Anonymous
Years ago

Shyla Heal Traded/Waived

Chicago Sky traded to Dallas for Dana Evans (and some pick related stuff) and waived straight away.

WNBA is a very cut throat league...

A team would be wise to pick her up off waivers.

Must of been a very rough start for her with the Sky for her to make this move.

Topic #48648 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I should have said for "them" to make this move in the last sentence.

Reply #850976 | Report this post

Leni  
Years ago

Does anyone know why she was late to arrive in Chicago? Was it COVID related travel difficulties or something else? Just wondering if a full training camp may have benefitted Shyla in the adjustment to the league.

Reply #850977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Visa related

Reply #850979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She's not ready for the W and no one is picking her up. Dallas aren’t exactly setting the world on fire and they immediately waived her. They’ve all seen enough to know that there’s nothing (at that level) behind the hype. It’s over, she’s coming home. Only interesting thing now will be how Hammer tries to spin it

Reply #850980 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Like many the hype over values ability when the spin team get behind something / someone

She's young , she certainly wasn’t up to the standard of the WNBA plus the WNBA isn’t the B all and end all, if a player wants to make basketball their career lots of other avenues
She will be back on the hype spin wheel playing under her father, he will make sure of that ... feel for the other players at Sydney though , it will be Shyla and the flames .

Reply #850981 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

How the heck does this happen so soon to a #8 pick

Also, if she's good enough to average 25 and 7 in WNBL, why is she struggling so badly

Reply #850982 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Hope her interfering dad wasn't the cause of this, demanding more court time.
As it does seem very odd to cut a #8 pick a few weeks in and no one else picks her up .

Heal would be wanting her to start in his mindset lol

Do feel for the kid though, tough outcome especially after all the media attention she received , now to have to face the fall out .

Reply #850985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many players in the WNBL are currently in the WNBA??

3? that tells you how she could do so well. Shame on all those people Hyping her up. Anyone who knows basketball knew this would happen.

Reply #850987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She has to be a pg in that league at her size and she's not a leader. She’s a scorer. We saw Melbourne take her out of games because she has length & speed. Every guard in the W (pretty much) has length & speed, so she’s being guarded by a Jade Melbourne type every time. Plus she can’t defend well, not even in the WNBL, certainly not at that level.

She’s nowhere near it for mine but would do well in Europe. Nicole Romeo Is a small scoring guard and has had a good career in Europe

Reply #850988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Hope her interfering dad wasn't the cause of this, demanding more court time."

Courttime wasn't the issue, she got plenty

Reply #850989 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Saw that one coming.

So if Heal can't at least become a steady backup she might find herself in the very rare situation of being a top 10 draft pick who gets cut before the end of their first season.

Roster limits these days are such that teams just can't afford to carry players for experience in the hope that they develop on the run. You've got to at least be able to hold your own for a little bit when called on, and unfortunately Heal was eaten alive every time she checked in.

Reply #850990 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Years ago

Brutal.

Reply #850992 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Years ago

Interesting move after only 4 games....if you wanted / were expecting someone to come in a contribute straight away then why burn your top 10 pick on a 19 year old? At 19 and after missing training camp surely there is an appreciation that it may take some time for her to find her feet? Strange that they didn't persist with her for at least half of the year. At her age and after such a strong WNBL season, I think the hype surrounding her was deserved.

Best of luck to her, looks like she will be heading back to Aus.

Reply #850996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Romeo is a distributor though, a real pg for Italy. but came to Italy late on to prove herself and made the n,t vey late, at like 28 y.o
At 32 y.o, Won't be much longer till she’s gone though with corangelo, Attura, dottos etc etc push her out completely.

Evans thought to go high in draft I dont think will be great either and brown hasnt been good for a couple of years.
Wade will be gone, guys an absolute buffoon of a coach. Listen to him in press conference, he complains constantly.

Heal won’t be a good wnba player but she will be a pretty good fiba player imo. She may not be australias starting pg in a few years but certainly 1 of the other 2. She will come back for a couple years, maybe head to europe and play in a good league like Spain or France or Russia.
Only 3 wnba pgs at the olympic level, a few from Asia, Africa, South America and several in European clubs.

