Isaac
Years ago

36ers sign Shaun Bruce as Moore replacement

Might be a few wishing they'd spent up on an import, but this could be the best option they could get in before the cut-off?

Topic #44634 | Report this topic

anonymous  
Years ago

Bye bye finals Adelaide!

Reply #728389 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

I guess it stops people from clamouring for a replacement to be signed.

Underwhelming.

Reply #728391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Looking overseas". Oh dear.

Reply #728393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would've been better off going with what they have. Can't see adding Bruce as contributing anything significant, in fact could upset the apple cart to a degree this late in the season.

Reply #728394 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Joey would be a moron if he plays Sobey under 35 mins and give minutes to Bruce and/or Doyle. Kiss your finals chances goodbye.

Reply #728397 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I don't think Adelaide were going to make the finals anyway.

Reply #728399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that twitter link cant be correct

Reply #728405 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Well that is exciting news, sure to flood ticketing for home games - NOT. I assume it is a decision based on available $$ combined with the limited time available to qualify for the finals.

Reply #728408 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Whats the difference between Adam Doyle and Shaun Bruce???

Reply #728413 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

6 inches

Reply #728414 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Oh look, another cheapout. Sorry Sixers fans.

Reply #728419 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

2015-17, Bruce was useful for Cairns and Brisbane, but then dropped away in 2017-18. Not sure if that was on him or more coach/roster. Shooting percentages have never been great. He's never had a FG% above 40% for example.

Probably doesn't need to shoot with the roster around him, but the 36ers need too many things to go right for this to all work out. Need more from DJ, Drmic and Deng to fire in their minutes, Wiley to remember plays, etc.

First two games of this round will be interesting. By Saturday afternoon, 10-10 Adelaide will have faced 12-8 Perth and 13-7 Sydney. Could be barely out of third.

Reply #728420 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Lol good answer Big Sexy! I guess this ends the conspiracy theories that Moore was shut down to allow the Sixers to sign a star import point guard.

Doesn't move the needle much, but not much they can do with only a few days left to sign someone.

The positive side of this is that Drmic should get more minutes at the 2 to develop his game. Would be nice if Joey drew up a few plays to get him better looks too, but I'm not holding my breath!

Reply #728421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can we have another team in Adelaide to support i am done with this mob

Reply #728423 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Was Aaron not available?

Reply #728426 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Wow Brucey will have to drive his MG past Hungry Jack's wearing his First Ever gear to the Chemist Warehouse and buy some angry pills to fit into Joey's squad!

Reply #728431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least this means Cairns won't announce him as a sneaky DKD replacement

Reply #728434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Solid player, should be on a roster, he will go well.

Reply #728436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doyley will stand tall.

Reply #728437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thunder Jam Bruce won't need any pills. He will fit right in with this group.

Reply #728443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not even the best point guard from Horsham!

Reply #728471 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He's not even the best point guard in his family.

Reply #728473 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

"Joey would be a moron if he plays Sobey under 35 mins and give minutes to Bruce and/or Doyle. Kiss your finals chances goodbye."

Not if he cant buy a bucket and turns the ball over way too many times, as he has shown a couple times this season.

Reply #728475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shaun Bruce cheap
Sixers cannot afford another import .
Just like Perth can not afford to get a 3rd import.

If joey gives him some court time he will pass and have the odd 3 point play

Reply #728490 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Add in Sydney not replacing Wear and Brisbane bringing in an average player. Clubs aren't spending for three stars - perhaps it's time to go back to two imports per team.

Reply #728503 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Perthworld actually makes sense in reply #728503.
Three imports is rewarding mediocrity I reckon.

Reply #728505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld, well said. Need either a bigger, better TV deal which gives the teams more $$ to recruit with, or

Provide more opportunities for local players - the nbl remains an important career destination, pathway and inspiration for young local players.

Reply #728507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What standard does the league need to be at in order to garner enough support, sponsorship, exposure in order to have a solid future?

Is it at that level now? Imports are intended to raise the standard and marketability of the league.

Do the 3rd imports help or hinder?

Reply #728509 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

The comments regarding whether the 3rd import spot should be axed is really worth thinking about.

