BRUCE265
Years ago

NBL Ref's take a leaf out of WNBL's books

Watched four transitions of NBL replay on Fox at work the other day (Bisbane vs Wildcats elimination final)and walked off in disgust. Being a current A2 official and past VBA Junior and Senior VBA referee plus VBL league experience, was able to pick up three missed calls in four transitions, all by one of our so-called greatest referee's. Spoke to my friend / president of local referees assoc, who agreed the umpiring was discraceful, especially from that official. Watched most of the second half including o/t of the WNBL prelim final and could hardly pick an error, maybe 1-2 over 25+ mins of ball. From my experience in the VBRA level and stories from within the NBL, politics and mates rates are rife. The top 5-10 officials have more experience and status than their evaluators. Too many of the senior officials rely on reputation and not their current prformances. The NBL desperately needs a referees coach from the NCCA or Europeon leagues to enforce the fundamentals of the game and make all referees accountable for their decisions. I don't think that the NBL needs to be officiated NBA style and allow excessive contact and travelling. It only confuses spectators and juniors trying to learn the game.

Topic #6198 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously didn't notice that Megan Thompson (who reffed the WNBL semi) is incapable of even signalling fouls correctly.

Reply #69947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce big call there but question why a current ref would openly bag other refs on a forum.

If you are a level 2 ref maybe you don't see the bigger picture of nbl basketball are they missed calls or are they calls let go on purpose there is a difference.

I'd suggest if you don't know the difference and that you can't see that evaluators are often as highly accredited. Michael Butler evaluates here as does Mal Cooper in Melbourne to name just 2, you deserve your level 2 ranking.

Referees know that speaking in an open forum is against their code of conduct.

I'm sure they love to be attacked from within their own ranks.

Reply #69953 | Report this post

Fresh  
Years ago

Brucey baby - I hope this is not the regular conduct of other victorian umpires.

Here in SA the Refs stick up for each other and yes you will find the Nbl is called differently because it is a different league.

Travels and physical contact is let go more because there is less dis advantage!!!!!!!

people go to see a free flow game, not too many whistles.

I did think the wnbl final was called well although not sure Thompson will get the final???

Arnold is a shoe in, and perhaps could be working in the Nbl

Reply #69962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shazza is one of the best refs in the country. I think she'll probably be reffing every WNBL final until she retires, and why not? You know every single game she calls is going to be under control, no matter who her partner is.

She is without question the best female referee in Australia, and probably top 5 or 10 refs overall.

Reply #69973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL refs shouldn't be as strict as lower levels. It is a League built for entertainment. It depends on the situation obviously, but certain fouls, or certain levels of foul, SHOULD be let go by NBL refs in the name of entertainment. As long as it's consistent at both ends (and THIS is where the NBL's problem is).

Reply #70001 | Report this post

BRUCE265  
Years ago

Thanks for your reply's and the great feedback regarding Shazza! I think she refereed very well in the WNBL game. In regard to the NBL situation, I am more than aware of the NBL trend and advantage / disadvatage and that it is a lot looser in the NBL than at VBA & VBL level. However the three missed calls I witnessed were clearly missed calls. 1st missed call, player held onto from foul line extended while dribbling to the hoop. Player was clearly disadvantaged and call should of been made. 2) Player penetrated top of the key by picking up dribble, jumping in the air from a two step motion then landing again before feeding ball for assist. Player has jumped off pivot foot and landed again. The jump was used to get past defence and draw attention to rotating defender and dish off. A travel by law and advantage / disadvatage principle applies. 3) Player was bumped after gaining control of loose ball and starting to dribble, looses control of body from bump and falls too floor. No call signal from umpire. Causes t/o and fastbreak. In regard to Mal Cooper and Michael Butler being evalautor's, this is what I was raising earlier. The evaluators are too close personally to the refrees putting a lot of preasure on them to remain objective.

Reply #70370 | Report this post

james coburn  
Years ago

trust me about michael, he will tell a referee when he has screwed up and any referee he won't listen to what he has to say would be very stupid.

Reply #70398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no Bruce you said that the top 5-10 officials had more experience than their evaluators.

you don't have to be a fanastic ref, make all positions and make all calls to be a good evaluator.

I totally disagree with you about being too close most evaluators will tell you what they think. If you weren't in the evaluation after the game how DO you know what is discussed or isn't discussed. Maybe those 'missed' calls might have been discussed.

still sounds like sour grapes to me.

Reply #70406 | Report this post

Fedor99  
Years ago

Fuck these cunts...fowl every five seconds NBL sucks why do you think the NBA is how it is. Dumb refeering pricks. Get your life sorted, people dont want to see you fat fucks destroy basketball.

Reply #443738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

u mad?

Reply #443786 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:18 am, Wed 15 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754