Reply #850998 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I don't know anything about the WNBA, but was shocked when I heard this. Hopefully this doesn't really effect her mentally, especially how young she is. Initial thought to be honest was what's her dad done now. :/

Reply #850999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if you go back and watch the games a couple of things happened. She drove in to get fouled with about 15 secs left on the clock and got fouled which is a not done over there, not in the spirit of the game and the other players weren't happy; it is seen as selfish. I also saw one team mate pass over her head to another taller team mate who then ran the floor with shyla not knowing what to do. Also a time where she went to high five a team mate who turned her back on her. The last two weren't her fault but were certainly a reflection of perhaps not fitting into the culture there. The father has banged on about not needing college to play in the W, well now we know they won't pick anyone unless they evaluate them properly. Brondello's husband is assistant coach, he may be next as you would think he had some influence in the pick

Reply #851001 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I reckon Melbourne probably looked at Heal and thought how good is this, who needs college so she pulled out of college and signed an agent. Cant go back now to NCAA as she has an agent

Reply #851002 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"f you go back and watch the games a couple of things happened. She drove in to get fouled with about 15 secs left on the clock and got fouled which is a not done over there, not in the spirit of the game and the other players weren't happy; it is seen as selfish. I also saw one team mate pass over her head to another taller team mate who then ran the floor with shyla not knowing what to do."

Sounds like a terrible culture in the WNBA then? That sounds like Bullying to me.

Reply #851003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne is better than heal though, height, speed, passing, defense.
Heal more offense, better shooter. Pretty comparable ball handling soon.

Reply #851004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heals left hand needs alot of work.

Reply #851005 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

^ I hope that's not how it went down.

--

Random extra wrinkle to this morning's news is that the other 1st round draftee on Chicago's roster - Stephanie Watts - was also waived. Watts of course also being the import that the Sydney Flames signed for the upcoming WNBL season.
So Watts, Shyla & Shane can look forward to a season-long bitchfest about the Chicago Sky in between their basketball commitments. Should be a fun vibe.

Reply #851006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She was carrying alot with her left, it goes under and over and her hesitation makes it look worse.

Reply #851008 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sounds like a terrible culture in the WNBA then? That sounds like Bullying to me

I think youre right, but it is more about knowing that you are a rookie and fitting into the system as they have all done their time following the unwritten league and team rules unless you come in as a franchise player like Sabrina

Reply #851009 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

#009 that would be the dad telling her to score as much as possible and essentially run the show, she should have been told to take her time and just fit into the system and do the other stuff at training to show what you can do.

Reply #851010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal said they cut her at the airport before the road trip. Ooof.

Reply #851011 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

So Watts, Shyla & Shane can look forward to a season-long bitchfest about the Chicago Sky in between their basketball commitments.

So we know the coach will be telling these two to score as much as possible and I think this proves that it isn't just about scoring. Can you imagine the us vs them diatribe he will come up with

Reply #851012 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Heal said they cut her at the airport before the road trip. Ooof.

That was when he was thinking she was going to Dallas, she got waived there an hour later. Aussies are piss ants over there

Reply #851013 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

Had a look at some footage of Evans with Louisville to get an idea as to her qualities. Evans is a quality passer who looks to leverage the team's bigs. And she appears to have good situational awareness.

Reply #851014 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

A lot of mock drafts actually had Evans going to the Sky with their Shyla Heal pick

Reply #851015 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Also, if she's good enough to average 25 and 7 in WNBL, why is she struggling so badly

One game of her's I had on and when I saw she came on the court watched her intently and she stuffed up at both ends on about three straight possessions with turnovers and not even being able to get the team in their sets.

I thought people might've been overreacting to how much she was struggling because of who her dad was but no in the 60 seconds of play I saw live she looked way out of her league. Too short, too slow, too indecisive.

For her sake I hope this doesn't hurt her too much she's clearly not ready for WNBA yet.

Reply #851016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should have stashed heal, picked up Evans in the first place.p, not watts.

