KET
Years ago

Kings New Logo

The Sydney Kings would have been forced to fork out $50,000 a season to the Opera House Trust to keep the famous global landmark on their logo.

The Kings' previous fee was $1000 a season when it was originally registered in 2010, but this has changed after the NBL moved away from Basketball Australia to a private ownership model, forcing the Trust to significantly increase its licencing fee.

https://www.news.com.au/news/nbl-a-new-50000-licensing-fee-was-too-much-for-the-sydney-kings-who-now-need-a-new-logo/news-story/55c98d418e39fddfe31963f8e9d46962

Topic #47494 | Report this topic

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I find it hilarious that $50k is too much to continue their iconic brand, but they are happy to give equity to Bogut as well as pay overs for Bogut and Ware (who was the highest paid import last year, more than Cotton, Trimble, Hopson, Machado, Patterson and Oliver).

Then again I don't mind if Sydney want to lose part of their branding.

Go Smith.

Reply #814507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not certain Ware or Bogut salary got anything to do with having to find $50g every year to keep the old logo. It seems pretty smart to me. At least the highest paid player now is Cotton so you will have to find something else to complain about.

As far as Smith goes at least he’s got funds to pay players and put on a good product, if most other clubs had a Smith the league would be a lot better.

Reply #814510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith has said on Twitter that club logos are owned by the league and he had nothing to do with this decision. Good call blaming him though LoveBroker.

Reply #814512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love broker you absolute dickhead!
NBL owns logos!

Reply #814519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

StupidityBroker more like it

Reply #814520 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Luckily here in Perth we don't have any iconic buildings to feature in a logo, just a try-hard bell tower.

Reply #814522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much will Kings end up having to pay to golden State Warriors for their new blatant rip off logo?

Reply #814523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If most other clubs had a Smith, we'd have a league full of sore losers who forfeit grand finals because they're losing.

Reply #814524 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Smith claiming that it was NBL decision but refused to say whether he he had the option to pay the money to keep the logo.

NBL may own the logo but I doubt they'd force a team to rebrand without discussion.

Reply #814525 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Survey harbour bridge doesn't look like Golden Gate Bridge/Oakland bridge so nothing?

Reply #814526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings approached Violet Crumbles management with a view to incorporating the iconic chocolate bar manufacturers as part of logo but they didn't want to be associated with such an underperforming franchise.

Reply #814529 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Smith quote for those interested - on Twitter:

Reply #814532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here is the online article.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/nbl-a-new-50000-licensing-fee-was-too-much-for-the-sydney-kings-who-now-need-a-new-logo/news-story/55c98d418e39fddfe31963f8e9d46962

Reply #814533 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Read the comments on that tweet, someone asks him if he had the option to pay it which he refused to answer, he replies... but with a smart ass comment.

Reply #814544 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Did not read the articles so hope I'm not being repetitious:

My priorities would probably be towards putting my money into my team rather than my logo. My logo won't win me too many games!

If it's a choice between Bogurt/Ware or logo-feature, I'm putting a cheaper logo-feature on my players. Bogurt may even pose as the logo-feature, he is (nearly) an Aussie icon, no?

Reply #814545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wether he had the option or didn't is irrelevant, why would anyone with half a brain pay 50g a year for a symbol when you can change it and pay nothing.

Reply #814546 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Its more that he blaming the league. You can blame the Opera house trust for upping the price but its not the leagues fault if the owner doesn't want to fork out to keep his brand.

Reply #814551 | Report this post

Sourbroker  
Years ago

It's called brand recall. Pivotal in marketing.

Reply #814552 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Read the comments on that tweet, someone asks him if he had the option to pay it which he refused to answer, he replies... but with a smart ass comment.

This from the guy who paid $1mil for a billboard last season. He's clearly applying the breaks on spending after being taught a lesson that brute force spending doesn't guarantee you a title.

Reply #814553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do people sprout off garbage as fact when its not. The Kings allegedly spent $1mill on outdoor advertising, bus? during the season.

Reply #814565 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What? They spent a million dollars on billboard advertising alone.

Reply #814566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What? They spent a million dollars on billboard advertising alone."

Lol. They did not

Reply #814582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The scariest part is the Kings might end up with a logo as amateur as the Wildcats logo. They definitely paid a an employee's 13 year old kid $50 for that eyesore.

Reply #814589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a poor attempt at click bait

Reply #814590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld then perpetuares the myth. "This from the guy who paid $1mil for a billboard last season." Seriously? Douche.

Reply #814593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Melbourne four be toos hate the sydney owner so never gonna pay it.

Reply #814594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney Kings owner Paul Smith, who sold sports consultancy Repucom in a $US195m deal in 2016, says he will lose several million dollars this year.

"But we are investing and can handle it," Smith says. “We needed to do that to get the fans back to the Kings. We even spent $1m this year on a billboard advertising campaign, but we think that worked. It was probably worth $3m-$4m in exposure for us."

Reply #814597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Possible indication of the new logo direction?

https://www.nblstore.com.au/collections/sydney-kings/products/sydney-kings-20-21-icon-lifestyle-tee

Reply #814599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

599, looks just like Golden State's logo to me?