Most 3rd imports could be replaced by locals IMHO. Being a banana bender, I follow the QBL closley. In all honesty, there are several players in that comp alone who could fill the few 3rd imports we are talking, 9 in all. Not saying that QBL fill those 9 spots. But you have (ex)SEABL players and, of course, the other state leagues.

I admit that I am taken by the :hoopla: round imports, but reality is that Aussies could fill those rolls adequately. The 3rd import is no longer raising the general standards ...yadda yadda! And, I am not just being all lovey dovey for Aussies. It makes sense. Certainly sensible line of thought.

PS. May even free up some $$$$ to offer Aussies chasing those same dollars O/seas.

PPS. Why are "our" European based players not being offered those roles, for eg? Is it that they get even more than 3rd imports here?

Reply #728522 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

If Bruce is the best "spare" Aussie around, how in the hell are the Phoenix going to find 8 Aussies?

Reply #728527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Free Agency. US Colleges. G-League (Creek). Europe.

Bruce is likely more the best "spare" Aussie for what the 36ers need. a PG. Not necessarily the best overall.

Reply #728531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne have three quality imports, no other side has, most third imports are no better than Aussie players. Make the lists ten again, two imports and the extra American like Bowen from Sydney.

Reply #728532 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

PPS. Why are "our" European based players not being offered those roles, for eg? Is it that they get even more than 3rd imports here?
Of course. They're probably getting paid more than all/most of the best locals here get paid. Third imports (outside of maybe Melbourne's) are generally very cheap.

And as #728531 said, Bruce might be the best local PG available at short notice that can suit up by the weekend. Or there might be others that haven't been training or who are on holiday or whatever. Short timeframes always shrink a field.

Reply #728533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ robt - curious as to which locals you think from the QBL could legitimately fill a solid role on an NBL squad.

Talented league no doubt, but I don't think the talent pool of locals not already in the NBL is that strong.

Yardstick is Mitch Young. killed it this season in QBL but struggling to find his game again in the NBL despite vast opportunity.

Reply #728534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just naturalise kendle and ray turner to more aussie players

Reply #728535 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'm fine with 2 imports, I'm just not sure it will have the intended effect. Isaac's point re: 3rd imports and their wages is a good one, and I think with the Shaun Bruces of the league at that spot the money will start to dry up, and I think it's more likely teams will carry development player-level guys rather than fork out more cash for a Bruce on the end of the bench, who will probably be wanting to earn more playing ball than he could get doing whatever else he is qualified to do for a living. More teams is the better solution, which we are on track for (assuming no teams fold...).

Reply #728536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitch Young is probably not the best example, he's short for a five man where in the nbl the fives are now huge, but guards would be a chance. Issac Turner played in seabl last season as import could’ve fitted Joey system very well. There are others in the lower leagues and some of the dp players could make it given the chance. Sobey, Goulding, Cadee are examples. Are these types of players missing out now due to the third import.

Reply #728543 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

Saving $$$s on Bruce was a great first step, but if the club is really serious about tanking this season, we need to run Teys more.

Do it for the draft picks.

Reply #728547 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wilson at the Kings is possibly an example of circumstance (Adnam) rather than import, but he had a strong off-season and I was expecting him to get solid minutes. The extra team will absolute provide more opportunities.

I've said it a few times, but I'd peg the third import to some requirement such as having played SEABL/similar in the recent off-season. Or a Next Gen/Star/whatever player uses a third import spot.

Reply #728553 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Agreed Isaac.

Let the 3rd import be a 'local' import who has played atleast 20 games in Aus/NZ somewhere before, they will be cheap and will be keen for a shot, and sometimes you will find a Conklin, Redhage type too.

I also would get rid of the next stars program, talent wise the NBL would be better off giving teams the extra 100k toe either top up their star imports salary to help retain them, or to spend the 100k on the best import under 23 or straight out of college they can find, we would potentially get more Rotnei Clarkes, Kevin Lisch, Torrey Craig, Scottie Wilbekin types for a season, and even if we dont, they will likely sign a guy better than Ferguson or Bowen.