Reply #851017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Evans is 3 years older

Reply #851018 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Luuuc, where was that discussion? Interesting situation and would like to read more.

Edit: Nevermind - found it here.

Reply #851019 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Had a look at some footage of Evans with Louisville to get an idea as to her qualities. Evans is a quality passer who looks to leverage the team's bigs. And she appears to have good situational awareness.

Evans was the best player for Louisville in a stacked team, all the guards over there at Heal's size are lightning quick, not sure why we thought that someone at Shyla's speed and height would thrive, no doubt she played selfish probably because her dad told her to score, should have just been trying to win over team mates by assists; not sure of her stats but she didn't have many. If you are going to take step back 3's on the your first PG possession they better go in or you look selfish. If they go in and she gets on a roll as we know she can it is probably a different story. Definitely the wrong team for her, body language of team mates towards her was horrible

Reply #851020 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Evans is also from Chicago so cultural fit is assured. The fact that Dallas just waived her and Chicago gave away a first rounder next season to get rid of her says they wanted her out; not sure team mates gave her a chance

Reply #851021 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"A lot of mock drafts actually had Evans going to the Sky with their Shyla Heal pick"

I recall seeing Sky fans on twitter bemused when it didnt go down like that

Reply #851022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal 01 5'6 168cm - Melbourne 02 5’9 176cm

Imo, Current I’d say

Scoring 8/10 - 6/10
Shooting 8/10 - 6/10
Defense 5/10 - 7/10
Speed 5/10 - 9/10
Ball handling - 7/10 - 7/10
Ball IQ 6/10 - 8/10p

39/60 v 43/60

I think also Melbourne’s defense will get slightly better and her ball handling, looks more natural either hand.

Anyone else agree/disagree?

Reply #851024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know about bullying. It’s professional sports, all of those players are in their mid to late 20’s, they’ve watched Lexie Brown get cut in early May to make room for a small, cocky 19 year old white girl from a foreign country, who they no doubt saw as privileged. She starts playing and they would’ve been like Wtaf?? Lexie gets cut for this, are you kidding me?? And, I think that’s fair enough.

Reply #851025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal went two years to early , to much of a rush , needed time to play hard games against legit opposition either here ( with imports ) or in the Euro Leagues.

Hope she gets another chance i the future.

Reply #851026 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I don't know about bullying. It's professional sports, all of those players are in their mid to late 20’s, they’ve watched Lexie Brown get cut in early May to make room for a small, cocky 19 year old white girl from a foreign country, who they no doubt saw as privileged. She starts playing and they would’ve been like Wtaf?? Lexie gets cut for this, are you kidding me?? And, I think that’s fair enough.

Agree totally that is what they were thinking. pretty sure local fans would have said the same thing in numbers. and she is a confident kid so they wouldn't like that.

Reply #851027 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Heal 01 5'6 168cm - Melbourne 02 5'9 176cm

Imo, Current I’d say

Scoring 8/10 - 6/10
Shooting 8/10 - 6/10
Defense 5/10 - 7/10
Speed 5/10 - 9/10
Ball handling - 7/10 - 7/10
Ball IQ 6/10 - 8/10p

39/60 v 43/60

I think also Melbourne’s defense will get slightly better and her ball handling, looks more natural either hand.

Anyone else agree/disagree?

Jades dad is a constant in these threads. Give it 4 years and learn from what is happening to Shyla. She couldn't even get it done at u20 nationals, you are delusional, wait for 3 seasons of full scouting. Experienced WNBA player Steph Talbot had Melbourne fouled out in 10 minutes by posting her up. Jade is fast here but not fast compared to WNBA where players who are 6ft4 have the same skill sets. Kia Nurse got cut for gods sake. go away and do the work

Reply #851028 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Seems like poor FO management - if you knew she may be under-developed, don't you hold onto her draft rights and let her play in the WNBL for another season or two? The fact they didn't play the draft-and-stash route and assume she'd be ready to play says a lot.

Reply #851029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bottom line is US College prepares you for the WNBA or any league,
not going to the NCAA has cost Heal despite what her dad says about College.

