basil faulty
Years ago

ABL in 2005, a few questions !

Firstly I think it is really great that the Universities, Mildura and Mt Gambier are looking at joining Central ABL in 2005.

Now - how will the programme work? Mildura's girls, the Sunbeams do not play SEABL - they play Big V Division 1 (competition basically based in Melbourne)will they rise to ABL level to balance an even men's and women's component?

Mt Gambier - have no representative senior women's team in any major competition ? will they rise to the challenge and form a new team?

Who will be the mavericks ? Mildura or Eastern?

I really like the idea, even if they give it a go for a few seasons, we will really have a good competition !

GUN DAD - live the dream !

Topic #760 | Report this topic

ahem!  
Years ago

there are some who would say that the big v comp is a strong comp and that mildura's women won't have to rise to abl level but will be more than competitive.

Reply #8115 | Report this post

Dr J  
Years ago

just confriming midura are Div 1 in VBL - not big V conference level (2 levels below big V conference - but under same banner. Structured "Big V", "premier league" then "Div 1"

still I have seen many of them play and they would easily be suitable for central ABL women

Reply #8124 | Report this post

Yothu  
Years ago

Can anyone tell me what is going on with the ABL next season. When the season starts. and how many games???? and who's in it??? cause this is rubbish!!! they players, the clubs, and the coaches need to know!!!

Reply #8297 | Report this post

Pioneer  
Years ago

Settle down Yothu, you'll do yourself some real damage and then how can we get real insighteful comments from you :)

The Presidents and the reps of each club from the senior committe are meeting either tonight or tomorrow night, to discuss and decide on how many games will be played and when the season will start and finish. At the last Senior Committe it was ratified when the earliest the season can start and the latest it can finish (my memory isn't to good, but I think it was first week in February and last week in August).
Once the decision has been made then the senior committee will vote on the amount of games, start and finish of the 2005 ABL season at the next senior committee meeting, to be held on Monday 11 October.

The combined meeting is to discuss important factors in how many games to play and who actually controls the ABL season. Whether clubs can afford a long season in financial terms and volunteer terms. Players seem to think that longer season more pay, but from good authority, most presidents are saying nyet! How many volunteers can a club rely on and still stay a viable club???
Before you players get on your soap boxes and say let's play more games, just remember, the easy part is to roll up for training and playing, the hard part is organising and running and cutting even financially with the games.
18 games worked a treat last year......but, let the arguing begin on how many should be played.

Reply #8305 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

Stay with 18 games - I thought last year was a success. Very exciting season!!

Maybe go to 22 games if say, Mildura and Mt Gambier join the conference. That would be awesome!!

Reply #8312 | Report this post

Hoopin  
Years ago

Stay with 18 if we go to 27 then crowds will diminish and injuries will play a bigger part and the competition will not be as close as it was this year.

Reply #8315 | Report this post

Lommax  
Years ago

Any news on changes to the ABA for this year.

I believe there was a meeting recently??

Reply #8480 | Report this post

Yothu  
Years ago

So what happened at the meeting

Reply #8528 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:47 am, Sat 11 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754