Reply #814601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very similar to this GSW alternate.

https://www.cleanpng.com/png-golden-state-warriors-nba-oklahoma-city-thunder-ba-7208757/

Aside from the fact it's a fairly obvious rip off, it actually looks really good.

Reply #814602 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I've been sitting on this for a while to let the anon(s) make fools of themselves:

Sydney Kings owner Paul Smith, who sold sports consultancy Repucom in a $US195m deal in 2016, says he will lose several million dollars this year.

"But we are investing and can handle it," Smith says. “We needed to do that to get the fans back to the Kings. We even spent $1m this year on a billboard advertising campaign, but we think that worked.

I await my apology.

Reply #814607 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/basketball/nbl-riding-wave-of-popularity-but-financial-gains-are-slow-to-follow/news-story/0c50fd4d805b86442a870b3b3a9947c6

Enjoy.

Reply #814608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there a point? It had already been posted.

Reply #814609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You will be waiting a long time for your apology, your reputation doesn't help Perthworld.

Plus who actually cares.

Reply #814610 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Why do people sprout off garbage as fact when its not. The Kings allegedly spent $1mill on outdoor advertising, bus? during the season.

Lol. They did not

Perthworld then perpetuares the myth. "This from the guy who paid $1mil for a billboard last season." Seriously? Douche.

Maybe do a quick fact check before sprouting off garbage next time, douche!

Reply #814611 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

inb4 Harbour Bridge Trust wants $50K.

Reply #814613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You post heaps Perthworld, perhaps spend more time with partner and family.

Reply #814614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld the person above said ""This from the guy who paid $1mil for a billboard last season." Get it a BILLBOARD, not a billboard campaign. Massive dirrefence. No need for fact checking just the ability to comprehend.

Reply #814616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You believe everything you read on the internet Perthworld. If you actually believe the Kings had a marketing budget big enough to spend $1m on a billboard advertising campaign you're even dumber than your posts on this forum make you look.

Smith’s job is to make the Kings look a lot bigger than they are.

Reply #814619 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Well if Paul Smith is a liar then he has form, like during the Grand Final series.

Reply #814620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watch this space with Smith. Interesting times ahead. The Kings could become a lot bigger than they alreay are.

Reply #814626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One day maybe 3% of Sydney people will know who they are instead of the 2% that do now

Reply #814628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember how welll the league did without the Kings? I do.

Reply #814633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope.

Reply #814638 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

One day maybe 3% of Sydney people will know who they are instead of the 2% that do now

Ouch. Harsh but so very true.

Reply #814651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One day, the rest of Australia will realise there is a city out west called Perth, and Give a shit!

Reply #814687 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Wasn't it Sydney that had the biggest crowd in nbl history? Seems like Smith is doing pretty good.

Reply #814690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That probably had more to do with Lamelo Ball.

Reply #814691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't see any other teams pulling sell-out crowds against LaMelo.

Reply #814694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith knows and understands the sports space better than any of the current NBL staff or other owners so happy to back him in on understanding the fans/market landscape in Sydney.

Smith as the owner of the Hawks would have been a massive boon for the league but its clear now head office want to be the only ones that own or have shares in multiple clubs.

Reply #814702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Six teams had their biggest crowds of the season when lamelo played there.

How does Smith understand the sports space? What does that even mean?

Reply #814705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith made the bet part of $250M AUD from sports so pretty strong case to say he knows more.

LaMelo got crowds everywhere but in Illawarra, because they knew his game and team where trash!

Reply #814728 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Smith being an eccentric person with sometimes questionable tweets aside, I think the Kings have done well the last few years.

Hopefully the Hawks ownership is strong, has longevity, puts additional capital and diversity of ownership into the NBL.

It's not ideal having a few owners taking control of multiple teams. I understand the NBL/LK doing it to establish new teams, however the aim as best possible ought to be to divest to owners with capital not invested into other NBL sides.

Reply #814730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Smith knows more about sports"
"How so?"
"Smith made money"

Oh OK, good answer.

Can you provide an example of something specific he has done in the past couple of years that really shows he has a solid understanding of sports? Because all I've seen is a narcissistic child who complains the loudest when things don't go his way, and has tried to make the league look foolish on more than one occasion.

Reply #814733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You did note the kings where a basket case and basically have been running insolvent since the mid 90's

Reply #814735 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Can you provide an example of something specific he has done in the past couple of years that really shows he has a solid understanding of sports? Because all I've seen is a narcissistic child who complains the loudest when things don't go his way, and has tried to make the league look foolish on more than one occasion.

I too eagerly await an example.

Reply #814753 | Report this post

Logical  
Years ago

Personally, the fact that Smith's prior company changed the way sports teams, leagues and sponsors define value and monetise their properties, and then sold it for what it he shows he knows sports.

Reply #814758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So why is it a requirment to know sport to own a team, any code?

Reply #814759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings may be OK with their original logo. Swans have a new 'leaked' one.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/swans-to-launch-new-logo-but-not-because-of-opera-house-dispute-20201106-p56c4k.html

Reply #820398 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:38 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754