Anonymous
Years ago

Bad Sport - Isaac Burton

Interesting to see former Sydney King Isaac Burton play a leading role in the new Netflix Doco "Bad Sport" - First episode exposes Burton and ASU Teammate Stevin Smith and their points shaving scandal in the 90s.

Topic #49333 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man I watched this a few nights ago and didn't realise one of the dudes was Iceman. He look old af.

Reply #874373 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I knew he was caught up in point shaving and served some time, but I didn't remember the specifics and was surprised as hell when he popped up on the screen. Good episode though, really enjoyed it.

Reply #874377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder how many others did it and got away with it. Seems such an innocent crime, but with the amount of money involved, how many stars shaved a few points here and there.

Reply #874402 | Report this post

Anonymous Kings  
Years ago

Great episode.

What was weird for Kings fans was that he first played for Sydney while the investigation was happening and then returned to the Kings years later after his punishment.

Reply #874430 | Report this post

Nightwatchman  
Years ago

Great episode.

What was weird for Kings fans was that he first played for Sydney while the investigation was happening and then returned to the Kings years later after his punishment.

Isaac Burton second stint with the Kings is largely forgotten. From memory the Kings season was in serious trouble and Burton team in (Turkey?) agreed to lend him out for the last couple games of the season. Kings failed to qualify for the playoffs and Burton returned to his team. It was the last season Brett Brown coached with the Kings before he headed off to the Spurs.

Reply #874437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burton played for Newcastle for a while as well from memory.

Reply #874441 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

re: point shaving in general I remember reading something years ago (might have been off the back of the Donaghy scandal) that talked about the statistically improbable number of games where the favoured team doesn't reach the spread in lower-end college hoops games. I'm sure it happens a whole lot even to this day - as is touched on in the doco, college hoops is the perfect spot for it and basketball the perfect sport.

Reply #874447 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I remember when he was playing for the Falcons against the Tigers, fans had some wads of what I assume were fake US bills and every time he was on the free throw line or something offering him some money. The Falcons actually won that game and he came over to give it back to them after the game, but all appeared good natured.

Reply #874453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem is always going to exist at Collegiate Basketball level because of the number of divisions, gambling access only getting easier thanks to online sites and the simple fact these universities and the NCAA make millions each year off of these 'amateur' athletes. Until the NCAA start paying their athletes, then those on scholarships who can't work or accept outside assistance will continue to be easy targets for professional gamblers.

There was an article done a few years ago saying that the NCAA can sacrifice 15-20% of their annual profits, and it would see all D1 and D2 Football and Basketball players paid approx 500 per month for six months (Season Length) and heavily reduce the risk of point shaving

Reply #874470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It can happen in any low/no pay league though. You've got bookmakers taking bets on semi pro and amateur sports all over the world which is just asking for trouble

Reply #874473 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

It was all working fine until they just had to get gold chains and trucks with rims.

They needed a sound financial controller to guide them on enjoying life whilst maintaining austerity, but I understand the lure of the lifestyle when they have been poor for so long.

Reply #874474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The point shaving scandel came out after he left the Sydney Kings but was before he joined Newcastle.

Burton admitted he was surprised that the Newcastle Falcons gave him an opportunity as he thought his career was finished. He was in the country visiting his girlfriend when they called.

Burton also noted not everyone was as forgiving as the owner of the North Melbourne Giants at the time refused to meet him.

As mentioned Burton faced punishment after his stint with the Falcons but before his second stint with the Kings.

Reply #874519 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I always found it really difficult to give a shit about this point shaving scandal. These guys are young black men often with no money, not being paid and from poor families. Who cares if they shave some points in some meaningless amateur basketball game. Some might say well go and get a job? Players on basketball scholarships are essentially full-time pro's they're students in name only.

The real crime is the NCAA, college basketball makes Billions of dollars off the backs of these young men and women and wasn't paying them a cent.

A great movie to watch about the insidious college "student'athlete" industry is Blue Chips starring young Shaq & Penny Hardaway.

Reply #874644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #874645 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:16 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754