jack0851
Years ago

Well done 6er's despite pathetic refs

The 6er's turned on a great exhibition against a hapless Blaze. But I'll have to re-read my rule book. The version the guys used tonight must have had most of the pages ripped out. Anything goes. They turned the game into an ugly affair by letting anything go - and that was both ways. Both teams were allowed to play well outside of the published rules.

Topic #18811 | Report this topic

Dazzler  
Years ago

I watched the second half of the game on Fox tonight and didn't think the refs were too bad - maybe i missed some calls in the first half?

Reply #222894 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Let's see, it's late but........
* Pero Cameron hugging Luke all night like he was a Villi's pie (must of thought his red hair was sauce?)
* Charge called on ? (forget) on south side - flop
* Moving screens by Blaze all night
* Whitehead grabs ball and throws out of court - blaze ball
* "Anne" Frank flapping his elbows in Sixer's faces like he was doing the chicken dance on Jimmy Neutron
* Luke getting grabbed in rebounds
* Whitehead crash tackling the pack to get offensive rebounds
* SoJ reaching in to Bruce
* Shots by Blaze after 24 secs - no call
* Unsportsman like foul by Bowen on ? during layup
* Ballinger called for a charge
* Luke's 3rd or 4th foul - softer than the twin chocs
* ? Blaze taking a 3, ? goes to block, Blaze guy flops, foul called

Reply #222901 | Report this post

Coady  
Years ago

Ok i missed tonights game as i was working (dont worry my seat had a bum on it ) I watched the game on fox and also thought the refs were average but, i think their were dodgy calls both ways it didnt look obvious that they were favouring a team, they were just bad all over the calls

Reply #222909 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

i have to agree...always will when bagging ref's, but these tools were exceptional last night...missed a shitload and i was 600km's away!

Reply #222913 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

I was talking to a former Olympian (Basketball) after the game and railed against the Refs. He stated that I was too much of a basketball purist and that the game was about entertainment not basketball.

Maybe that is another explanation for the continually falling attendances.

Reply #222922 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

That blonde haired fool was the worst - couldn't believe the number of no calls, or just wrong calls. I thought there couldn't be anybody worse than Hains, but he proved me wrong!

Reply #222923 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Didn't think the refs were noticeably bad. Would rather incidental contact be let go in some situations than have the game continually stopped.

The better team on the night won and I found it to be an entertaining game. Surprised to see people still complaining about the refs.

If they called every bit of contact, people would complain about it being netball or stopping and starting. If they let a bit go, people complain that it's rugby.

Reply #222924 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Isaac, there's nothing incidental about the physical molestation that Schenscher cops every single week, and what Cameron was being allowed to get away with last night was a joke.

I will agree that the non-calls on contact were at least consistent both ways.

Reply #222926 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

+1 on the molestation. Refs were utterly disgraceful last night, particularly the balding fella with short blondeish hair. Perhpas you're just conditioned to be used to it, Isaac? :)

Also, feet-shuffling/pivot-foot-changing was at epidemic proportions both ways. I'm sure I saw a crab dribble in there somewhere.

Reply #222927 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

At least Hoban came in and started pushing Cameron back.
Since they weren't calling the shoving then it was good to see someone giving it back to Pero.
And Pero started whinging to the refs about it ?????
What a moron!!!!
He had been shoving people around and setting illegal screens all game and when some one does it to him for 2 minutes he freaks out.

Hoban seems like he would be a good backup big in terms of bringing some attitude and physicallity.
Which the 36'ers really lack and seem to need considering what you can get away with on D.

Reply #222934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who were the refs?

Reply #222936 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

I thought the calls were all against the 36ers in the first half & evened up after that. There were even one or two calls that looked wrong that favoured us late in the game. Maybe the refs looked at the score sheet at half time.

It's unusual to see a team double the opposition in both points & fouls. In the second quarter we were leading 41-20 and the foul count was 12-6

Reply #222938 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not conditioned to ignore it, just watch the game and would rather see some contact ignored to achieve a more flowing game, especially if it's on the boards rather than a shooter.

The two non-calls I didn't like were Ballinger getted mugged across the arms at the Apollo end by Whitehead (I think), and then Burdon being almost tripped by a Blaze knee which led to easy points by Joyce, I think it was.

If everything was called, there'd be another subset of fans here saying "let the bigs play in the paint, stop calling every single touch".

I'm sure it happens at every venue, but it's easy to get sick of the home crowd whinging when a (likely) legitimate call doesn't go there way. e.g., charges on Grizzard and Ballinger looked correct to me (FWIW), yet people went nuts about both.

Reply #222939 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I'm voting +1 for Blondie and Haines being pathetic. Conditioned as I am to their lack of ability, last night was noticeably worse for mine, as I stated in the other Sixers v Blaze thread.

Agree with Isaac re:flow, but not at the expense of being consistent.

Reply #222943 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

I'm a little over bagging the refs. A lot of times, what looks like a foul to us may look different to the refs on ground level, and there's not really much that can be done after the call is made.

The worst one was the 24 second no-call. The ball was still in his hand as the clock went - no way should the shot have been counted.

Reply #222946 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

The refs were not great last night but apart from the blondish hair guy I thought they were much better last night . The blondish guy simply has no idea and made some real shockers as in jack toft post.
Re Schens getting mauled each week although it is wrong he has to get tougher and more aggressive.
They will do the same in NBA and europe but they will be much bigger and stronger. He had a huge height advantage last night which wasnt used to our advantage enough. Have not any stats but my perception how few defensive rebounds Schens takes considering his size etc. Miss a shot against other 7ft plus you dont get many 2 nd chances

Reply #222948 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

A few bad calls are frustrating. Like letting a guy carry, then call us for a foul, and a few after the 24seconds etc. But there will always be a few mistakes
It was letting Cameron do what he did , that was no good, at all. Don't think I'd go to a game with him playing and the refs letting it go.