Melbourne not going to College will now cost her in the future.....

who made this decision what were they thinking....

Reply #851030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't help when Dad advertised she has been playing professionally since she was 14. That was a whole lot of BS.

Reply #851031 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

No.
Once a player is drafted to the WNBA it is up to the player what to do next.

The player can choose to stay home and develop, in which case the team retains their rights. Or they can choose to show up ready for duty, in which case all the roster restrictions, salary cap, etc. comes into play.
Shyla & her management chose to go, and that put Chicago into a tricky spot if she wasn't ready yet.

Chicago are under a bit of pressure right now because they went all out for a title shot this year, and then copped injuries to 2 star players, and lost another key player temporarily to the 3x3 qualifiers. That actually bought Shyla additional playing opportunities.
But the team kept losing. Now all those players are returning from injury & travel, and the roster squeeze is on.

Reply #851032 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

(that was a response to Pyro)

Reply #851033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

College prepares you for wnba, lol have you seen how many players have been cut?

Out of 36 draft picks every year, less than 5 play more than 4 years in the wnba.
This year only 10-11 remain and will likely be less than 9 by seasons end. Third to a Half of those will not be resigned next season.
It's a 12 team league ffs and it will get worse unless they expand.

The draft should match the league. 36 picks.., should be 24 max.

Reply #851034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who made this decision what were they thinking....

College doesn't prepare you for anything , it’s a case of if your face fits your in
Check it exactly how many from college end up in the WNBA and look at who they are
College players play against kids their own age , sit on benches for years if they aren’t from the USA high school system
The standard of college ball isn’t good, it’s the hype that it brings that brainwashes people into thinking it’s a great system

Reply #851035 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Keep in mind that this year was one of the all time weak draft classes.
Also note that quite a few players sat out last year's wubble season.

It was always going to be tough for any rookie to crack a spot in the WNBA this season. Let alone a 19 year old.

Reply #851036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget the amount of internationals that opted out to prepare for eurobasket and olympics.

Reply #851037 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

College doesn't prepare you for anything , it's a case of if your face fits your in
Check it exactly how many from college end up in the WNBA and look at who they are
College players play against kids their own age , sit on benches for years if they aren’t from the USA high school system
The standard of college ball isn’t good, it’s the hype that it brings that brainwashes people into thinking it’s a great system

What a load of crap, check the WNBA rookies of the year last year UCOnn Guard and will be the 6ft1 Onyenwere this year. You have no idea, most aussie girls go straight over and their D is no where near good enough because the don't need it here.
So again don't sprout College doesn't matter, the ones that are kept are college kids, if you perform as a stand out in the elite 8 etc you get kept, simple as that

Reply #851038 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Bit of history being rewritten in this thread - not sure anyone had her being waived weeks in when the draft happened. WNBA is certainly a brutal business. Lots of rookies in the NBA clearly aren't ready but get to hang around and play G-league for a couple of years.

Reply #851039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ 851305

I have just cracked a rib, you absolute tosser, sorry your correct college doesn't prepare you for anything, like travel, training everyday, 30 game seasons, packed crowds, ESP, the best players from high school...... not like our competitions (under 20 national boring ball)

College player DO NOT PLAY agains t kids their own age they range from 19 to 23. you need to use google and do some research.....

how many WNBA players have come through college as opposed to not????

I would put 5k in cash that the best college team selected would beat the shit out of any WNBL team, anytime....

PUFF PUFF Inhale some more on what you are smoking...

College doesn't prepare you for anything , it's a case of if your face fits your in

Reply #851041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you are not a top 5 pick, chances of staying in the league are like 15% for the next 5. Less than 5% the next 5. Almost 0% picks 15-20.

Reply #851042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did Lauren Jackson go to college again??? Penny Taylor???

Reply #851056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cambage...

Reply #851058 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Statistically speaking, nobody makes it into the WNBA from anywhere. Or the NBA, or the NFL, or MLB. The number of athletes who succeed at that level is vanishingly small, no matter where they come from. There are hundreds of thousands of college athletes, and a handful of pro spots. Of course most of them don't make it.

