Concerned Player
Years ago

Condition of Powerhouse courts

Last night playing in the reserves semi final I thought the condition of the courts were atrocious. Covered in dust and dirt it was tough to get a good grip on that surface. It was a serious injury waiting to happen. I find it hard to believe that SA's premier venue isnt kept in better condition especially for semi finals, even if it is reserves. Maybe BASA could use the money they save by not having player insurance to keep the courts in a reasonable condition. If someone did a serious injury and pursued BASA for compensation they probably wouldnt have a leg to stand on with the courts that slippery. I only hope they will clean them up for the ABL finals this weekend. A response from anyone from the powerhouse would be appreciated as to what they intend to do.

Topic #3903 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe that if an injury is caused due to faulty equipment. In this case it may be someone slips and knocks themself unconscious or breaks their teeth when slipping over etc. and it's deemed that it was due to the court surface or court equipment not being looked after, insurance can still be claimed.

The only thing that CAN'T be claimed on insurance now is things such as rolled ankles from landing on someones foot, broken wrists from taking charges incorrectly etc. Things that the stadium has no control over.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Sorry for taking it off topic, just wanted to see if my thoughts were correct or not.

Reply #45551 | Report this post

Concerned Player  
Years ago

Yeah i dont know the exact legal ins and outs, but it was dissapointing that the surface is in the condition it is. Everyone complains on the night but nothing ever seems to be done about it.

Reply #45555 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

What about a concerned party asking for the big dust broom and a damp towel and getting some exercise while doing it. I know this should not be the responsibility of spectators, but why not set the example and use initiative!!!???

Reply #45570 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

because you pay money to play on that court and the least they could do is have it up to scratch!

Its not like its the teltra dome or something!

Reply #45574 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

I have seen coaches from both teams make it aqn issue before games have started and the umpires have obliged and swept the surface. If it is expressed as a concern by either of the coaches, again, surely they can find someone on their bench who is happy to do it. Money is irrelevant.

Reply #45580 | Report this post

Concerned Player  
Years ago

Blazer you fail to see the point. Often what your'e suggesting does happen. However with limited time between games and the fees that we pay to play it is certainly not unreasonable to expect the stadium to have the courts at a reasonable standard. If someone injures themselves as a result and they get sued then i guess they will have to learn the hard way. Why cant the powerhouse take the INITIATIVE as im pretty sure they know they have games scheduled. Why would you be so defensive on this topic. Maybe YOU are the one responsible for having the courts cleaned and you're not doing the job!

Reply #45581 | Report this post

Bruce Northcote  
Years ago

I umpired the West v Woodville game last night, and at the first break (after being notified of the slippery floor by players) I swept the major court areas myself.

Talking to people after the game it was discovered that the retractible seating had been pushed back only recently, and we ASSUME that nobody associated with that task bothered to sweep the floor.

BASA should ensure that the floor is swept whenever the seats are moved.

Reply #45583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When I played as a kid, someone used to sweep the floor between each game. Does that still happen?

Reply #45585 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

I'm not missing the point. Bruce is on the money. Apart from ABA and NBL game nights, find a venue that does sweep between games at social or district ball. My point is that if we know it is a problem why not act to correct it. It may interrupt warmups, but I'm sure the players won't be too upset to see a Volunteer helping them/us out. That is where I will finish my opinion.

Reply #45588 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

BLAZER: open the stadium, turn on the lights, sweep the court, get the till ready, sell tickets & then play ball.

Whoever runs the stadium on game night should ensure the court is swept before play.

Reply #45593 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

If only it were that easy...

This is now completely off topic and I wasn't going to continue with it but, I agree with the original post. It was also mentioned that when the seats are retracted the surface should be swept, that answers the 1st post and any other questions regarding the surface.

I guess I am pointing out that instead of trying to point the finger and lay blame, accept that something needs to be done and do it. I may appear defensive but i can say that apart from being a player, I am not involved with BASA or the Dome.

This post goes against alot of my postings about being pro active and initiative but I just don't have any "spare" time to get as involved as i would like to. I'm sure there are other poster's who are of a similar opinion and thoughts and would like to be more involved also.

Thanks for the interest in this post.

Reply #45597 | Report this post

Concerned Player  
Years ago

I agree Nutwork. Its not rocket science. They should just do it.

Reply #45599 | Report this post

wish I could dunk  
Years ago

The sweeper might have been on holidays?

Reply #45615 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

you will notice an improvement once the 36ers start regularly on them again.

all the players trudge mud from the car park in which does not help.

if i knew where the broom was at the dome - i would use it

Reply #45647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I park the broom near the door for a quick take off after the games

Reply #45651 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for passing on the individual's concerns.

I have spoken to our cleaning contractor about the state of the floor and they have noticed excess dust accumulating on the floor over the past few weeks. At this stage we collectively do not know the reasoning for this.

Due to the excess dust, the cleaners have been using a wet scrubbing machine to clean the court each day rather than the normal operation of using the machine twice per week.

Please note this is the first instance of such feedback and that the Sixers train on the courts twice per day excluding Wednesday's and have not reported any issues with the surface of the courts.

We will continue to monitor the courts and seek feedback from the users of the venue.

Once again, thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Kind regards,
Douglas Barlow
Facilities Manager

Reply #45720 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

i passed your post onto the facilities manger concernedplayer i hope you didnt mind

above it the response i got

Reply #45721 | Report this post

Concerned Player  
Years ago

Thanks Thomo.
Much appreciated. Its good to see them being responsive to the issue..

Reply #45729 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:44 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754