. I took that to mean there were no more local roster spots left. If that is right, then one more import spot is left which may have been waiting on how many $ are left after resigning Crawford or as has been rumoured on this forum for the Japan B league to finish. I would not be surprised if it is an elite import 3 which would take the JJs to another level.

Reply #941892 | Report this post

Ben  
Last month

Love it. I like the idea of bringing back core players to defend a title.

Wonder if the Jacks are still in the hunt for young Roman as a NS. He'd be a perfect fit on the team.

Reply #941893 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Wonder if the Jacks are still in the hunt for young Roman as a NS. He'd be a perfect fit on the team.

Wow, really? They're such a switched on organisation.

Reply #941895 | Report this post

Team nWo  
Last month

Wow.....harsh comment towards Roman. Do you even know the kid? As somebody who does know him just be careful in how you judge him.

Reply #941897 | Report this post

Baller  
Last month

Perthworld yeah they have been trying for a few months to get him , but he was still undecided on his options

Reply #941898 | Report this post

Baller  
Last month

team nwo from the little bit I've seen of Roman he looks like he has the potential to be a very solid player

Reply #941901 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Crawford had very good season, yes had a few quieter games but overall was fantastic, really enjoyed what he brought to the table at both ends, smart signing imo.

Reply #941903 | Report this post

Team nWo  
Last month

Baller.......more than very solid. He is a legit superstar potential. When he gets into a professional environment watch out.

Reply #941904 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

If we assume McVeigh has become marqueed thats the roster completed except for a fews DPs and potentially a NS. They really are trying to run it back, and at this stage based off the roster could be the team to beat.

Reply #941905 | Report this post

KL  
Last month

That's only 10 full rostered players though. Don’t teams have to have 11 under NBL rules?

Reply #941907 | Report this post

Baller  
Last month

Team nwo he would definitely be exciting to watch from recent interviews I've seen with him sounds like he’s not interested in college and wants to stay in Australia, would be a massive bonus signing for jack jumpers

Reply #941909 | Report this post

rareairunc  
Last month

I am of the understanding that some of the higher ups in the jj's front office are pushing hard for roman so hopefully it happens. If we can still get another import i hope it is a Vic Law type, legit three/four man with length, range, ability to play good d and also hit from outside consistently

Reply #941911 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Last month

Is he bringing his God with him again next season?

Reply #941914 | Report this post

Scout  
Last month

If he wins another chip AussiePride he can bring whoever he wants.

rareairunc .....if there is a roster spot for another import would be a strong roster and like your criteria for what is needed. I'm not sure of what spots are left on the JJs roster.

Reply #941918 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

Scout it all depends on whether or not they've marqueed McVeigh alongside Magnay. If yes then it's just DP spots to fill and a maybe a Next Star, if no then a 3rd import is possible.

Reply #941920 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last month

It looks like there could be some truth to the JJ's only going with two imports next season if McVeigh and Magnay are both going to be marquees as Gak is the like for like replacement for Lee.

Crawford, Doyle, McVeigh, Magnay, Deng, Drmic, Macdonald, Krslovic, Steindl and Gak leaves one spot left on the roster to fill.

Reply #941922 | Report this post

Baller  
Last month

Word14 i could be wrong but I don't thinks there’s a rule stating you can only have two imports if you have two marquee players it just means you would be paying a decent amount of luxury tax if you do.

Reply #941923 | Report this post

KL  
Last month

That's my understanding as well Baller. The CEO has said that the JJs were profitable last year despite the actual cap spend (and paying the luxury tax) and Olgun has said on one of the Market Place episodes that the JJs are going to spend more in 2025 than they did in 2024. So, I don’t discount the idea that the JJs don’t marquee McVeigh and have a 3rd import (and pay luxury tax again). It is just an issue of what $$ they have to play with and still keep the books at least balanced for the purposes of prospective buyers. Time will tell.

Reply #941933 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Wow.....harsh comment towards Roman. Do you even know the kid? As somebody who does know him just be careful in how you judge him.