Reply #851062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't Seebohm with a mix of young wnbl players beat vic Schaefer’s top 4 USA/college side at universade.

Reply #851063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lucas and team I believe won also a few years before against Maryland I believe.

Reply #851065 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Other aussies who have performed very well in the WNBA: Brogan, Timms, Phillips, Bevilaqua, Brondello, Harrower, ... so yeah, college really not necessary.

Aussies who have been drafted out of college: Hibbert, Foley, Payne, Lacey, Ardossi, Wallace, Smith. (any others?). That's a lot of zero-WNBA-impact, two one-and-done careers, and Smith (who I think will be touch-and-go to get a contract when her rookie contract expires at the end of this season).
Steph Talbot has had more impact that all of them combined, so college is overrated as a pathway for aussies for sure.

Reply #851067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

__

How many aussie's go to college and get drafted to the WNBA vs Aussie's picked up from the WNBL pathway.

WNBL is a pathway for talented young aussie females to get drafted. NCAA isn't, it is for those that are trying to make the WNBL and come home with a free education.

Looking at the Wiki below.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_WNBA_players

Players Drafted out of College
Alanna Smith
Alison Lacey
Leilani Mitchell (Dual)

May have missed one but 3/36 players to play in the WNBA came from outside of NCAA

Reply #851069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wallace. 4/37

Reply #851070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

List is not really correct, Tupaea drafted, Mijovic drafted, few others.

Reply #851072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Although didn't play, still taken.

Reply #851074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players Drafted out of College
Alanna Smith
Alison Lacey
Leilani Mitchell (Dual)

Mitchell wasn't a dual citizen until she came to play in the WNBL
Wallace never entered WNBA she was injured at the end of college .... only one really is Smith, she’s playing under her national coach and doesn’t really see the court

College is a waste of time even education wise , as any degree you may get is not recognised here in Australia

Reply #851075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When and if they align the wnbl with the nbl teams, I think that will be the point where you will see a dip in players going to higher D1 colleges and instead more Aussie/nz prospects will go to wnbl. Hopefully by then players can get minimum 40k as 10th man, with salary cap heading towards 450-500k with marquee/import exemptions etc.

Reply #851082 | Report this post

Cool Howie  
Years ago

"College is a waste of time even education wise , as any degree you may get is not recognised here in Australia"

LMAO what a load of drivel

Reply #851093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

College degrees are in fact recognized in Australia. Second it's a great experience if you chose a school at your true level

Reply #851095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Getting drafted in the WNBA is very different to the NBA where first round picks get the 3/4 years of guaranteed money.

A WNBA draft pick is basically an invitation to try out for the team. Most teams have some veterans on guaranteed max money, then its a fight for the rest of the roster spots. The roster only goes out to 11 unlike the nba.

Turning up to the team starts the clock on these decisions. Perhaps the Heal camp wasn't aware of this dynamic as they treated getting drafted as a big deal with celebrations and got over there as soon as she could.

Another thing is with her game style of creative handles and one on one play that really stands out in the WNBL, although perhaps that isn't a point of difference in the WNBA with American players built on that style.

She is going to have a great career although perhaps this portion of her career could have been handled better (especially by the Sky front office).

Ezi took her time heading over and worked on a few things before showing up to camp.

I guess it goes to show how well the likes of Talbot, Allen, Whitcomb, O'Hea, Bevilaqua have done/or did to hand around in that league for 5+ years and find a role on different teams without being drafted.

Reply #851101 | Report this post

Cool Howie  
Years ago

Real ballers like Joe Ingles and Dejan Vasiljevic have hit out at the disrespect. smh man

Reply #851104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The women's game is evolving and the days of smaller guards are numbered just like the men’s game has.

Reply #851112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aus have always had small pgs 5'5-5’6.

Ebzery, Madgen although we’re 2s and Wallace n Melbourne are the only 1s over 5’9.