Reply #728560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could always move games back to 48 minutes and give more opportunity for bench development.

Reply #728571 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I just don't see the reasoning behind a third import supposedly keeping good locals out of the league. As it is right now every team has 1 or 2 locals on their rosters who aren't NBL standard players.

Adelaide - Adam Doyle
Perth - Rhys Vague
Cairns - Mitch Young
Brisbane - Makoto Hiejima (replaced by import)
Sydney - Tom Wilson, Deng Acouth (replaced by import)
Illawarra - Marshall Nelson, Kevin White (possibly)
Melbourne - Dan Trist, Tohi Smith-Milner (possibly)
New Zealand - Jordan Mgatai, Majok Majok (possibly)

With the league expanding next season there will be opportunities for a further 8 locals most of which weren't deemed NBL standard by teams this season.

Reply #728573 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Big call on Trist, IMO. I think he's NBL standard from glimpses I've seen, just not what United need at the moment. Throw him on the Taipans and he's scoring in double digits I think... probably giving up double digits too, sure, but not alone there.

Wilson was getting spot minutes pre-injury, but that well and truly pushed him out of the rotation. Hard to say if he's NBL standard or not but he had some decent showings pre-season.

Reply #728576 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Dan Trist is probably the most disappointing on Zodiacs list. While some others are clearly minimum salary guys.

Reply #728577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree 100% with Isaac, most the third imports running around are not better than some players from seabl imports or locals. After two seasons playing in Australia should qualify for third import spot.
Melbourne is the exception to the rule re imports, there Australian players are cheaper, Barlow being a good example, wouldn't have been on muck coin and came up big this season. Pledger probably similar.

Reply #728584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's Wilson and Trist's own fault for signing with a team like that. If you're dominating the SEABL why wouldn't you go to a team where you can get minutes like the Hawks or Cairns and develop yourself and become an NBL player, instead they got suckered into signing with the big market team and now get no minutes.

Grida is a great example, wasn't putting up big scores in the SEABL but now has his chance with good rookie mins at the Hawks.

Maybe a lesson for the future players.

Reply #728587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nbl is a league for mature bodies and minds.

Many younger players need time to adjust up to that standard (and some just don't make it).

AFL lists 'carry' numerous younger players for 2,3,4 years while they develop.

Now that BA and BV have undermined SEABL, there will be an even bigger gap between the best underpinning league (Vic Elite) and the national league.

Reply #728611 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Not many of the third imports playing NBL make a real impact.

Reply #728613 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

For those who think 3rd imports dont work

What Aussie who currently isnt in the NBL or playing professionally elsewhere , i.e currently available could come in on a minimal salary and do better than most 3rd imports

ie Ramone Moore, Jeremy Kendle, Devon Hall, DJ Kennedy, Ray Turner, Cedric Jackson, A Moore this season

Apart from Kennedy at Melbourne and maybe Hall and Jackson, most of these guys would be on cheap deals.

Like i get that some of those imports are not very good but still there isnt an Aussie missing out on pro basketball who could come in and do better

For example, Cooke got bagged at Perth last year, but he is still better than Jervis, Hire, Vague from this years team.

Reply #728634 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Admission. Replies to my comments asked which locals are good enough to rplace 3rd imports.

Well, I had a look. Went to seasons stats and tried to find some possibilities.

Got to admit, found no-one better.

A couple who may be just about good enough, so in other words, sorry, was wrong about QBL.

Some damn good imports though who may slip into that other qualification re already playing here. Wonder why Bozeman is never spoken about.

Reply #728660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know where I could buy a Shaun Bruce jersey? Loved Aaron Bruce, would like to complete my set.

Reply #728666 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Yea exactly, there are some imports there that would be better than some Aussies in the NBL.

From a talent perspective i am all for allowing more imports not less,

I wonder if they say should go 4 imports, but 1 of them has to have played atleast 20 games in NZ NBL, Aussie State league (QBL, SEABL, etc)

Essentially replacing the 11th men on rosters with an import, for the same money, which is without a doubt a talent upgrade, assuming teams can identify correctly who the best imports from NZ, QBL, etc are.

Reply #728669 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:49 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754