WTF? I think you've misread my comment.

Reply #941944 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Perthworld yeah they have been trying for a few months to get him , but he was still undecided on his options

TAS ars so impressive, they're a brand new franchise and running rings around the rest of the league.

Reply #941945 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last month

Agree.

Reply #941947 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last month

"If we can still get another import i hope it is a Vic Law type"

I can't see a team that has Jack McVeigh as their stretch 4 committing significant money to a Vic Law type.

Reply #941949 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

Baller and KL yeah fair enough, I was wrong on that one. Realistically all the JJs still need is someone to slot in behind Doyle at the 2.

Reply #941951 | Report this post

KL  
Last month

Mika Vukona confirmed on SEN yesterday that the JJs are bringing in a 3rd import with an announcement expected in the next 2 weeks or so. A wing that will give the JJs some X factor they don't currently have on the roster. This obviously means McVeigh is not a marquee and negotiations are already very well advanced if not concluded if you want to read anything into that in terms of the rumours.

Reply #942037 | Report this post

Scout  
Last month

Thanks for that KL.

Mika Vukona is a big part of the reason the JJs are as successful as they are. A very smart sigining getting him as part of the organisation great culture fella.

Missed the SEN interview would like to listen to it. Do you have a link?

Having an athletic wing as an import is something the JJs have never had will be intriguing to find out who it is. As you say the X factor and some flexibility to the roster.

Intriguing times ahead for the JJs

Reply #942038 | Report this post

KL  
Last month

No probs Scout. If you google SEN Tassie they have all their past segments and interviews from the breakfast shows available. Mika also gives some post signing insights into why Crawford is coming back and no surprises there.

Reply #942039 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

Scout as well as KLs suggestions all SEN full episodes and segments are on Spotify if you have it.

Reply #942040 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Back to back baby, who stops them.

Reply #942041 | Report this post

Scout  
Last month

Cheers word14 and KL will look it up, looking forward to finding out who the import will be.

Reply #942044 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

Dunkman it's a question I've asked too, they'll obviously be challenged, but genuinely hard to say by whom at this stage

Reply #942046 | Report this post

KL  
Last month

It will be a very tough league again and nothing is surer than the Cats and United will come again. Keeping a roster largely together is huge. Hard to assess how good the Kings and SEM might be and Illawarra will improve again but need Clark. Sixers might provide a lot of cheek depending on final roster. The master coach certainly will not be presupposing anything. Just keep winging at practice and we will finish where we do.

Reply #942049 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Hawks next best at present stage, holes at the five for kings and four for cats and I'm fan of Harris, Wagstaff but not starters. Sixers and SEM got lot work to do to finish their rosters, certainly both defensively. QLD sides have not improved YET, united look strong but need a few pieces.

Reply #942053 | Report this post

Baller  
Last month

Roman had a 37point 10 rebound game in nbl1 north on wknd the kid is flying, word is he is close to signing as a next star with jack jumpers if that happens as well as a 3rd import they will be stacked next season

Reply #942074 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Last month

For those discussing SEN Tasmania remember that the hosts Costello and Paine have no concept of professional sports and the NBL and fail on a continual basis to ask any hard or relevant questions about the JJs and the NBL.

Reply #942075 | Report this post

KL  
Last month

Maybe you should listen to the segment then. It is not like it is secret squirrels. The question was directly put and answered followed by a "to be clear" follow-up for certainty. Not sure what more they are supposed to do at least on that particular question.

Reply #942076 | Report this post

Scout  
Last month

It is worth a listen....Mika Vukona speaks well and clearly on the intention of signing a 3rd import.

Yep may be worth listening before commenting..ie Geeves was one of the hosts.

Good get KL

Reply #942077 | Report this post

Baller  
Last month

AussiePride so Tim paine a former Australian cricket captain has no concept of professional sports that's a strange take on things there mate

Reply #942078 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last month

I got a good chuckle out of that too Baller!

Reply #942079 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Last month

Craig Sword final JJs import.