Reply #851113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harrower
Bevilaqua
Phillips
McLeod
Mitchell
Lavey
Conti
Heal
Scanlon
Amoore
Rocci
Mangakahia
Loughridge
Deeble

List goes on n on under 5'8. Probably 10 others.

Reply #851120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"College degrees are in fact recognized in Australia. Second it's a great experience if you chose a school at your true level"

Sadly that's incorrect, whilst you may receive some credits for some subjects , all require addition units to be taken to meet Australian standards for university degrees
Most who go do you basic sports science degree , not worth the paper it written on really, but then the industry it gets you into really doesn’t need much
If you actually wanted to study anything with substance your wasting your time doing it in the USA unless that’s where you wish to work

Most kids don’t find that out until it’s too late as they are blinded by the hype of college and a “free “education.

Reply #851142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ezi handled it perfectly getting a degree here while playing for the boomers.

Reply #851143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, one of the Froling twins came home after one year I think it was. She wanted to be a Physio and found out she would have to do her entire degree again when she got some, so she came home and just did it once

Reply #851145 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Honestly, its good to know its not just non english speaking countries that are forced to do extra study to get their qualification recognised. Gonna be an expensive exercise for my better half.

Reply #851162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#142 exactly.

Reply #851163 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Ebzery, Madgen although we're 2s and Wallace n Melbourne are the only 1s over 5’9.

Jades dad is back on

Reply #851168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the issue, Melbourne is a 1 and 5’9.

Reply #851169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ebzery n Madgen were the sg's for WC, Mitchell n Mansfield were the 1s.
Both pgs got injured and both Ebzery n Madgen played the point and have been doing so ever since

Reply #851170 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

This will explain a lot, it has been previously mentioned about the players turning their backs on Shyla during attempts at high fives etc and passing the ball over her head to other team mates so they could run the point.
The girl who cut got and reinstated played AAU with a prominent team member. The girl who replaced Shyla played AAU and grew up in Chicago, read the comments. If this was reversed it would be all over the news is all i will say

https://twitter.com/Lexiebrown/status/1400565036083388416

Reply #851171 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" This will explain a lot, it has been previously mentioned about the players turning their backs on Shyla during attempts at high fives etc and passing the ball over her head to other team mates so they could run the point."

Any coach whom accepts this shouldn't coach ever again.

Reply #851172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did sandy have space on roster wth taurasi out for a while?

Reply #851173 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Any coach whom accepts this shouldn't coach ever again

If you read the comments in the twitter post it is evident it's more about a cultural issue than her skill level, really unfair. The coach (well there is no delicate way to say it) shares the same culture. The fans on the post do also. The asst coach (snowman from Frozen) will likely be next.
The intro on the WNBA app is all BLM with Cambage front and centre. The gun PG is the exception but has played 300 games and has everyones respect. Tough place and not her fault, could have gone anywhere and under Sandy this would not have happened

Reply #851176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why doesn't Sandy B pick her up and mentor here ????

Reply #851178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly just wasn't a good team fit for Shyla

Reply #851179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach will get the chop next 2 more losses and he is done

Reply #851180 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I find it interesting that consensus swung from "clearly not up to it, likely to get cut" to "this is an OUTRAGE!" once the news broke.

Reply #851181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find it interesting that consensus swung from "clearly not up to it, likely to get cut" to "this is an OUTRAGE!" once the news broke.

I think it is more why draft her in the first place, make a 19yo go over there and then do what they did like that

Reply #851182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should have just drafted her and kept her right for future use.

Evans no different to heal.

Reply #851188 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

Many comments have centred on shyla's playing style, how she put up 3 attempt too early. Yet when i saw the LA game, i saw other players put up early shots that were badly formed. Team turnovers very high. Very poor cutting and getting open. And a sulky attitude by coach and most players. In this context, shyla's game was not a disaster. Her defence was energetic and she created a lot of pressure, forced them to stretch their passes. The coach looked a loser from the tipoff. Lots of negativity. The environment looked toxic. Sorry for Shyla that she found this out the hard way.

Reply #851189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crazy how sandy plays Vaughn over smith, and that peddy remains.