Reply #222952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wouldn't be a sixers forum if there wasn't whingeing about the referees - it's getting very tiring.

Reply #222953 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

fwiw, my main issue with the refs were the non-calls against Maher and other ball-carriers getting deflowered while trying to bring the ball up the court, not so much the under-the-basket stuff, although that was blatant at times. I agree of course that there's a compromise to be found between calling every ticky-tack thing, netball-style, and allowing rank thuggery to go unchecked. I thought last night was way too far towards the latter.

The Ballinger arm-hack was particularly hilarious - you could hear the skin-on-skin arm-thwacking noise reverb throughout the stadium! I do agree that the two chargers on 36er players were correct, but I think most would have anyway - they only got the token parochial booing that happens whenever a call goes against us, as opposed to the "hey, that's wrong!" vehement DHD booing. From what I remember anyway, I could be mistaken.

I had an American friend with me who is a seasoned basketball watcher (NBA mostly, of course), and for him the standard of refereeing really soured the experience (his words - without my prompting). Not that he didn't enjoy it of course, but several times he remarked on how hackery was winning the day over skillful basketball.

Reply #222954 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

It wouldn't be Hoops if there wasn't an anonymous cowtard whinging about whinging Sixers fans! :P

Reply #222955 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Did you just label someone a mongoloid bovine? lol

Reply #222957 | Report this post

I am Mutley  
Years ago

I thought there was one, maybe two shot clock violations that were not called, from both teams.

Reply #222964 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

There is difference between letting the game flow and allowing moving illegal screens EVERY play.
Also it is kind of hard to rebound when someone is holding your singlet down!!!
If I can see the singlet being pulled away from the player's body from 20m away why can't the 3 refs see it from 5m????

It seems like some of the 36'ers have noticed and are starting to do the same things , ie Bruce, Holmes, Davidson, Hoban and Maher has started to push off his defender to make it easier to get free.

But is that the right solution???
For everyone to do illegal things to even it out.

Or should the refs be calling it early in the 1st Q so that the players adjust and play the game right.

This NEWNBL really needs a person in-charge of the Refs to give them direction and feedback, be it positive or negative.

Reply #222975 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

The NEWNBL really should look at going back to 2 refs instead of 3 to make them much more accountable. The move to 3 refs has shown a huge drop in refereeing standards in the NBL, with each of the refs standing back and waiting for the others to make the calls. Maybe with the cost saving of removing a ref they could use on educating/reviewing the other refs to improve the quality.

Reply #222976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the first 24 sec shot clock was just crazy, the blaze player launched the ball like a second after the clock went out and it still counted!

Reply #222978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously, they are there to ref for a reason.

Who do you sugguest to ref if not them.

Reply #222999 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Unless you have learnt how to Ref 3 man and 2 man, you probably shouldn't be trying to compare the two.

Not every incident on the court needs a whistle. The best thing with 3 man is it frees up one referee to focus on the off ball stuff and they control this with their voice.

Off ball sliding screen at both ends is causing who an advantage? If both teams are responding to the voice of the officials, then the game is flowing, it doesnt have to flow perfectly. If you want Basketball to be only played as per the strict guidelines of the rule book, best you re-write another edition without the Advantage v Disadvantage pages. Otherwise get each team to build robots, and program them with only the things you are allowed to do.

You can't travel at the elite level unless you beat a player whilst travelling. switching pivot feet on the same spot and not getting anywhere doesn't equal travel.

By the way, there is already a committee which guide the interpretations that officials use in the game. This committee is made up of Players, Coaches and 1 Referee. Obviously that is how the teams want to play.

Reply #223010 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Damn it. I hate it when people counter my arguments with valid and logical points. Now I have to think twice before I yell from my plastic seat of rage with relative impunity.

Reply #223015 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

For me FM it's the molesting , elbows , bumping
It gives Pero and Saville the advantage.
Ninnis did say that he likes it and we have to build up with weights, so we can give it back.....
Just not MY scene.

Reply #223018 | Report this post

Years ago

FM, I'm sorry but switching pivot feet on the spot is/should be a travel. Even though I may not blow past the defence I still have a distinct advantage if I can change my pivot foot when entering the ball into the post. Passing is all about creating angles and if I'm a defender putting major pressure on the ball after the catch, I'm not going to be too happy for the offence to 'travel' and release that pressure.

Reply #223024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1233, so im guessing if brett mahar took an extra step in the backcourt with no defence in that court and the ref blew a travel you would be calling out "Good call Ref"

Reply #223037 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"Hoban seems like he would be a good backup big in terms of bringing some attitude and physicallity.
Which the 36'ers really lack and seem to need considering what you can get away with on D."

Holmes did this all night while he was on Pero, and did well at it!! MUCH better than Hoban will

Reply #223076 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

1233, Sorry but Refsdon't write the rules nor do they have a say in how they should be applied on the court. Technical committees do.

As for Travel, it has to beat someone and I have been on the receiving end playing Korean or Philliphino teams who are taking 5 to 6 steps on a pivot with 3 changes atleast. That is the rules, that is the way FIBA want them applied, hence the game officials call it (in this case - Don't call it) that way.

Reply #223094 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:00 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754