Reply #942084 | Report this post

KL  
Last month

If true, that is Scott Roth's defensive dream. Will certainly take the JJs to another level. Has previously played with Milton Doyle in the G league I think.

Reply #942087 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

It's a signing that probably not over the top financially as well, probably still allows Magnay and McVeigh to be marquee players. Him and Drimic will certainly defensively will certainly lead the pack.
When they announced the original team and coach, I thought no way, now three seasons later it looks like JJs then daylight. I wasn’t on my own either but I’m admitting I was totally wrong.

Reply #942088 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

Craig Sword the perfect signing for Tassie, one of the G-Leagues all time leaders in blocked shots by a guard I believe, fantastic defender.

Exactly what they missed last year. Their only chink in the armour was defending high level guards, Drmic and Sean MacDonald had to do a lot of heavy lifting. Craig Sword instantly fills that gap.

Only question is if they can play Doyle/Sword/Crawford at the same team, that's a very small lineup.

Still, fantastic signing.

Reply #942089 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

Crazy Tassie have two Boomers in McVeigh/Magnay AND 3 imports, fantastic team building

Reply #942090 | Report this post

rareairunc  
Last month

Would be great to see JC move to the bench as a sixth man spark plug type of guy ala ian clark. Leave seanny mac as starter to chase his man, hit open looks and slash, doyle to control the ball for p n r's with magnay and gak, take his shots when needed and overall control the game, sword doesnt need or want the ball he just wants to defend hard. great signing, hopefully the league allows him to defend the way he wants to. JC then comes in to take as many shots as his fg % for that game dictates and otherwise run the second team(drmic, gak, fab, majok and steindl make for a damn deep bench unit). . Then throw in finals MVP mcveigh and wow this team should be the front runner for next season(depending on what the kings do with their import spots)

Reply #942091 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

I think Sword will probably come off the bench tbh

Reply #942092 | Report this post

rareairunc  
Last month

come off the bench behind drmic? surely not. would be great to see sword start the game and set the tone defensively. Drmic off the bench as a good defender, spot up shooter and slasher would be nice added punch to the second unit, that seemed to struggle a bit last season offensively if steindl wasn't hitting shots

Reply #942094 | Report this post

KL  
Last month

Roth started Kenyon and Sword shoots at a high clip, steals and blocks at the rim as well. Can't see a FIBA Team USA guard and someone spoken of as one of the best defensive guards ever in the G league coming off the bench. You want him out there on Cotton et al from the start making their lives hell imo.

Reply #942096 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

Yeah on ability for sure, but he played a lot of PG in the G-League, generously listed at 6'3, i just wouldn't be surprised if the Jackie's keep the same starting lineup as last year for continuity.

But yeah he is definitely an upgrade on Drmic

Reply #942097 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Last month

It's a signing that probably not over the top financially as well, probably still allows Magnay and McVeigh to be marquee players.

You can only have a total of 4 imports and marquee players combined.

Reply #942098 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Ok, thanks, then either Magnay or McVeigh are selling themselves short or there is going to be tax at seasons end.

Reply #942101 | Report this post

Baller  
Last month

MaxM there's talk off them bringing Roman in as a next star as well I’m not sure how they would find meaningful minutes for him after the sword signing

Reply #942103 | Report this post

KL  
Last month

Sword must be an envied/astute signing when connections of a certain club on other socials have started their annual war of words.

Reply #942111 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last month

Sword could well come off the bench. Roth just does what he thinks is best for the team, and if he feels Sword coming in with energy when Crawford or Doyle rest is a good thing then he'll do it.

That said, his skill set will work well with a Magnay, McVeigh, Doyle, Crawford starting group.

Interesting to note after a career of poor-to-average long range shooting, Sword hit 37% two years ago and 43% last season. If he can repeat that the JJs become super hard to guard!

Reply #942115 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Last month

@Baller Paine only knows about cricket and the cricket that is representative not professional team cricket. He has no clue on pretty much any other sport.

Reply #942119 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:26 am, Sun 16 Jun 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754