Reply #851191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sandy is going to be ousted from Mercury after this season imo. Probably from opals too.

Reply #851194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kunek would be better than cunningham

Reply #851195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sandy's not going anywhere. Only 12 roster spots doesn’t allow for keeping someone active on your roster who you can’t play (Shyla). Kunek would be a better option than Cunningham and should be in the Opals Olympics team

Reply #851198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sandy should be cut if she doesnt medal.
Cant go into next years World Cup with her in charge.

Reply #851199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dam, I should be posting in wnba thread.

Reply #851200 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

A few hours ago

This will explain a lot, it has been previously mentioned about the players turning their backs on Shyla during attempts at high fives etc and passing the ball over her head to other team mates so they could run the point.
The girl who cut got and reinstated played AAU with a prominent team member. The girl who replaced Shyla played AAU and grew up in Chicago, read the comments. If this was reversed it would be all over the news is all i will say

https://twitter.com/Lexiebrown/status/1400565036083388416

The culture at that club, like most in the WNBA isn't what you would call "inclusive" the same goes for many college teams unfortunately, only have to speak with players who either returned or moved colleges , the same underlying issue can be found .
Shula is better off away from that type of environment, as they say “revenge is a dish best served cold” she can spend the next few years mastering her ability, then wipe the floor with team USA

Reply #851243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is that tweet supposed to prove other than 2 AAU teammates from many years ago now reuniting in Chicago?

Reply #851245 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

"If this was reversed it would be all over the news is all i will say"

Sometimes a story like this comes along that seems ordinary at the time, yet it is not. It certainly points to cultural, or (perhaps) racial biases that run in more than one direction.

Frankly I am quite outraged at how Sky treated Shyla, who I consider one of us. I know her father is a "colourful figure", but Shyla can't help that. She has represented Aust with distinction. I've got no idea if that prick Sky coach and player "leaders" have a conscience, perhaps in the years ahead some may reflect upon their actions with regret.

For me, the episode resonates as my daughter is beginning to assess whether to enter the US college system. The 2 of us will be more cautious following this incident.

Reply #851247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is that tweet supposed to prove other than 2 AAU teammates from many years ago now reuniting in Chicago?

There was dissension in the team when she got cut for Shyla. See below another tweet from her, note the comments of the culture and tell me if there would be outrage if it was reversed.

From the other team mates twitter Diamond De Shields...check both their twitter accounts and it is full of it, why would people around a pretty innocent 19 yo have not checked this out before she went there. De Shields wasn't happy until she got Brown back

It be white people ...disrespecting black athletes . Don't just say "a fan" let’s really talk about what’s goin on in pro sports right now . This shit is bigger than having a “passionate fan base” . It’s disrespectful af .

Reply #851251 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

For me, the episode resonates as my daughter is beginning to assess whether to enter the US college system. The 2 of us will be more cautious following this incident.
Despite the fact that this has nothing to do with college whatsoever?

Reply #851253 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I understand it and I dont think it is personal just the principle...sheep to wolves and people around her should have looked after her

Reply #851254 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Everyone should watch espn doco on Kayo called 144 and it is self explanatory. It isn't personal but what a set up for the kid

Reply #851255 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

koberulez

anon243 writes
"The culture at that club, like most in the WNBA isn't what you would call "inclusive" the same goes for many college teams unfortunately, only have to speak with players who either returned or moved colleges , the same underlying issue can be found ."

I concur.

Reply #851257 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

People really seem to be desperate for a scapegoat here when the reasons are pretty straight forward.
Assuming Shyla keeps improving her game (and why wouldn't she - she's only 19 and has been improving at an impressive rate until now), getting cut like this works out nicely for her in that she's now an unrestricted free agent and can sign with whoever she wants. So anyone blaming this on cultural issues at a particular club should be happy that she is now no longer bound to them for at least 3 years.

Reply #851258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So does she get her contract fully paid out???

Reply #851273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chicago Sky win the WNBA Championship. Does Shyla still get a ring?

