anomymous
Years ago

Club Survival

what is the truth in the word going around that two clubs are under scrutiny for their survival from 2007 onwards due to the BASA/Receiver situation and their current financial situations and inability to pay back

Topic #7515 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you're worried about the survival of your club then speak to someone on your management committee. Otherwise posts like that will only start up a club bashing as it has in the past.

(I'm sure that isn't your intention but there are more appropriate ways of getting that information then asking a bunch of anonymous basketball fans on a public forum.)

Reply #84464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well it doesn't need to be a club bashing but it does highlight the point that if these two clubs do not pay back their large debts what will happen to them? I have heard that there is a possibility that they will not be allowed to nominate teams until the debt is paid. I guess the Presidents of these clubs will need to take a lot of responsibility for the down fall of their clubs. When the sale of the sixers etc is finialised we will here what will happen to them.

Reply #84470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Well it doesn't need to be a club bashing but it does highlight the point that if these two clubs do not pay back their large debts what will happen to them?"

Point being no one who posts on this forum is able to answer that because they don't make that decision.

Reply #84487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well certainly a lot of people who post on this club would be effected by that outcome and sometimes it is better for a community e.g. in this case the basketball community to try and fix the problems before they become too big to resolve.

Reply #84512 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Surely if the 10(?) main clubs "own" the 36ers and they are sold for a profit, then the clubs split the money. Those in big debt get zilch and the others recruit players while the sun shines
All too simple

Reply #84521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

84512, NO its not better.

The basketball community is incapable of doing anything other than basketball and self-destructing itself. Leave it with the people with the accumen, knowledge and experience to solve these problems. They are too big for you to solve, and I dont know you, but, its obvious that you are out of your depth on this issue by feeling the need to talk about it here.

Reply #84523 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hangin Round - can't see clubs getting anything out of the sale. The club's combined association would remain in debt even after a sale of major assets.

Reply #84526 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

I agree Isaac, but was being extremely optimistic. One thing is certain : that the next few years will be very interesting, with some crucial announcements surfacing soon

Reply #84527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 10 Million + debt that BASA has is way out of the clubs league. The clubs debts are insignificant in the scheme of things no one seems to get this.

As soon as the 36ers etc. are sold off the better the clubs and BSA will be. They can focus on running grassroots basketball not on running multi-million $$ professional organisations which is clearly out of the depth of an organisation with BSAs governing structure and many of the people in it.

Reply #84528 | Report this post

Me  
Years ago

Just passing by but the dept that basa owns is to the goverenment, of which is money they have spent running the powerhouse and the 36ers?

well i be right to say that the dept from clubs is not part of that 10 million dollar dept.

not to say that is probably the reason basa is in dept because it has no where to extract funds as other smaller bodies are in dept to them aswell? But i do hope when the sale does come that it benefits basketball and the future restructuring of basketball in S.A well lead it to a better future.

i feel concerned i may be apart of one of these clubs in doubht over there finacial future and i personally dont want to see it go as its being a big part of my life not just basketball but the freinds you make at the club is what makes it just like all the other memebers at the club would feel the same you would losewell maybe tothe

loyalist of members but it would be a big part of your life that you would lose, not to mention losing two clubs would only affect the competitions and area that district basketball covers.

but as a basketball community yes on the court we are all competiting but its not a war where you want to erradicate the otherside who well you play against if your the only district club left hypothetically speaking.

we are all affected in the end and should all be trying to keep all te current clubs in exsistence.

Reply #84536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People,

It is simple.

The sale of the 36ers, the Dome and the Lightning will go towards paying off the debt BASA ows to the government. The government has undertaken to change the structure of BASA so that continual losses are not made.

It MAY be a part of their recommendation that clubs which owe money to BASA are not entitled to enter into competitions or not be entitled to be a part of the NEW structure if they have not paid their debt to BASA.

Reply #84544 | Report this post

Me  
Years ago

ahh ok cheers

Reply #84570 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:32 am, Fri 10 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754