Reply #874339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So anyone blaming this on cultural issues at a particular club should be happy that she is now no longer bound to them for at least 3 years"

Yep Chicago going nowhere , be lucky to make the Playoffs.

Reply #874342 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Major egg on their faces atm.

Reply #874343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sandy B out coached again.

Reply #874349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ not out coached, out gunned

Reply #874351 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think some people's blind hatred of Brondello get the better of them at times.
Phoenix did a great job of getting this far considering Hartley is just coming off an ACL, they lost Cunningham and then had her back on restricted minutes, Taurasi was on one leg, and then Kia Nurse went down with an ACL. They showed a lot of heart - certainly more than the top 2 Sun & Aces.
Sandy is a pretty solid WNBA coach IMO.

Reply #874352 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

See, when you cut a Heal you win a Championship.

Well done Chicago Sky.

Reply #874361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sandy has had 3 usa starters for 7+ years. She had taylor at sf early on also to and many other quality players along with a big 3.

Her draft selections and trades have been poor, very poor

Only 1 championship in her career in 2014. 1 in 9 seasons as coach, 3 seasons in which by far the best roster.

54% win rate as hc is also not good imo given what she inherited at the Mercury.
Reeve who actually built a team has a 67% win rate and 4 championships in the same time frame.
Most other long term coaches have 55%+ win rate.

Mercury could keep her, but the opals should not.
Her opals win rate of 63% in nowhere near good enough over 4 years.
Every other coach 85%+ as hc

World rankings
2017 rank #3 - sandy ytakeover
2019 rank #2
2021 rank #3 - updated this year
2023 rank #6 (based on results so far) after the 2 year update.
Pooor wc in 2022 and we could drop further, maybe #8

Reply #874364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skyla Diggins has only been there for 2 seasons. I agree with Luuuc, Mercury overachieved this season and were gallant in defeat

Reply #874371 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Her draft selections and trades have been poor, very poor

This part I agree with. I'm not sure how much blame to apportion to the GM and how much to Sandy, but they have a poor record with drafting and assessing younger talent in general.
(In spite of that, they still could very well have won a title this season had the injury gods been less cruel to them)

Reply #874378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tbf most teams had injuries across the season, think that's an excuse.

Reply #874379 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Not sure an "excuse" is needed for finishing runner-up! but sure - they weren't the only team hit by injuries. I think 2 ACLs is still pretty bad though, by any standards.
Stewie's injury ended any chance that Seattle had, Washington would have been a different team with a healthy Delle Donne, and Vegas already had more than enough to win a title but would have had even more with McCoughtry. So yeah, a lot of things could have been different.

Reply #874380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be interesting next year, another year on taurasi, paddy.
The draft will be interesting as it is big heavy and they need a guard.

Reply #874381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jade Melbourne is #21 on the mock draft.

Reply #874382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope Jade doesn't get cut 2 weeks into the season as well.

Reply #874384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No assurances in the wnba, more than half were cut in 2021 draft.

Reply #874385 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Does drafting but cutting Shyla mean that Chicago retains the rights to her should she develop enough to play WNBA?

Reply #874389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No completely cut.

Reply #874395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not like in the other sports where there are dozens of teams and can allow some time for development. Plenty of great players coming out of college every year and not many retiring. Dog eat Dog league.

Reply #874398 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, for financial reasons the rosters are kept minimal so there aren't many teams that are able to carry development players these days.

For someone like Heal that's not such a bad thing, assuming she keeps improving.
IMO it's better for someone like her to be an unrestricted free agent and make her own choice about where to play, rather than being stuck for years with the team that drafted her but potentially in bad situation for playing time / development.

Reply #874407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Jade Melbourne is #21 on the mock draft."

Mock , get it , mock . Jesus Christ .

Reply #874419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huh?

Reply #874424 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Does drafting but cutting Shyla mean that Chicago retains the rights to her should she develop enough to play WNBA?

She was traded to Dallas and they were the ones that cut her not Chicago.

Reply #874433 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Thanks, Zodiac

Reply #874442 | Report this post

Still Agro  
Years ago

(Mod: Legally problematic.)

Reply #877270 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:26 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754